Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Steven Segal interview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    seraphs-coal

In this months “Blitz” mag they do an article with Steven Segal, this is in the Australian one that I have so I am not sure if its published in the international Blitz mags sold in other countries or not, I suspect it would be though. Anyway here is one of the questions he was asked and the answer provided, the whole article is good and well worth a look if you can find it!

Blitz – “After Anderson knocked out Victor Belfort, he said the front kick he used to win the fight was taught to him by you. This really reintroduced you to MMA fans. However, there were also a lot of people questioning the validity of that. They wondered how an Aikido Instructor could teach a Muay Thai guy a front”?

Segal – Anyone who says that does not know anything about my life. First of all, I started out in karate many years before I started doing aikido. I’ve been around the world studying from kung fu masters, Muay Thai masters, tai chi masters… I’ve been doing Mixed Martial Arts for 40 years! So whoever says that really doesn’t know anything about me.

seraphs-coal

Re: Steven Segal interview

Here is the link to the actual front kick incident mentioned – http://vimeo.com/22345665

resqr1

Segal is an ass!!!!

lions2011

I highly doubt that Segal knows anything outside Akido!!

Certaintly not Muay thai and nothing about MMA

wds2

I don’t see how it’s so odd he did teach Silva that kick. I’m sure Silva knew it beforehand, but there’s no reason to think he couldn’t teach Silva nuances of it.

Especially since Silva verified that.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote wds2:

I don’t see how it’s so odd he did teach Silva that kick. I’m sure Silva knew it beforehand, but there’s no reason to think he couldn’t teach Silva nuances of it.

Especially since Silva verified that.

I don’t think it’s BS either, its a VERY basic thing. So when they were training he said “make sure and use the front kick” well – duh anyone who’s been around any MA long enough has a lil common knowladge of the basics.

Well Steven Segal has been studying various martial arts for 40+ years now from the very best instructors. I would love to have that kind of training as I am a ” training junkie “.

Stop complaining & hit the gym and start learning. :woohoo:

catapult

Looks like legit training to me…. Silva wouldn’t waste his time with someone he didn’t think could help him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEEd8jVfycg

don

quote lions2011:

What makes you so sure?

kmky

He is a 7th Dan Black Belt in Aikido. He and others have said that he has black belts in ****o-ryu karate, judo, and kendo. He has trained with Dan Inosanto and the Machado brothers also from what I have read.

michaelmall

I was taught the front kick from a Tae Kwon do instructor, doubt he learned it from Segal…I remember in the 80’s that they used a front kick in PKA along with other kicks that are not used now..

roxan

quote lions2011:

Well i dont think so that he knows.

unstpabl1

On set stories about him are usually negative. Judo Gene told us the choke out story at Valley Martial Arts a couple years back. Funny stuff. He had an Aikido school near me years ago and I knew a couple of his guys. they swore be his reality based training and they were tough guys. There is a vid of him testing students for BB on YT and it looks pretty hardcore. Even more so compared to what you see in most Aikido schools.

libra66

So would his missus, he’d only object if it was north of the border. If it was daan sarf then it’d be a traditional thing like setting fire to your gran’s whiskers at christmas or norbetting the book maker oop north.

unstpabl1

quote CJs Dad:

I don’t think it’s BS either, its a VERY basic thing. So when they were training he said “make sure and use the front kick” well – duh anyone who’s been around any MA long enough has a lil common knowladge of the basics.

Sean, thinking that Anderson was Muay Thai and push kicking and Seagal looked at it and said why not front kick. Silva did and all of a sudden you started seeing or notice more front kicks and guys getting caught because they were thinking push kick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: