peterako

Re: My Summer time vow

quote AviatorDave:

There are a lot of misconceptions in that writeup. First of all, big muscles are like bio-armor. Secondly, it takes lots of fast-twitch muscles to lift heavy loads. And fast-twitch muscles give power and speed.

Sure, there are always guys like a friend of mine – he weighs 300+ pounds and can’t do one pull-up, nor bend his elbow more than about 20 degrees past 90 because his biceps and forearms are so freaking huge. He’s fat as hell. But he warms up on the bench with 315. His squat warmup is with 405. He does incline bench and shoulder press with 225, I have no idea what his maxes are in those. He doesn’t compete anymore, but he’s easily the strongest guy in the gym. Nobody would describe him as agile or quick.

I kinda agree with the reverse on some levels – the endurance conditioning for Krav or boxing or MMA will be counterproductive to body building, but the strength increases from something like powerlifting won’t be counterproductive to Krav.

However – think of olympic men gymnasts, or sprinters, or any of the other power/speed type track events (besides long distance runners which tend to be legs and lungs). They typically have very powerful upper body, lower body, and core strength. It’s entirely possible to be extremely strong, fast, AND agile.

I understand what you mean, and I agree, but I had the idea that jdawg was just trying to build up as much mass as possible. Strong atheletes, using your Olympic reference, have a good balance and size to their muscles, ones that suit their body.

Jdawg said:

quote jdawg:

im on a strict bodybuilding diet…eggs, tuna, oatmeal, etc…no fatty foods…3000-3500 calories a day

I get the impression that he’s going straight up for mass. More weight, which will include more fat as well. This goal, trying to “get huge”, is one that would have some negative effects which would interfere with Krav.

That’s where I was coming from. However, I’m not at all sure whether or not this is jdawg’s goal, and my initial impression may be entirely wrong.

Aside from jdawg, would you think this type of bodybuilding to be counterproductive to Krav, Dave?

Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: