Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military LE officers… KM certification

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    williamk8987

Hey, any law enforcement officers here. I was wondering if having a level in KM would help someone get a job in law enforcement?

don

Re: LE officers… KM certification

Depends upon a particular department/agency – what their requirements are, what they are looking for, etc. In my experience here in So Cal, a background in MA or DT – even a relatively extensive one – doesn’t help much…

I’m not sure what you mean by phrasing your question the way you did – do you already have KM training and are wondering if it will help you get hired OR are you thinking about training in KM in order to, among other things, build your resume?

If it’s the latter, even if it doesn’t help your resume, I would encourage you to still train. You might need it or something like it before you get hired and, if/when you do get hired, it will be that much more nice to have…

co611

Don’t think it will help much at all unless you are trying to get hired into an agencies training unit….

williamk8987

I was going to use it as a resume builder. I want to be a federal agent and I know every federal department trains in KM. So I figured if they saw I am already at the very least level 2 then that would be looked highly upon. I also know maybe state and local PDs train in KM.

I already train in KM just not as often as I would like to. But I don’t have a level yet. Is it worth it to drop a running session or weight training session to get a level? to get hired that by a PD.

don

Well, personally, I enjoy DT/MA training MUCH more than running or lifting. I would never, however, ignore PT completely and I would not recommend “cutting back” until you are significantly past (ability and conditioning wise) what recruits are expected to be able to do at the END of the academy (you’ll have to check with individual departments for their requirements). I haven’t heard of an agency/department that expects a certain level of DT/MA expertise/ability prior to hiring/academy…

kirsten

Put it on your resume builder for sure! It shows dedication and commitment to your personal welfare and physical conditioning.

Also, invest in a book to help you use the .gov resume builder. You can get them at Barnes and Noble or Borders Bookstores. You can find them in the section where you would look for resume help. They (various agencies) use a keyword search system to go through the online information and then take the ones that hit on those keywords and actually review them… This will help to get your resume actually looked at by the correct HR person.

Good Luck and keep training!

williamk8987

I thought it would look good on a resume… My dad is in law enforcement and does the oral boards and he says if the guy seems like a wuss he dismisses him… But he loves to see guys with ring or fight experience.

kirsten

Not sure I would go far enough to include your propencity to ring fighting on your resume or in an oral board… but stick to things that make you look good to the majority of interviewers. That would include your general athletics, Krav Maga training, and most importantly, your integrity and abilty to make good decisions (be prepaired to give examples). The VAST majority of interviewers do not know or understand professional fighters and may very well be turned off by your mentioning of this…

jrodf4

Having a KM level will not help you get a LE job – First is the Application which is disected, then is the test (exam) which having training wont help, after that comes interviews just to make sure your not a nut case, finally a background investigation.

Once your done with the above mentioned and your excepted, then you start the madness at the academy.

kirsten

I guess its decided…. we all disagree. Welcome to a career in Law Enforcement! LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: