Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics How would you teach your child Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bear34

if you didn’t have a school available? What resources would you use(books, DVDs, etc. ?)

I have fallen out of love with my school but still want my kid to learn.

Any advice would be welcome.

kenlee25

Re: How would you teach your child Krav Maga

how old is your kid? Because my natural reply for any kid under the age of 15 is “I wouldn’t”.

Otherwise, you can teach him to fight if you have skill. It won’t be the best teaching and probably won’t be krav maga (just whatever you want to call your own martial arts style) but it’s not that hard to teach on your own actually. I’ve done it with friends before…but you have to be willing to work with them.

idbl-fanatic

Our training place won’t allow anyone under 13 to do Krav, however, they are teaching them basically the same stuff, and techniques that we are learning.

bear34

quote kenlee25:

how old is your kid? Because my natural reply for any kid under the age of 15 is “I wouldn’t”.

Otherwise, you can teach him to fight if you have skill. It won’t be the best teaching and probably won’t be krav maga (just whatever you want to call your own martial arts style) but it’s not that hard to teach on your own actually. I’ve done it with friends before…but you have to be willing to work with them.

My 14 yo has taken classes on and off for a couple years. It’s nothing new and I’m ranked green belt at this time.

don

quote kenlee25:

Oops, I guess I messed up then… :rolleyes:

Otherwise, you can teach him to fight if you have skill. It won’t be the best teaching

Wouldn’t that depend on whom you’re talking to? Or do you just say that to everyone you don’t know? :rolleyes:

and probably won’t be krav maga

Why not? :rolleyes:

(just whatever you want to call your own martial arts style) but it’s not that hard to teach on your own actually.

Did you just contradict yourself – or are you saying it’s not hard to teach when it doesn’t matter how good your instruction is?

I’ve done it with friends before… but you have to be willing to work with them.

And the big yellow one is called the Sun…

embedded

don

quote bear34:

if you didn’t have a school available? What resources would you use(books, DVDs, etc. ?)

I have fallen out of love with my school but still want my kid to learn.

Any advice would be welcome.

Hey Bear, I say grab some pads/gloves and teach what you know – I’m thinking you have more experience/training than you think you do… Reference materials include just about everything – DVDs, books, articles, youtube videos, instructors/training partners, etc.

I think one of the important things is to try to make it fun and avoid him burning out – as an instructor, not only do I want my students to know how to catch their own fish, but I would love for them to enjoy catching fish, to learn other ways of catching fish, and to teach others to learn and enjoy catching fish…

What a great way to bond with him, especially at that age… thumbsup

bear34

quote Don:

Hey Bear, I say grab some pads/gloves and teach what you know – I’m thinking you have more experience/training than you think you do… Reference materials include just about everything – DVDs, books, articles, youtube videos, instructors/training partners, etc.

I think one of the important things is to try to make it fun and avoid him burning out – as an instructor, not only do I want my students to know how to catch their own fish, but I would love for them to enjoy catching fish, to learn other ways of catching fish, and to teach others to learn and enjoy catching fish…

What a great way to bond with him, especially at that age… thumbsup

He’s a she, but we’re tight.

doublestrike

When it comes to teaching children / teenagers how to fight by yourself, I would stick with the basics. The basics should include standard boxing techniques and defenses against holds + chokes. Nothing fancy.

However, it’s also important for the kid to have fun. If not, then anything else will be looked upon as a chore rather than something cool to learn. I hope that makes sense.

don

lol Sorry Bear, same goes for the girls too! 🙂

catapult

Try to think of what the mean girl bullies might try to do to her at school and teach her to defend against that. E.g. defense against a hair pull would probably be a lot more relevant to her than to you. Then there are those mean boys…. a rear bear hug is a favorite for them when they’re picking on a girl.

Edit: Darren’s KM for women or whatever it’s called might be a good book for her.

maddogmean

It really sucks that this is the world we live in…but kids have to worry about a lot more than bullies these days. Teach your daughter all you know and then some. Situational awareness training doesn’t require partners or classes. As a green belt, you already have a solid foundation. Basic strikes and choke defenses. Pick up the Complete Krav Maga book and have fun learning together. It’s a scary world. I’m sure you want your girl to be as prepared as possible for it.

kevinmack

Imi used to say that when you are a green belt you are an instructormwhether you like it or not. Teach KM and leave the gun stuff for adults.

rallypunx

If you have to teach your daughter, like stated earlier, I would suggest you start with the hair pull and bear hug defenses and focus on proper technique on the punches and kicks. In most bullying situations, a well executed groin kick is all that will be needed to go home safely.

My son is 9 and has been doing Krav Maga for a little over a year. We are lucky that our Krav Maga Training center has a KM-X program (kids). He is now a gold belt and has learned a lot more techniques that I have at a level 2. He can defend all the chokes, bear hugs, hair pulls, head locks, etc…, in addition to all the 360 defenses, inside defenses, ground work, all the kicks, punches, hammer fists, etc… In other words, you can teach her all you know, but emphasize technique. I would also engrain in her that Krav is only used for self defense and not to use as a trick or for bullying. In our training center, once a week the instructor sits the kids down for approximately 10 minutes and they discuss use of force so they won’t abuse their skills with other kids. They are taught it is only self defense and only enough to get away and get help.

bear34

I’m looking into Eyal Yanilov’s MaxKravMaga online training. Any feedback?

magpie

I actually just bought a striking pad (not a KM tombstone pad, but a less expensive Title one) and am going to get some youth MMA gloves so I can teach my 8-yr-old daughter the basic stuff that I already know. She’s already athletically inclined and I feel that it’s one of my basic responsibilities as a parent to teach my child how to protect herself.

I don’t plan on being extremely regimented about this because I want it to be fun for her and not a chore. We’ll see how it goes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: