Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Lower Back Pain/Fatigue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    lumpy

Can anyone tell me some good mid/lower back workouts to prevent fatigue. I assume it is fatigue, as it only occurs when I have been training for over 2 hours (Seminars, fight class night). What I get is a sudden \”tweak\” in my lower back towards the end of an extended workout. Usually when I have used the lower back allot.

I am 225lbs, an I have sworn off weights for the last several months. I workout daily, but until now, I typically only do Supermans for my lower back.

More water? What kinda supplements help this fatigue? I do have a 10lb medicine ball if this jars any ideas.

Thanks, now its hot tub time……

kurtuan

Try going into the \”up\” position of a sit-up. Gradually lower yourself backwards as far as you can, then hold that position as long as you can. This will help both your abs and lower back.

also lie down on you back, knees bent, feet flat on the floor (like the down position of a sit-up). Pull your tailbone up by flexing your abs, then gradually rotate your hips clockwise (thereby raising and lowering your hips / lower back in a circular pattern) pausing at \”problem\” positions. This one is a little hard to explain, but hopefully it makes sense, it has helped me. Also superman’s (some call fishflops) are great. You can also do goodmornings with light to no weights. Hope this helps.

Kurt

kurtuan

And as always consulting a physician and/or physical therapist is your best bet… Especially before taking the advice of some schmuck on the internet 😉

daki

Re:

quote \”Kurtuan\:

And as always consulting a physician and/or physical therapist is your best bet… Especially before taking the advice of some schmuck on the internet 😉

But it’s on the internet! It MUST be true!

Planking and Reverse Planking might also help build up the endurance strength in your back.

cw4-ret-h

Lower Back Pain/Fatigue

I have a helpful exercise for the lower back (in addition to Superman’s and ab work) to be: sit on a mat on your buttocks with your feet in front of you and slightly bent, hold a dumb bell/medicine ball/weight plate (I use a 25# dumb bell) in front of you with elbows at about 90 degrees, raise your legs off the floor about four inches, turn to the left and back to the right as far as you can comfortably go — I found this to help both the lower back, a bit of the abs, and hip flexors.

nancypants

This page:

http://apfri.carlisle.army.mil/web/Publications/Executive_Health_and_Fitness_chapter_7.pdf

has a few abdominal/back suggestions in it if you scroll down to page 10 (Spinal Stabilization). It actually has some pretty good information in it overall – it’s part of an article and the chapter title is ‘Injury Control for Physically Active Men and Women’ put out by the Army Physical Fitness Research Institute. The entire article can be found here:

https://apfri.carlisle.army.mil/web/Publications/Redbook.htm

g-v

Re: Lower Back Pain/Fatigue

Lumpy, try doing sets of kicks, front, side and especially in your case, rear (mule) kicks. I initially started doing them to improve my kicks, but found they really work/strengthen the core in the process, as well as the legs themselves.

Like you, I stopped doing weights recently. I do a few circuits of lunges, followed by balistic squats, followed by kicks…does the trick for me.

g-v

N.Pants, that’s a handy article.

swhiteh3

Lumpy-

Find a good chiropractor. Muscles aches and pains are often caused by spinal mis-alignments which are agrivated during excercise. Basically, you’re muscles are spasming trying to hold everything in the right position. I train KM with my chiropractor, and he takes great care of me. And after 11 years of football (offensive line) – believe me I needed the attention on my back – it was messed up!!

garddawg

Lumpy,
    Just a question from someone who used to have back trouble. Why have you sworn off weight training?

clfmak

Bridging is good for the back and core muscles, along with the plank.

lumpy

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have incoorporated some of them. N.Pants that is a good site.

My chiropractor was upset with me as I had not been since March 05. He assured me he was doing just fine without collecting my money, and encouraged me to come in. I’ll be in there tomorrow for my second vistit this week.

Garddawg, I guess it is a time management issue why I have stopped with the weights. Between work and a 2 and 5 year old, I need to trim my workouts to 1 to 1 1/2 hours per day(during nap time). We have a very good weight room at the sheriffs office, but at 0100hrs in the morning, i’d rather sleep when I get off duty. I need to figure something out to get it going again.

jl

lumpy,
    try to fit it in. a small amount of time with the weights is better than no time with them. do a little every day. say maybe a couple muscle groups per workout. it won’t take that long and you’ll feel the result in 60 to 90 days. continue to see the bone breaker, keeps you in good alignment, regardless. we call it the mini or accellerated work-out schedule. every year it gets busy at this time for business, I break my workouts down into bite sized pieces to fit it all in. this is scheduled with 5 hours a week of Krav. it can be done with some time management structuring. not easy but doable.

just my .02.
    😀

garddawg

lumpy,
    I agree with JL. Weightlifting properly, can only help with your back problem. Most of us have the same problems with work and kids. Trying to find time to fit in a workout is tough. I use CrossFit, and teach it to a lot of Mil and LEO. It’s short and effective and can be found at http://www.crossfit.com There are other programs out there that you can find as well. The main thing though is to find time to do a little bit everyday.

g-v

I disagree with the emphasis placed on weight lifting…it’s not an end-all for keeping healthy and conditioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: