Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Krav Maga and being safe at home

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    carleecolt

I really love the art of Krav Maga and there is a great sports side to it. I’m a newer student and I joined so that I could protect myself. I think for women, there has to be an equal combination of efforts for self defense. I think the most important is a form of martial arts. The second is some kind of weapon like pepper spray or a handgun, and I think the third is a home security system. I think they are really important because it’s best to be prepared when under attack. If an intruder breaks in and you don’t know about it, then how can you be ready to fight back? Unfortunately, I haven’t found a security system for my house yet. I’m looking for advice on adt home security. Can anyone tell me their experience with that company?
    Thanks!

carleecolt

Re: Krav Maga and being safe at home

One more question, I just moved to Indianapolis last week. Where can I find Krav Maga training here?
    Thanks!

I’d advise you to check state and local laws before you make your home defense plan to ensure you understand the constraints. Particularly the use of deadly force. Additionally, I would advise you to not attempt to fight off intruders in your home unless they are a direct threat to, or are between, you and your family members. Coming from experience, it is much easier to defend a location inside of a structure than it is to move from room to room and attempt to fight your way out, especially if you have the help of local law enforcement. You know what and who is inside the room you’re own, but not what or who is outside of it.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!

You can find KMWW locations here
    https://kravmaga.com/locations/licensees-affiliates/licenseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/

Right on Tactical!thumbsup

resqr1

Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog. False alarms only cost a little bit of barking, not money. And bad guys REALLY don’t like big dogs. They know the dog is right there and the alarm system can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get police to respond, depending on where you live.

tzrider

quote resqr1:

Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog.

As far as that goes, just getting a big dog water bowl and leaving it in a conspicuous place in the back yard can be a deterrent. thumbsup

True. Don’t leave the big dog in the back yard, recently in the south several thieves have been giving dogs ground beef with ground up glass in it. A day later they come back and rob the place.

unstpabl1

The robbery might not bother me but hurting the dog is a capital offense

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

The robbery might not bother me but hurting the dog is a capital offense

MOST DEFINITELY :beer:

sicpuppy

Breaking into my house could well cost a life…

However, an alarm system is not a bad idea.

Couple of things to look for if you want the alarm system to be monitored (and you don’t have to).

1- Make sure the alarm company can handle live video and audio, and have videos cameras.

2- Make sure they will verify an alarm by looking/listening before they report it to the police to avoid any kind of false alarm charges.

3- Make sure their monitoring station is not in your town, or if so, make sure it is very well secured and has backup power generators.

4- Make sure YOU have FULL access to your system as well as the alarm company so you can monitor it over the internet and you can make changes to the system (if you want) without them having to come out, and charge you.

5- Be careful about different companies- some of them suck you in with really cheap installation prices, but nail you on the sales/rental of the individual components.

6- Some have VERY high monthly rates, or have hidden fees like annual fee, a fee to test the system, a fee if you have to call in to the company or if they have to call you, etc.

On the other hand, a MUCH cheaper alternative is for you to monitor it yourself.

Install some cameras.

There are many high quality video systems out there with very good cameras that are VERY reasonable in pricing- but shop around and get to know what you are looking for.

The good thing is these systems can be set up to call/text/email you in the event there is movement on the camera, or even if there is movement only in a certain part of the camera. Most of them allow for you to log in with an iPhone or Android and see and/or hear what is going on live. You can even record audio/video or take snapshots right from your phone.

Then, you can call the police, or call a neighbor, or whatever. You can talk to the police while you are watching the video to alert them what room intruder(s) might be in, give them a description, if they are armed, etc.

Also, make sure your system and all the cameras and peripherals, and the router and cable box, are on a battery backup. This way the whole system works in the event of a blackout or someone deliberately cutting power to break in.

There are even devices that can alert you if a signal feed is lost or power is lost, etc.

Stay safe, and go home!

thecrownsown

I would also recommend looking into the following if your shopping for a home security system:

-Whats involved in the base package, and how much to add additional motion sensors, door/window contacts, smoke/heat sensors, etc. Quite often the basic just covers the door ways, and a motion….you want coverage on every floor.
    -Are they a certified company? At least here, you get a fairly decent break on home insurance if you show your insurer you have a 24hr. monitored system which includes a smoke/heat sensor as well as security.
    -Is it connected to your phone line, or is it satellite monitored. This one is important. Companies like ADT, Reliance, etc. will provide satellite coverage in addition to hooking up your system through a land line. If you go with a security sytem that is simply hardwired to your phone line….well…one snip before entering your house and your monitoring company won’t have a clue as no signal will go out. Go satellite. It costs nominally more, but worth it.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote resqr1:

Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog. False alarms only cost a little bit of barking, not money. And bad guys REALLY don’t like big dogs. They know the dog is right there and the alarm system can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get police to respond, depending on where you live.

Make sure you also put up “warning guard dog” signs on the fences. That also helps with meter readers, tree trimmers or just about anyone from the city who decides they want to be in your backyard.

One look at KAOS and they make an appointment.

resqr1

quote CJs Dad:

Make sure you also put up “warning guard dog” signs on the fences. That also helps with meter readers, tree trimmers or just about anyone from the city who decides they want to be in your backyard.

One look at KAOS and they make an appointment.

However, in some jurisdictions, having a beware of dog sign is an automatic admission that you have a vicious dog which opens you up to a lawsuit.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

True, but the moment someone steps into my yard and gets bit I have a lawsuit on my hands. In my situation its not an “if” and I would be more upset if they tried to put one of them down because they tore up a bad guy.

Anonymous

Shotgun on a string is a great home defence system. Works every time. =P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: