This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why Krav?

I'm 55 and decided I had enough of being called the "old guy" or " Pops" About a year ago, There was a Krav class taught at the military base I work at < I'm retired military > So i started going to the class. It was taught by a friend of mine, and I loved it. After 8 months, he had to transfer out of the area. I also went to Krav Maga of Maryland. Krav has become a part of our lives < my wife started training as well > We both enjoy it a great deal. The increase in endurance, and self confidence are great. We've also met some great folks, and made some friends.

Comment

Greetings everyone! Letís see if I can keep this brief. Iíve always been interested in Martial Arts since I was a kid but was always afraid to get hit, so never took up the offer to sign up when I was younger. Fast forward to my adult years, and well frankly, I donít know the first thing about how to defend myself. At my age (38) I feel my pickings may be slim in that Iím not sure I have the time to dedicate to a true Martial ďArt.Ē Make no mistake, I respect traditional Martial Arts IMMENSELY. I just donít feel I have the time to learn how to spin-kick someone in the face (just a quick non-specific example). So after much research, I found Krav to be as practical, effective and brutal as I need. I need something quick and ugly, because the fights Iíve witnessed always devolve into that. Plus, Iíve got a woman in my life now. Took my lifetime to find her, and now that weíve found each other, Iíll guard her with everything I got! Sheís tough and can take care of herself. But the extra Krav knowledge doesnít hurt. To further elaborate, I saw a youtube video of a recovering couple who were jumped, but she got the brunt of the attack and has been rehabbing for a few years. Sheís in good shape but still recovering (you could see the scars from her head surgery) and that hit home for me. So thatís why I picked Krav. To learn to defend not just myself, but those most dear to me. Iím now 7 weeks in, but Iím in for the long haul. Iím loving it more and more and eager to take it as far as I can take! I definitely want to go as high as the belts allow, and hopefully, with enough training and discipline, be able to test into black belt!

Thanks for reading!
      "Unyielding Resolve has no Conqueror"

"The least likely can be the most dangerous"

"Believing in yourself improves your aim better than target practice."

Comment

I had 2 experiences which prompted me to try to learn some form of self defense. First, my family was randomly attacked by a person with a mental illness; my mother in particular was in serious danger in that situation. Thankfully we were together with a large group of people and the situation was contained quickly. But what if it had happened to her and me alone? Would I know what to do and how to protect her? Then I was jogging with the one who was my wife back then, when a group of 4 young people neared us and started saying disrespectful things to my wife. I took a stand and faced them, confident enough to make them stop, but I was sure that if they had all attacked me at once I would have been overwhelmed and beaten. This time there wasn't anyone else around to help us, so I was lucky. This made me consider learning some form of self-defense for the very first time, as I didn't have any martial arts background. After doing some extensive research, having conversation with martial artists, asking questions about what would be the most effective form of self-defense, reading forums and watching countless videos of fighting situations, I came to the conclusion that Krav Maga was the way to go. It was perfect for me because 1. I could learn to defend myself quickly rather than spend a large amount of time learning forms as with traditional martial arts, and 2. It is a system whose techniques are designed to work effectively assuming I am not an athletic or martial arts experienced individual.

Comment

Well TBH with you I wanted to learn a self defense sport, checked a couple of videos and read online and Krav Maga is right for me I guess. I fell in love with the videos on YouTube.

Comment

i like krav maga , because i'm more secure now.

Comment

Because it's the only dojo around my house....

Comment

Hi! I have just started Krav training. I launched my first vlog (video blog) about my experience this week.

My vlog is called "My Fighting Stance: a KRAV VLOG. In this first post I talk specifically about why I decided to train. I hope you will check it out!

http://sharonautry.wordpress.com/

Comment

I wanted to train in a MA that was focused primarily on practical self-defense as opposed to competitions.

Briefly trained in TKD when I was in college, but dropped out because I couldn't execute the high kicks very well as I'm not that flexible. Also didn't feel 100% confident in my ability to defend myself in a real-life fight or assault.

I work next to the KMW NTC in L.A., and always wanted to take classes, but couldn't afford the tuition. Then last year my employer started offering deeply-discounted corporate memberships, and I HAD to go for it.

A year later, I'm only an L2 but still feel like I could defend myself and my loved ones long enough to get to safety if the need ever arose.

And for those of you who think you're too old to do KM, I'm a 49-year-old heart attack survivor who is able to hold his own with the 20-something boys and girls in his classes. :)
                  "I've always believed that the mind is the best weapon."
                  - Sylvester Stallone as John Rambo, RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II

Comment

• To be honest, I was looking for something cool to do and be different from others, maybe playing an instrument, I thought about doing magic, or practicing a sport. A friend of my class showed me a video that completely left me speechless. Krav Maga involve everything that I was looking for, discipline, force, courage, responsibility, respect to others, and an ideology of life that complement greatly to how I want to live my life.

Comment

• I found the videooo!!

Comment

• I was looking for an art that would challenge myself to lose weight and involved real self defense. I has been working out and it helped me survive my first class. But my poor shoulders killed me . Anyway 'Im going back today fro my next class. Its real world, its a good defense, and I plan on taking the soreness till my body adapts. Its a good physical exercise as well. I'm overweight and need it . Finding new muscles I never had and am enjoying this painful feeling.

Comment

Working...
                        X