Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Structure of a typical (and good) Krav Maga class

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Can you please tell me what a typical, quality Krav Maga class is like? For example, what is the basic structure (warm up, drills, etc)? I’ve taken a couple of boxing classes which ended up being more fitness-based than self-defense. In these classes the structure went something like this:

1. Jump rope for 3 minutes.
    2. Bag work
    3. Circuit training while one student worked with the trainer doing punching work.
    4. Shadow boxing
    5. More cardio/fitness work.

Thanks!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Structure of a typical (and good) Krav Maga class

Hey JANG

I think it’s going to depend on where your taking class and what level your at.

In theory it should look something like

warm up/stretch
    review
    new material
    cool down/discussion or burn out drill

But thats just a generalization your results may very LOL

Thanks CJ! I would be in a level 1 class (beginner). How much of a given class is focused on fitness? What kind of drills are typical? And what is a burn out drill?

kmyoshi

quote justanormalguy:

Thanks CJ! I would be in a level 1 class (beginner). How much of a given class is focused on fitness? What kind of drills are typical? And what is a burn out drill?

For Level 1, there is an emphasis on *fitness* but you’re not doing your typical fitness type exercises. Sure there is a warm up to get your heart rate up such as laps around the block or class room, jumping jacks, etc.. but a large portion of the cardio comes from punching/kicking/elbowing pads and learning the proper technique.

Here is a small list of what level 1 self defense techniques entail:
    defense against:
    chokes
    headlocks
    arm drags
    wrist release
    360 and inside defense against an attack coming from a variety of angles
    and kicks from the ground and getting up from the ground

The burnout drills (A.K.A stress drills or simply just “drill”) are derived from the techniques taught in the class. An example of a drill may be that you will be hitting a pad held by one training partner, and another training partner will apply a choke, headlock, etc. and you will need to apply the proper defense against it. It is to get you use to applying the proper defense while under duress, and being really tired/winded.

As you move up in level(s), the review portion will be more prevalent as it is expected of you to know the techniques from the previous levels.

Have fun training!

osaumt

A lesson in Israel is something like this:

1. general warmup
    2.specific warmup
    3. combatives
    4. review of a previous technique plus its conection with the one that its going to be teached
    5. new technique
    6. cool down and stretching

Drills are part of any of the above.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: