Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comfortable Groin Protection

Originally posted by DirtyHippieUte View Post
    I've been using the good old WalMart special (I think it's called "Duke"). I got one square to the balls from a guy in class who got a little excited on a front choke defense and I was surprised by the protection.
    LOL I'm currently using Wally World equipment also (Franklin) both the cup and compression shorts....

...but I'm shopping around for better stuff. So far this stuff has worked (It's actually marketed for baseball).
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
    -John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist)

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have some new, hard won info on the Nutty Buddy.

In class last night, we were practicing one leg takedowns from the front. I was the crash test dummy for my partner, who was practicing the technique. He was taking me down into a soft, 8" thick mat. He executed the takedown, driving his shoulder into my groin as we hit the mat. I heard a loud CRAACK and felt some pressure in my groin that shouldn't have been there. As my partner got up, I could feel loose pieces of Nutty Buddy shifting around.

The good news is that the cup dissipated the impact and I wasn't injured at all. In that respect, the cup did its job. I wasn't enthusiastic about the fact that when these things fail, they fracture into sharp pieces. If this were live training, there is some possibility that tender bits could have ended up in between sharp broken pieces of hard plastic. I'm trying not to think too much about that.

Here is the broken cup:

I have notified the manufacturer for their consideration. I'll probably look in a different direction for my next cup. Something that deforms, rather than shatters is more appealing to me at the moment.

Comment

Yikes! Glad the boys are okay! I've heard reports of similar cracks with the Shock Doc plastic cups. Metal is probably the safest bet. The Shock Doc stainless steel cup is reportedly more comfortable than the Muay Thai metal cups and it fits in a regular jock.

https://www.shockdoctor.com/titan-alloy-flex-cup

Comment

Originally posted by catapult View Post
          Yikes! Glad the boys are okay! I've heard reports of similar cracks with the Shock Doc plastic cups. Metal is probably the safest bet. The Shock Doc stainless steel cup is reportedly more comfortable than the Muay Thai metal cups and it fits in a regular jock.

https://www.shockdoctor.com/titan-alloy-flex-cup
          Thanks. Just ordered one. :)

Comment

I have had two of the Shock Doctor plastic cups crack on me. They start with small cracks which look like they develop from alot of flex in the cup and start to create a crack.

I upgraded to the alloy cup and the only issue is the cup starts to develop what looks like rust under the silicon/rubber area. This cup is very comfortable in the Shock Doctor compression shorts and have taken alot of dynamic front kicks from fellow instructors along with alot of hard Kajukenbo sparring. You made a good investment.

Comment

I been seeing this question online and I wanted to recommend Lo Bloo, for me, the best out there - specially for Muay Thai training, MMA, Krav Maga - if you have kicking involved, use this.
              Lo Bloo Groin Cup System

Comment

thanks , I have seen the video. it' very interesting.

Comment

I am taking my first Krav Maga class this week. Was surprised that even in a beginner's class men are required to wear a cup. Can you really get kicked in a beginning class? How intense do they get?

Anyway, I bought a basic Shock Doctor cup, nothing fancy or specifically designed for martial arts. Is this sufficient?

Thanks.

Comment

Everyones a little uncoordinated in the beginning and no ones intentionally trying to crush you. Having said that better safe than sorry right?
                    I believe that self-defense is a moral imperative, and that illegitimate force and illegal violence must be met with righteous indignation and superior violence.

But hey, thats just me.

Comment

Anyone know the difference between the SD Bio Flex cup and the carbon flex cup? Any preferences?

Comment

This is what I use. It's very comfortable and doesn't restrict movement.

https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-pr...arbon-flex-cup
                        It's one thing to learn from the past, quite another to be tethered to it.

Mad is a state of mind, anger is an emotion.

Comment

I actually bought the Shock Doctor Air Core hard cup. It is advertised to be as strong as the bio flex but weighs less. While no cup is comfortable, I have found it to be more so than others. It came with the compression shorts, but the cup moves around too much and actually hurts a little since it can grind into sensitive spots. I am using the cup with a jockstrap instead, as the jock hold it in place better.

Comment

I got my Top Ten groin guard 30 years ago. It has been serving me well back then while I was kickboxing and boxing. It's actually designed for kickboxing where it stays in place while you throw high kicks. Hard to find a piece of equipment that one can use for 30 years. Not sure if the new makes have the same quality like the old ones.
                            The Totiro website is down. I think Top Ten changed their distributors. Fighters is selling them out of Florida, now.

Originally posted by GerryLA View Post

I just bought this. The Top Ten Groin Guard.

When it comes in and if I start training (wish they would open up a Krav Maga Center in the Eastern/Hollywood/Los Feliz part of Los Angeles) I will let you know what I think.

Expensive, but looks beautiful and the www.totiro-usa.com website talks about it glowingly.

GerryLA
                            Last edited by mitches; 12-14-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X