Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos "sucker punch defense"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack
    the-revenge

Re: "sucker punch defense"

Works if you see it coming. Most you don’t see.

kmyoshi

Good technique to add to your toolbox, thanks Kevin!

Yes, like any attack you need to see it to be able to defend it. Most don’t see it coming because they may not be aware of their surroundings. There is also some body language cues you can look out for. They are standing with their hands clinched in a fist, feet are spaced out like a fight stance. If you look at a lot of fight videos, you will see this right before the sucker punch/haymaker is thrown. In the “knock out game” videos, all the people that get knocked out are not paying attention to where the other person(s) are. Just keep your head on a swivel whenever you’re in public and if someone gets in your personal space (where they can hit you) keep your hand(s) up by your chin like you are thinking for example). You don’t have to be in a fight stance, but keep it up so you will have more time to block if needed.

five04zog

As I’m new to Krav Maga (KM), forgive me if this is a commonly used training tool. You all may have seen this already. KM bring a military system, I wouldn’t be surprised if most KM schools teach this. From the late Jeff Cooper:

Code System of Awareness

5 states of readiness.

White – unaware, not paying attention to the world around you. :confused::confused:

Yellow – attentive, but relaxed (the way we should be when in public/on patrol)

Orange – focus is directed, there is an immediate potential threat

Red – there is a definitive threat

Black – you are actively fighting

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Correct me if I’m wrong since I didn’t google this yet, isn’t red in the fight and black a state of delirium?

and off topic (maybe I should start a new thread) have you read “left of bang” great book on situational awareness and being proactive rather than reactive.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Ok it was bugging me so I googled it

White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be “Oh my God! This can’t be happening to me.”

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that “today could be the day I may have to defend myself”. You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that “I may have to shoot today”. You don’t have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don’t know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to “Watch your six.” (In aviation 12 o’clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft’s nose. Six o’clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are “taking in” surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, “I might have to shoot.”

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to “I may have to shoot that person today”, focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: “If that person does “X”, I will need to stop them”. Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. “If ‘X’ happens I will shoot that person” – ‘X’ has happened, the fight is on.

I grabbed this next paragraph off a LEO site.

Some trainers try to improve on Cooper’s color code by adding more stages, like “black” for dealing with the aftermath of a shooting. One trainer uses “black” to describe someone totally immobilized with panic.

I had the chance to witness this recently during an active shooter situation where not only did the crowd reach a state of hysteria/panic but so did most of the security and LE. Reviewing all the tape later was eye opening. Even the reaction of the first responders was something tagged in the what not to do category.

five04zog

Hi,

I have seen this chart in a few variations. Some without black altogether. I have seen it just as you have suggested. I just like the concept of it. I feel the most important color is yellow. Without paranoia, always having an awareness of your surroundings. Learn to read the landscape and the human behavior going on around you. Always keeping yourself in the best possible position. Attempt to avoid the “sucker punch” all together. Keeping clear of situations before they happen.

Little thinks like sitting in the back of the restaurant with your back to the wall. When you pull into the mini-mart (“stop & rob”) parking-lot, what do you see inside & out? Example: Is a car parking backed-in with the engine still running with a guy in the driver’s seat? This could be an indicator. Our self-defense training should go past Combatives (striking grappling, escapes).

As an FTO I attempt to teach my new recruits many little indicators that are always going on around them. Life can be routine, then in a flash, NOT routine. It has been my experience, when an officer gets hurt on the job, it is likely linked to being in condition “white”. We are all human. It is tuff to be a ninja all the time.

Just like having a plan for your family escaping your house in a fire, we need to have plans for the less likely stuff in life. Maybe learning to avoid possible incidents all together by knowing the silent (but not invisible) indicators always going on around use.

A good School of self-defense needs to incorporate this into the curriculum. Maybe by hosting a free crime prevention seminar. Many police dept.’s have crime prevention officers that will come and teach a class if asked.

five04zog

Pre-assault indicators (i.e. your about to get attacked/punched) :combat:

1. If your opponent/suspect starts looking around (i.e. surveying their surroundings), they are likely poised to attack (likely sucker punch or tackle).

2. Clenched fists…

3. Visible tension

4. Mild stretching (due to tension)

5. Grooming (i.e. running fingers through hair, brushing invisible lint of clothes, etc.).

6. Verbal indicators (i.e. I’m going to kick your ass, I’m going to kill you, I’m not going to jail, etc.)

7. Fidgety

8. Taking off shirt or jacket…

9. Increase in pulse/respirations- leading to flush skin/appearance (I have literally seen the jugular vain pulsing).

10. Remember, if you are “Joe-Citizen” reading this, your best defense is “Nike-kwon-do”. He who runs away, lives to fight another day (situation permitting).

mma-shorty

That’s a pretty good side kick he uses in that video. It reminds of me when I took taekwondo as a youngster and they taught us to use our side kicks to blast people in the ribs if we get the chance.

hashgunner

I’ve watched it. It’s definitely amazing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: