Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Balancing Aggression With Tactical Caution Re: Balancing Aggression With Tactical Caution

oldkmdude

Re: Balancing Aggression With Tactical Caution

I think both Krav and what you learn from sparring are useful in a real world situation. Let me give an example from the way back machine. In a former life, I was a bouncer. A 5’8″, 155lb bouncer. Not very intimidating, right? The only reason I wasn’t getting my ass kicked on a weekly basis was that I had a set of go-to moves that I was able to use for most situations.

I think of the defenses in Krav as a set of go-to moves. In other professions they call this a “best practice.” If someone is stupid enough to choke you from the front, you have a best practice. Same goes for a headlock, choke against a wall, etc. That’s what we learn in Krav. If this, then that.

When your “best practice” works, it’s pretty damn cool. I’m thinking specifically of this one jujustu (Japanese, not Brazilian) hold that I would use to toss people out of the club. But every once in a while, as it tends to happen in the real world, I wouldn’t quite nail the move, or the guy would squirm out, or something would happen where I’d find myself facing someone who had gotten away from me and was squared up and ready to fight.

In that situation, I don’t have a best practice. I definitely have some go-to combinations and strategies, but I’m not going to do the same thing every time someone throws a punch because there are too many variables involved. I have to know how to read my opponent, how to move, and how to react. Most of that, I’ve learned from sparring, not from drills. Fighting is always plan B, but you gotta have a plan B.

Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: