Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Choosing a Krav School in Tampa, Florida

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chipkrav

Hello. I wanted to come to the forums to get some opinions from some more “seasoned” Krav Maga practicioners (and hopefully some instructors) on choosing the proper school. My main purpose for wanting to take Krav Maga is to have the ability and the confidence to defend myself. I’m not interested in the fitness aspect, and I know there are some schools that cater mostly to the fitness crowd. That is why I decided, after much research, to bring my choice to this forum and get some opinions. There are two schools I’m looking at, and both are very different:

The first one is a KMWW facility. The instructor seems very dedicated and knowledgeable. The class is very fast-paced, and there is a big emphasis on the conditioning aspect. The students spend a great deal of time doing calisthenics (push-ups, etc.) and drills. Basically, it feels like boot camp, and the instructor’s reasoning for this is that you have to be able to have the stamina to last in a real fight, and he wants to purposely tire the students out and have them perform drills under duress to try and mimic a real fight scenario. This is done from day one. They offer one free class and packaged deals where you pay for 3-6 months up front.

The second is an IKMA facility that has just opened in a local Jewish community center. The instructor seems very dedicated and knowledgeable as well, but the class is slow paced compared to the first one. The focus is mainly on technique and the only conditioning is a 15 minute warm-up at the beginning that includes footwork (moving around in fighting position). The rest of the class is comprised of teaching maneuvers and working on executing the proper technique. The instructor’s reasoning is that he does not want to take up teaching time with calisthenics (students should do this separately from class), and you have to learn to strike correctly and precisely before you start doing drills and hitting bags, or you run the risk of injuring yourself in a fight by striking incorrectly. There will be drills, but only after you’ve mastered technique to the point where it is second nature. They offer per-class payment as well as packaged deals.

The reason I’m having such a hard time choosing is because, while both classes are different in pace and philosophy, both the instructors’ reasoning for doing things the way they do sound plausible. This is why I want to get some opinions here from others who have more knowledge than I do and can offer some insight. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

kmky

Re: Choosing a Krav School in Tampa, Florida

Did you try a class at each location? Which did you prefer?

chipkrav

I did try both. Personally, I prefer the slower class that breaks it all down better, but I don’t want to just pick a class that feels better to me. I want to pick a class that will enable me to effectively handle a street fight situation. That is why some objective opinions from some more seasoned Kravists and instructors would be useful to in making my decision. My big worry is wasting time and money on a Krav school that is giving me false confidence and only teaching me cardio kickboxing. I’ve heard you have to be careful because there are alot of people teaching false Krav Maga that is just for fitness. However, I have heard both sides of the argument. I’ve heard that technique is the most important thing to learn, but I’ve also heard that conditioning is also important, and all the reasons given for each sound logical.

bradm

ChipKrav,
    Another school you might consider. Tampa Bay Krav Maga – Largo is a Krav Maga Global (KMG) training center in Largo. It is owned and operated by Brian Peters and Joe Battle. I don’t know much about Joe but I have trained with Brain Peters. He is a top notch instructor. He trained in KMWW for awhile, I don’t know if he was an instrector for KMWW. I met him when I trained in CKM (no comments please, he is no longer with CKM for obvious reasons). For the past few years he has been training under Eyal Yanilov in KMG. I think most people can attest to Eyal Yanilov’s knowledge and skill in Krav Maga.

The address is Tampa Bay Krav Maga – Largo
    12504 Starky Rd
    Largo, FL 33773
    727-267-6684

Hope I haven’t oversteped any boundaries on this forum, but I thought I would offer you another option. Good luck.

chipkrav

Thanks brad, but that would be way to far for me, unfortunately. There are actually several schools around the greater Tampa Bay area, but part of the reason i narrowed it down to two classes is because they are the two best options at the closest distance from me.

kevinmack

While i might not agree about the class style i can say that the IKMA instructor Jason is very good at what he does. He was one of the better students at the NJ school.

sicpuppy

Did you ever settle down on a particular school???

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: