Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge increased terrorism risk Re: increased terrorism risk

thecrownsown

Re: increased terrorism risk

quote TacticalTimmy:

While I agree that OBL was angered when we went into Kuwait, his connection with, and belief of, the Islamic revival movement would have eventually brought him into conflict with the secular United States. I would not say that the US allied with him; only that he, and others like him, stood in the way of Soviet/Communist expansion and so we gave him the tools with which to prosecute his campaign. In this day and age a policy of isolationism will get us nowhere. Sitting inside your fortress hands the initiative to your opponent in a hand basket. Clever and determined extremists will find a way around our security. It will inevitably happen. Regardless of whether or not the two wars were legal, pulling out now and leaving them to fend for themselves will not do any good for any party involved. It will show that we lack the physical and moral endurance to fight, we will lose credibility when we promise things to other countries, it will shame our country in the world’s eyes and it will lend the ultimate level of legitimacy to the Islamic extremist movement, thus creating 2 more nations in the M.E. that are led by Islamic extremists and governed by a very harsh form of government.

This is the mindset that the US will have to try and ween itself off of if they want to stop being the target of attention and opportunity. I’ve no doubt that the US only gets involved in something when it believes it is doing it for the greater good. I’m sure with the invasion of Iraq there were nothing but good intentions. And of course the US takes heat for the failures.. it’s funny how quiet the media, and other nations are at the many successes the US has dabling in international affairs. But…there are better ways to your good work. Constant talk of fight, and showing weakness, and standing your ground, etc…..is this approach practical, or even realistic?

-Getting into international disputes/wars like Iraq, then scratching your head wondering why you have increased terrorist threats and more soldiers getting killed is short sighted. If the US was to slowly change it’s approach and use more diplomatic/economic pressures in lieu of shooting from the hip, it will mitigate the target it seems to always puts on itself. Premptive strikes and tampering in foreign affairs because your concerned of future countries that may attack the US is a long way away from invading existing countries that posed no threat, but now have created groups with you on there radar in revenge. No one deserves to die, and in NO way am I defending or reasoning away attacks against the US or any other state, and I shed no tears for Osama Bin Laden’s death….but terrorists, or foreign states do not spin the globe, let there finger land on the US and say thats the country I”m gonna centre out today.
-No one is talking about isolationism, or the US ignoring other people’s plights…but changing the approach you choose to “help” maybe worth a try. The approach that “we are going to help these people, give them our concept of democracy”, etc…..and sincerely believe you are doing another nation/people a favour…well…sometimes your not. I agree that once your there, like Iraq..it would be worse on the nation now if you up and left than staying the course. But not because you are showing weakness, or “moral endurance to fight” (oxymoron?). I doubt the general public gives a **** about your moral endurance more than they care about feeding there families and eeking out a decent life in Iraq. You have to remain or else it will get even worse for the general population if you didn’t. Thats not an argument for going there in the first place though.
-Stop acting unilaterily. I don’t know what that “your either with us or against us” crap was about, but that won’t win you any international points either. And not only gives fuel and resentment to foreign enemies, it also isolates and irritates your closest allies. Canada is usually the poor little brother you have to take along with you to all your international conflicts. We know it, and we know our military is for the most part a lot of over paid uniformed civil servants living off the sentiments of the publics longing of traditional “good guy bad guy” wars like WW II…..but…we didn’t follow you to Iraq. There was a reason for that.
-Historically…if you want to play the role of foreign occupying power. Even for good or noble reasons…you have to win the hearts of the people. If not, you’ve already lost, you just don’t know it yet. Think about whats happening right now where the US has decided to plant its flag. There are some great examples where it has worked out all right for the US. Peurto Rico, Hawaii are excellent examples. But where it isn’t…all it has done is galvanize groups of people otherwise disgruntled but now have a direction to throw there anger at. Napoleon, Alexander the great, etc. had great success. They gave the occupied countries something. I recommend you read: “Napoleon on Napoleon.” His autobiography. That’s Napoleon Bonaparte…not Dynamite. Look at longer term goals, and the bigger picture of protecting the US, it’s allies, and how about everyone else for that matter too….and stop drawing lines in the sand which is true isolationism.

Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: