Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Choosing a Krav Maga DVD set?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tacoman32

Hello everyone, I’ve been browsing these forums for a while and am looking for some opinions on the many amounts of different dvd sets so I can train at home with a buddy of mine. We both took a small amount of classes in Krav Maga, and we loved it but we really wanna train at home too to save the pricey monthly fees for we aren’t around because of college. When browsing on amazon, I found the following sets which all are reviewed well, so it is hard for me to decide between them.

ultimate Krav Maga (Starring Duncan Pattle, John Whitman, Amnon Darsa and Eyal Yanilov)

Mastering Krav Maga (Starring David Kahn, Mike Delahanty, Rinaldo Rossi and Don Melnick)

Urban Krav Maga 6-dvd box set

Street Krav Maga (Starring Branimir Tudjan)

Krav Maga (5 disk, Starring Krav Maga Federation Head Instructor Eyal Yanilov US Chief Instructor Darren Levine)

Or the most expensive set of Krav DVDs with Alain Cohen.

For the meantime, a buddy of mine lent me the haganah dvd, and we like the POR system and a few of the hand to hand moves, we were less than happy with the knife and gun defenses because of how much risk some of the moves added; by no means am I trying to say its terrible, but could use work in the weapons dept.

We want the one where we can easily learn so the presentation is clear and the guys know what they talk about, and don’t waste a lot of time repeating things like “remember to avoid getting hit”…

Thanks so much guys, these forums are great!

tacoman32

Re: Choosing a Krav Maga DVD set?

And sorry for the double post, but this is past the 10-min editing time…

I just wanted to add that my training partner and friend is a park ranger at an amusement park in the summer and I’m considering in becoming one too, so we cannot afford (mainly him at this point) to learn anything questionable or new and unproven in combat because if it doesn’t work, it can make a situation turn worse for my friend than it needs to be. This is why we need to make sure what we get is a no-BS and no gimmick set, even though I’m sure all of the above choices are great. We are just cautious because of us being less than pleased with some of the techniques in the haganah dvds.

Still, thanks for any suggestions and reviews for the sets everybody!

inky

Herse my 2 cents

quote tacoman32:

+ 1 ultimate Krav Maga (Starring Duncan Pattle, John Whitman, Amnon Darsa and Eyal Yanilov)

+ 2 Mastering Krav Maga (Starring David Kahn, Mike Delahanty, Rinaldo Rossi and Don Melnick)

– 1 Urban Krav Maga 6-dvd box set

Just my opinion as i have not seen the other set’s

tacoman32

Thanks for the suggestion Inky! May I ask why you choose those 2 particular ones over the other? I would just like to know any differences that are between the sets. Also, what would be a reason for rating mastering > ultimate?

And anyone else who knows these same ones or the others, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

bear34

quote tacoman32:

Thanks for the suggestion Inky! May I ask why you choose those 2 particular ones over the other? I would just like to know any differences that are between the sets. Also, what would be a reason for rating mastering > ultimate?

And anyone else who knows these same ones or the others, I’m all ears.

Thanks!

You might want to check out the reviews on Amazon. The reviews for Ultimate are excellent but the reviews on Mastering are even better.

tacoman32

Yea I’m reading the reviews and nothing short of 5 stars… I guess that for now, or until someone can recommend something better with a good reason, I guess that I will lean toward David Khan’s. I do like the part about it being accurate Israeli Krav Maga, not the stuff that a few instructors modified for better or for worse (usually worse IMO).

inky

I have trained with IKMA, IKMF, KMG and I am with KMW now.
    anything from IKMF/KMG or KMWW are soo very close to eatch other in terms of curriculum and both have some awesome instructors as well as bad. they are the biggest here in the USA. IKMA is similar in striking but has a much more robust ground fighting platform as well as more variations on several techniques.
    The Urban KM set is Krav Maga plus several other systems like Aikido, BJJ, MMA ECT. Still good but not just a one system philosophy.
    anything by John Whitman KMA, Darin Lavine KMW, Avi Moyal IKMF, Eyal Yanilov KMG, David Kahn IKMA should make for good material.

Oh and i say those 2 cuz i have them. and i have the Urban KM app and it kinda sucks… my opinion.

lennykravitz

quote tacoman32:

Yea I’m reading the reviews and nothing short of 5 stars… I guess that for now, or until someone can recommend something better with a good reason, I guess that I will lean toward David Khan’s. I do like the part about it being accurate Israeli Krav Maga, not the stuff that a few instructors modified for better or for worse (usually worse IMO).

Mastering hands down followed by Ultimate (a pretty good set in itself).

My 2¢

tacoman32

Alright thanks guys, I’ll look at the dvds a bit more before ordering it, but if all of u guys really think that David’s set is best then I will take it into heavy consideration, and probably pick it up sometime soon… Thanks for the help guys.

tacoman32

Hey sorry if this is a necro, but I just wanted to say that I have just received the DVD set of Mastering Krav Maga with David Kahn and I’m liking it a lot so far. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

bear34

quote tacoman32:

Hey sorry if this is a necro, but I just wanted to say that I have just received the DVD set of Mastering Krav Maga with David Kahn and I’m liking it a lot so far. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

I think this set is fantastic. I find it interesting that so much of the IKMA curriculum student level is only covered at the IKMF graduate level. I have previously found that much of the P level IKMF curriculum isn’t covered until the higher levels in KMW.

I am hoping to get a chance to train with David Kahn later in the year.

scottie

Hi there,
    Looks like this thread has been asleep for awhile, but it’s very useful for me as a brand-new Krav Maga student. I just started taking classes here in NYC, with instructor James Sherman. I’m looking for DVD sets so I can practice at home, because so far I seem to be the person who most often requires “extra attention” from the instructor!
    The general recommendation here seems to be the Mastering Krav Maga series with David Kahn. My question is, would this be appropriate for a beginner? Or should I start with something else?

Thanks!
    -scottie

celtickm

To be honest Scottie I have watched a few DVDs but not David Khans and the best lessons I found were these:

http://www.kravmagaalliance.com/media/video-demos/

so I just downloaded them with DAP and I then hook my laptop up to the tv and train the odd weekend using them. Really very good and very well explained especially the footwork which I was rubbish at till watching these.

lennykravitz

Scottie

Get em all if you can or start with David’s Mastering set first.

mantis

Hello everyone, I found quite interesting Krav Maga dvd course called Krav Maga In No Time Has anybody heard or tried it? Any thoughts?
    Here is short review about it if you are interested: How to learn Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: