Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > Student Lounge

Notices

Student Lounge OFF TOPIC FORUMS - A place to talk about anything but Krav Maga

Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
carleecolt

Default Krav Maga and being safe at home

I really love the art of Krav Maga and there is a great sports side to it. I'm a newer student and I joined so that I could protect myself. I think for women, there has to be an equal combination of efforts for self defense. I think the most important is a form of martial arts. The second is some kind of weapon like pepper spray or a handgun, and I think the third is a home security system. I think they are really important because it's best to be prepared when under attack. If an intruder breaks in and you don't know about it, then how can you be ready to fight back? Unfortunately, I haven't found a security system for my house yet. I'm looking for advice on adt home security. Can anyone tell me their experience with that company?
Thanks!
carleecolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
carleecolt

Default Re: Krav Maga and being safe at home

One more question, I just moved to Indianapolis last week. Where can I find Krav Maga training here?
Thanks!
carleecolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
TacticalTimmy

I'd advise you to check state and local laws before you make your home defense plan to ensure you understand the constraints. Particularly the use of deadly force. Additionally, I would advise you to not attempt to fight off intruders in your home unless they are a direct threat to, or are between, you and your family members. Coming from experience, it is much easier to defend a location inside of a structure than it is to move from room to room and attempt to fight your way out, especially if you have the help of local law enforcement. You know what and who is inside the room you're own, but not what or who is outside of it.
TacticalTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
mara_jade
Welcoming Committee

Welcome to the forum!

You can find KMWW locations here
http://www.kravmaga.com/locations/li...ocations-list/

Right on Tactical!
- San Antonio Center's Mock Airplane Motto
Disneyland, but more violent - SashaTheStrange explaining KM to a friend
Know who you are and what you're capable of. Walk away if you can. Run away if you must. Defend yourself if you have no other choice.- Instructor Steve Tornovish
mara_jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
resqr1
Force Training Division

Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog. False alarms only cost a little bit of barking, not money. And bad guys REALLY don't like big dogs. They know the dog is right there and the alarm system can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get police to respond, depending on where you live.

Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
resqr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
tzrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqr1 View Post
Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog.
As far as that goes, just getting a big dog water bowl and leaving it in a conspicuous place in the back yard can be a deterrent.
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
TacticalTimmy

True. Don't leave the big dog in the back yard, recently in the south several thieves have been giving dogs ground beef with ground up glass in it. A day later they come back and rob the place.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
unstpabl1

The robbery might not bother me but hurting the dog is a capital offense
unstpabl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
mara_jade
Welcoming Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstpabl1 View Post
The robbery might not bother me but hurting the dog is a capital offense
MOST DEFINITELY
- San Antonio Center's Mock Airplane Motto
Disneyland, but more violent - SashaTheStrange explaining KM to a friend
Know who you are and what you're capable of. Walk away if you can. Run away if you must. Defend yourself if you have no other choice.- Instructor Steve Tornovish
mara_jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
SicPuppy
Force Training Division

Breaking into my house could well cost a life...

However, an alarm system is not a bad idea.

Couple of things to look for if you want the alarm system to be monitored (and you don't have to).

1- Make sure the alarm company can handle live video and audio, and have videos cameras.

2- Make sure they will verify an alarm by looking/listening before they report it to the police to avoid any kind of false alarm charges.

3- Make sure their monitoring station is not in your town, or if so, make sure it is very well secured and has backup power generators.

4- Make sure YOU have FULL access to your system as well as the alarm company so you can monitor it over the internet and you can make changes to the system (if you want) without them having to come out, and charge you.

5- Be careful about different companies- some of them suck you in with really cheap installation prices, but nail you on the sales/rental of the individual components.

6- Some have VERY high monthly rates, or have hidden fees like annual fee, a fee to test the system, a fee if you have to call in to the company or if they have to call you, etc.

On the other hand, a MUCH cheaper alternative is for you to monitor it yourself.

Install some cameras.

There are many high quality video systems out there with very good cameras that are VERY reasonable in pricing- but shop around and get to know what you are looking for.

The good thing is these systems can be set up to call/text/email you in the event there is movement on the camera, or even if there is movement only in a certain part of the camera. Most of them allow for you to log in with an iPhone or Android and see and/or hear what is going on live. You can even record audio/video or take snapshots right from your phone.

Then, you can call the police, or call a neighbor, or whatever. You can talk to the police while you are watching the video to alert them what room intruder(s) might be in, give them a description, if they are armed, etc.

Also, make sure your system and all the cameras and peripherals, and the router and cable box, are on a battery backup. This way the whole system works in the event of a blackout or someone deliberately cutting power to break in.

There are even devices that can alert you if a signal feed is lost or power is lost, etc.

Stay safe, and go home!
SicPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
TheCrownsOwn

I would also recommend looking into the following if your shopping for a home security system:

-Whats involved in the base package, and how much to add additional motion sensors, door/window contacts, smoke/heat sensors, etc. Quite often the basic just covers the door ways, and a motion....you want coverage on every floor.
-Are they a certified company? At least here, you get a fairly decent break on home insurance if you show your insurer you have a 24hr. monitored system which includes a smoke/heat sensor as well as security.
-Is it connected to your phone line, or is it satellite monitored. This one is important. Companies like ADT, Reliance, etc. will provide satellite coverage in addition to hooking up your system through a land line. If you go with a security sytem that is simply hardwired to your phone line....well...one snip before entering your house and your monitoring company won't have a clue as no signal will go out. Go satellite. It costs nominally more, but worth it.
TheCrownsOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
CJs Dad
Administrator

Quote:
Forget ADT. Get a big, intimidating dog. False alarms only cost a little bit of barking, not money. And bad guys REALLY don't like big dogs. They know the dog is right there and the alarm system can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to get police to respond, depending on where you live.
Make sure you also put up "warning guard dog" signs on the fences. That also helps with meter readers, tree trimmers or just about anyone from the city who decides they want to be in your backyard.

One look at KAOS and they make an appointment.

But hey, thats just me.
CJs Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
resqr1
Force Training Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs Dad View Post
Make sure you also put up "warning guard dog" signs on the fences. That also helps with meter readers, tree trimmers or just about anyone from the city who decides they want to be in your backyard.

However, in some jurisdictions, having a beware of dog sign is an automatic admission that you have a vicious dog which opens you up to a lawsuit.

Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
resqr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
CJs Dad
Administrator

True, but the moment someone steps into my yard and gets bit I have a lawsuit on my hands. In my situation its not an "if" and I would be more upset if they tried to put one of them down because they tore up a bad guy.

But hey, thats just me.
CJs Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
SicPuppy
Force Training Division

Quote:
However, in some jurisdictions, having a beware of dog sign is an automatic admission that you have a vicious dog which opens you up to a lawsuit.
While in other jurisdictions, you may be required to have sign or you are negligent.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
SicPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
TacticalTimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewDewd View Post
I don't a militant group is quite necessary (unless we're going after all the other inferior martial arts =P), although the terrorists are a problem. Does anyone feel they need to train harder because of the Al Qaeda treats after Bin Laden's death?
As a veteran and federal employee, yes.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
KMyoshi

I think for home security purposes using a shotgun over a handgun is a better choice. Not only are shotguns easier to hit targets with it's spread in the heat of the moment but with birdshot you don't have to worry about over-penetrating and accidentally hitting someone in the next room/next door over.
KMyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
Inky

I would never leave my dog unattended in the yard while I'm not at home. Too many wacko's out there as well as devious thieves. But also my Pit/Bulldog is my companion not my protector or security system, it's just a bonus that she's an extra deterrent. (Prolly just lick the guy breakin in anyway ;-).
a 12 or 20 gauge shotty with a light load is great protection in my book I.e.' wide spread, no over penetration, no fumbling ease of use. Plus my dog drops and covers when she hears me rack it. Also CCI makes shot shell cartridges for .38 spcl / .357 mag that works very good at close range without over penetration and has a nice spread.
Anyone deciding to go Shotgun for home defense would be wise to pick up Massad Ayoob's book Stressfire 2: tactical shotguns. Or any Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, John Farnem book. Watchin Dirty Harry just don't cut it.
just my .02 cents.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
Inky

I love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs Dad View Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
KMyoshi

This?

I'm actually looking to purchase my first shotgun and handgun in the next few months. Was thinking of a Mossberg 500 pump action. What say you?

I'll look into picking up the shotgun book too... as well as the other KM books/DVD from David Khan. Amazon is going to be getting a lot of my business this holiday season
Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #21
TacticalTimmy

I'm a fan of the Remington 870 series shotguns, or the Benelli M4. Check out Magpul's "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" 3-disc series. Magpul produces some quality training material.
http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN005/76
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
Inky

+1 for "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" 3-disc series and i love my Cruiser 500 got it for $150 with short/long barrels long/pistol grips and 2 socks. also +1 for the Remington 870. no exp with Beneli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimmy View Post
I'm a fan of the Remington 870 series shotguns, or the Benelli M4. Check out Magpul's "The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun" 3-disc series. Magpul produces some quality training material.
http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN005/76
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
TacticalTimmy

Carried the M4/M1014 for about 6 months while TAD to a security force in 2003 and we had some in our platoon in a 2006 deployment to Fallujah. Very nice, semi-auto, gas powered shotgun. Love it, just wish I could afford it.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #24
NavyOne

If you are going the personal weapon path, make sure you get training or go to the range on a semi-regular basis. . .
NavyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #25
TacticalTimmy

Concur. Just like Krav, you can't learn it once and expect to remain proficient at it without any kind of practice, and once every six months won't cut it.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #26
Inky

Finally have my roomies on board to keeping a few blunt objects near certain point in the house and I'm taken my liberal left wing landlord out to the range for his first shooting experience. going to start with safety, disassemble, how to draw, stances and positions, then go for targets. Stress fire will prolly start another day.

Oh to bad this was due to a women getting murdered down the street last Friday. less than 1/4th a mile from home.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
KMyoshi

Sad to hear, was this within the premises of her home or out on the street?

I need to visit the gun range more often.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
TacticalTimmy

Going tomorrow. Mounted my EOTech to my 870 and can't wait to zero the pattern!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #29
Inky

i believe she was living under Hwy 205 and was killed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyoshi View Post
Sad to hear, was this within the premises of her home or out on the street?

I need to visit the gun range more often.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Inky

Hmm. i didnt know this is actualy linked to this murder as well.
http://www.kptv.com/story/16223118/r...long-bike-path
Not to mention a huge wave of robberies and person to person crimes in my part of town right now.
I walk my dog in this area every night. Looks like it's time for my CWP.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
MDeaneUSCG
Force Training Division

I personally like a shotgun for sleeping home defense as well. I use the Remington for work, but being a lefty, I think I prefer the operation of the safety on the M500 over the 870. I'd say your bedside (shotgun based) defense system should include the following at a bare minimum: Cell phone, tactical flashlight, and your shotgun. The cell phone will let you call the cops with or without power, the shotgun is your first (racking it) and last (firing it) line of defense once someone has entered your home, and the flashlight let's you both identify your target should they come through your door, and blind them while you make your appropriate use of force decision.

I mentioned that is for if you are caught in your bed sleeping though, because I also personally believe that you should be armed and presently minded at all times in your home. Home invasions seem like they are on the rise, and they don't just happen while you sleep. What would you do if someone kicked in your door while you are watching TV in your living room? What if you haven't armed that alarm system yet, because you do it before you go to bed? Mid day invasions have been known to happen, and not just in the bad parts of town. They also aren't always just about robbery, as some are committed just for the thrill.
MDeaneUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
TacticalTimmy

I agree with being armed, aware and in the proper mindset at home. My wife is a knee-jerk reactor and lets things go after a certain amount of time passes. A guy walks around in my backyard looking in windows, and she's fine with me wearing a gun around the house. After a few weeks she looks at me like I'm paranoid again. One of the cats (hers is HUGE) sets off the alarm and she's fine with me having the pistol on the night stand because as soon as the alarm went off I was up and at the top of the stairs; a few weeks later she thinks I'm paranoid.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
NavyOne

I think a shotgun for home defense is the way to go. And a pistol for carry. And a nice wheel gun for fun shooting. Plus I like Sigs, the 45. And a. . .
NavyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
danielsaun

I always was told by SD experts that shotgun was the way to go, but then someone told me no because it's to hard to clear a room with such a long barrel compared to pistol. I think its equally important to use personal defense ammo since a lot of us lived in common wall areas. A gentleman, moniker Ferfal whom lived through the collapse and chaos of Argentina in 01 said he found from real experience that owning a semi auto with high cap mag was most important because you could put suppresive fire power down rage and run away if need be. With my .357 it's a great man stopper but after 7 shots, mine is 7, it takes awhile to reload esp. under stress. If anyone is interested Ferfal blog is here. I am not trying to pimp anything he just seems like a nice guy that lived through hell http://ferfal.blogspot.com/
danielsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
TacticalTimmy

Depending on your circumstances, you may be best served by staying put and covering the entry to the room you're in. In my case all the bedrooms are at the top of the stairs, so I can post at the top of the stairs and wait for law enforcement to arrive. Additionally, we have a set of keys upstairs with us, so we can toss those to a responding officer and they can enter our house without destroying a door. If I have to remain in place, I'd go with my Ruger SR556 first, my 870 second (I have the bird barrel, not a short barrel yet) and my pistol last. My SR556 has more rounds, an EOTech, a flashlight, and I've spent more time with an AR-pattern rifle in my hands than anything else.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
danielsaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimmy View Post
Depending on your circumstances, you may be best served by staying put and covering the entry to the room you're in. In my case all the bedrooms are at the top of the stairs, so I can post at the top of the stairs and wait for law enforcement to arrive. Additionally, we have a set of keys upstairs with us, so we can toss those to a responding officer and they can enter our house without destroying a door. If I have to remain in place, I'd go with my Ruger SR556 first, my 870 second (I have the bird barrel, not a short barrel yet) and my pistol last. My SR556 has more rounds, an EOTech, a flashlight, and I've spent more time with an AR-pattern rifle in my hands than anything else.
Yes or just running away if possible. I bought the .357 over the Glock 19 or Beretta 92FS because my wife could not fire an auto without limp wristing and then didn't have the strength to clear the jam. Then 3 years later she admits she can't kill someone. She doesn't have it in her. I told her then if I am not home then jump out the window break your ankle scream fire and limp away as quick as possible. Damn, if I would know that I would buy the Glock 19 or XD. If I have to work downtown again in seedier parts I may get a CCW and carry a Kahr K9.

BTW Tim thank you for your service to this country.

Last edited by danielsaun; 07-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #37
danielsaun

I was just reading some of your posts and thinking about it my wife can't rank a shotgun. She has a shoulder injury. Sure could get an auto but racking it 50% of the deterrent. Have some of you considered that, whether your spouse can operate the weapon the same as you esp. if you are on deployment or have to travel for work?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #38
TacticalTimmy

I appreciate it. I'm not in anymore, but I still work for the military. My spouse can operate most of the firearms I have, she had her CCW for quite some time. She let it lapse because she doesn't want to try and juggle carrying a firearm with managing 3 kids under 5 while she's out. Two other pistols you could be looking at are the FNX-9 by FNH-USA (FNH makes most of our military's machineguns, and a large number of our M16's) and the M&P-9 by Smith and Wesson. I had an FNP-40 (earlier version of FNX) and I loved it, but I couldn't justify holding on to it because I don't like the 40 cal and it was my only firearm in that caliber. I'm working towards the purchase of an FNX45.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #39
TacticalTimmy

Something your wife could operate would be a pistol-caliber carbine. I know that Hi-Point makes one, but if I were to purchase one for home-defense I'd go with Beretta's CX4. I believe the 9 and 40 models can use PX4 magazines, which would be very economical if you bought a PX4 (which I forgot to add to the previous list) for carry.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #40
danielsaun

Thanks Tim for the tips.