Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jusjay

hey everyone…
    I am in the Johnston County area of NC> The closest km class is new bern and is about 75 mi away. I am searching for something close to me but right now its now. So I wanted to mention on here what I had been hearing lately. I called around locally to ask about km. One place told me the best thing to do would be to find a ma that is similar to the techniques of km. His advice was hapkido. I talked to someone (km)who told me that JKD would be more similar to km and that hapkido is not….so I am holding off on the hapkido. I really really want km and not a substitute. But I feel that while I am motivated I should do something. I talked to someone today that is black belt in four things. I know he teaches ninjitsu and monabe mosho juijitsu and karate i think. He thinks that ninjitsu would be comparable to the moves in km.This guy is someone that I have known before and as a favor he is willing to work with me and a friend on the km dvd set(which I have been practicing but its hard to do it without someone who knows what they are doing.) along with that he would teach other techniques . So trying to balance my schedule and babysitting, etc . I am trying to find the best option for me. Also there is the element that I do not want a martial art with rituals, and meditations etc. That is one reason I want km so much, another reason is that I have a heart for Israel and the Jewish faith. I am waiting for a couple of people to get back to me that are authorities in km to see if they have any ideas about what i should do …but in the mean time I wanted to see if any of you have any advice?

Thanks
    Jamie

ryan

Jamie, I’m one of the people that you have talked to, and unfortunately, there really isn’t anything, readily available, that is similar to KM. I could come up and do a seminar in the area (maybe monthly or bi-monthly), and you could supplement your training with the videos. I would say that ninjitsu is nothing like KM. JKD’s mindset/training philosophy is probably close, but you may want to look into Thai boxing (depending on the instructor.) Much of this depends on your goals also (I just sent you an e-mail on this.)

Maybe you’ll get some more help here, but I’m still working on it for you as well. If you are interested in the seminar, let me know!

emil

Hey Jamie, I think the seminar idea might work for you , especially if you can get a group of folks together and do it on a regular basis. May be quarterly or semiannually. The instructor can always leave some drills for you to work on your own. And if you can get to train with Ryan, even better, he’s an awesome instructor.You can always then practice what you learn with DVDs books etc.

ryan

I appreciate the kind words Emil–the feeling is mutual. Are any of you guys going to make it to the Bas seminar this weekend?

angryangel

Hi Jusjay. Everything above sounds like good advice. I would also suggest that in terms of looking for a \”substitute\” (a bad term I know) you might want to consider how people train rather than what they train.

Would you spend a large chunk of time on katas or forms? Practicing unrealistic defences against attacks? Do they teach unrealistic attacks such as hard to hit pressure points or high kicks to the head. Are you hitting pads, bags and mitts rather than air? is there contact? Sparring? do people come out of the class sweaty, with a bruise or two not being uncommon? Do they promote determination, aggression rather than flowery chi techniques? Is there some form of groundwork? What is the general fitness level of class members?

I cannot help but think a boxing/ thai boxing or mma class supplemented with training km material from books, videos and seminars might be the best way to go until you can find a better solution.

Of couse it does also depend on your goals. The above is based on the assumption you want to learn self-defence quickly and effectively and cultural, social, traditional considerations are not relevant.

jusjay

Thanks for all your advice. We are going to try to get a seminar together and hopefully I can get some schools involved to hopefully spark enough interest that someone will want to start teaching it at their school.
    The trial hapkido class i took the other day definitely emphasizes fitness but i am going to wait and try to do the km seminars from time to time. The Bas Rutten workout cds also possibly.
    jamie

john

hey jusjay,

I am working on bringing KM to Raleigh. Bear with me, I’ll post more info soon.

John

jusjay

John

Are you talking about bringing it to a school that will start teaching itt????
    That is good news if thats what you mean!
    Ryan is working on getting a seminar together for me in the Raleigh area also and I am going to try to hit all the schools in Johnston County. I know there are some in Smithfield(closer to me) and Clayton ….maybe the instructors will come to the seminar and they will want more!
    Thanks for letting me know and please do keep me posted
    Jamie

Posted by jusjay:

\”His advice was hapkido. I talked to someone (km)who told me that JKD would be more similar to km and that hapkido is not….so I am holding off on the hapkido. I really really want km and not a substitute. But I feel that while I am motivated I should do something. I talked to someone today that is black belt in four things. I know he teaches ninjitsu and monabe mosho juijitsu and karate i think. He thinks that ninjitsu would be comparable to the moves in km.\”

Hapkido is not a good style in my book, I would not suggest taking that. The only karate style I’ve ever seen that I thought was good was kyokushin, simply because of their emphasis on kicks below the waist (more practical in a real fight) along with full contact. Although no punching to the face is a drawback, they are allowed to kick to the face (and the full contact will do well to harden your body).

Ninjitsu is often joked about- its kinda like any other Japanese Ju Jitsu system in which moves are taught and assumed to work (but are never attempted on resisting opponents). I know someone who teaches Ninjitsu, so I know from experience.

I would suggest you look for a good Judo school in your area, that always gives you a good base. Im sure there has to be a boxing gym somewhere as well (if you’re lucky, maybe even a muay thai gym). Sambo isnt as popular as Judo, so you’re less likely to find that. NC does have a few good BJJ places, which would be excellent for groundfighting as well. Can you give me a city? Im not sure where the Johnston County area of NC is.

jusjay

The main towns in my county are Smithfield and Clayton with the most population. The largest city close to me would be Raleigh…still about 50 minutes away. Goldsboro is about 1/2 that distance but not as big as Raleigh . (Ral. in Wake County and Golds. in Wayne County. )..opposite directions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: