nixxon

Re: 360 defense question

quote DKatman:

I thought I would reply even though others will reply after me who will be more eloquent and describe things better.

Yes there is a different defense for a straight jab or cross. Yes there is a defense for the uppercut.

Inside defenses are used for the jab or cross. It is a redirection done with the same side hand as the punch that is coming. The hand is bladed (fingers straight), the arm goes forward towards the opposite shoulder, just enough to make the incoming hand go off past the face. The head moves slightly to the side of the defense and forward. I think the key is that it is a very subtle movement.

The defense for the uppercut is very close to throwing your own uppercut from the same side the uppercut is coming from, causing the same kind of redirection.

Soon others will clean up what I have written.

Dave

Dave put it pretty well. Only thing I say is that I normally have my hands cupped more than straight. It just gives me personally a better feel for control because then I already have a “hook” in place. Also the contact you make with thier incoming hand with your hand is a sliding motion down thier forearm, all you are doing is redirecting thier punch slightly.

A good way to visualize this is to square up with somone and have them put thier arm/fist streched out and on your chin. Then with your hand VERY slightly push it off until it no longer makes contact with your body. You’ll see how little you need to move to actually defend against a straight punch.

Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: