Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    terrym

Hello Everyone,

I attend a Krav Maga regional school in NY. Our curriculum breaks each level into 2 parts, 1st half and 2nd half, with each half being a different color.

Level 1 Yellow/orange
    level 2 green/blue
    Level 3 purple/red
    level 4 brown/advanced brown

When you test it is only for one half. So level one testing to level 2 would have to take green test first, 6 months later can take blue to advance to level 2.

Is this the new format, are there other schools like this?

Any info would be appreciated,
    Thanks,

Terry M.

lennykravitz

Re: Half Belt Curriculum

Initial reaction would be that it is a money making excersise (more gradings, more cash). Best to query the instructor involved and report back!

mdeaneuscg

Yeah, depends on if they are charging a full testing fee for each half…

Also, is it just me, or has anyone else not heard of a purple and red belt in the KMW level system? Have you picked up a copy of Complete Krav Maga? That is pretty much the curriculum outline for each level that the KMW program adheres too. While some things change, I haven’t heard of two new belts and half level tests.

Our studio does what we call a ‘stripe’ test. For each advancing level, you have to complete a test for all levels below the one you are advancing towards, before you can take your advancement test. In these stripe tests, technique has to be demonstrated at your current level of skill, to show a higher understanding of the techniques. This forces you to not just dump all the prior techniques in pursuit of the new ones, but also to further train in the lower level techniques to the point that you look like a green or blue belt doing them.

P.S. We do not have to pay any fee to stripe. The instructor feels that if we aren’t getting a certificate and belt out of it, we shouldn’t need to be paying for it.

kevinmack

purple and red? what the hell?

kmyoshi

quote MDeaneUSCG:

Yeah, depends on if they are charging a full testing fee for each half…

Also, is it just me, or has anyone else not heard of a purple and red belt in the KMW level system? Have you picked up a copy of Complete Krav Maga? That is pretty much the curriculum outline for each level that the KMW program adheres too. While some things change, I haven’t heard of two new belts and half level tests.

Our studio does what we call a ‘stripe’ test. For each advancing level, you have to complete a test for all levels below the one you are advancing towards, before you can take your advancement test. In these stripe tests, technique has to be demonstrated at your current level of skill, to show a higher understanding of the techniques. This forces you to not just dump all the prior techniques in pursuit of the new ones, but also to further train in the lower level techniques to the point that you look like a green or blue belt doing them.

P.S. We do not have to pay any fee to stripe. The instructor feels that if we aren’t getting a certificate and belt out of it, we shouldn’t need to be paying for it.

What school (org) are you at? I believe KMW does this as well although we don’t have “stripe” tests. The further up the system you go, the longer the test is because you have to also test in the techniques the previous level taught. In Krav Maga, everything builds on the other, so you’ll still see level 1 techniques in say level 3, it’s just that level 3 continues to build on the foundation that level 1 started with.

Also, not sure if the OP is at KMW or with a different organization.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: