Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > General KM Related Topics

Notices

General KM Related Topics Post general comments or questions about Krav Maga here

Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
brewmasher

Default Iron palm training

Has anyone trained in Iron Palm to supplement KM? If so any recommendations on training at home?
brewmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
lennyKRAVitz

Default Re: Iron palm training

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
Has anyone trained in Iron Palm to supplement KM? If so any recommendations on training at home?
I'd leave iron palm to iron man and other fantasy characters!
lennyKRAVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
brewmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyKRAVitz View Post
I'd leave iron palm to iron man and other fantasy characters!
Every unarmed combat discipline has some sort of hand conditioning training to toughen the hands for striking. I am new to KM, so I have not been exposed to any hand conditioning yet.

Being older and not as fast and strong as I used to be, any potential attacker will likely be younger/stronger/faster. Having rock hard striking weapons can level the playing field. Iron Palm kung fu specializes in this area. Many professional combatants who fight for a living train in this art. It is not a fantasy. I know KM stresses that it should be doable by anyone, not the physically gifted, but this seems to a worthy addition to supplement KM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSYuOr_zfYw
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
catapult

When you take away the mysticism of iron hand, it's just about toughening up your hands, wrists, arms, etc. Punching and kicking a heavy bag with no gloves or shin guards should do that nicely. Do it in moderation until you get toughened up and refine your technique so you won't hurt yourself.
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
lennyKRAVitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post
When you take away the mysticism of iron hand, it's just about toughening up your hands, wrists, arms, etc. Punching and kicking a heavy bag with no gloves or shin guards should do that nicely. Do it in moderation until you get toughened up and refine your technique so you won't hurt yourself.
Agree 100%! Let's call it hand conditioning from now on rather that iron palm. I'd also include makiwara training (and the like) if you are wanting that also.
lennyKRAVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
brewmasher

Sure, I have done the standard knuckle push ups, makiwara training and the like. I have also seen deformed knobby looking hands clustered with callouses. Iron- whoops- traditional Chinese and Tibetan hand conditioning martial arts promises fists of steel without loss of feeling and mobility. Heck, I don't want to give up the feel of soft womanly curves just to create weapons out of my hands.

Central to these arts are striking progressively harder surfaces, using special lineaments before and after training, and chi kung exercises. Before dismissing such as mysticism, perhaps there is some merit to the lineament keeping the skin soft, yet tough, and the ligaments and sinews pliable. Maybe the chi movements create greater blood flow to the extremities. I really would like to talk to someone who can give me a realistic assessment.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
catapult

Krav is about defending yourself, not putting your fist through a brick wall. Most real fights don't last very long. You learn a lot of strikes in Krav classes. If you can do them several times, full power on a heavy bag, without hurting yourself, your hands are tough enough to win a fight. The rest is up to your technique and your warrior spirit. So, you end up with bruised knuckles after the fight? Big deal, the other dude is on the ground!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
wen1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasher View Post
Iron palm works, and it is possible for a person to develop power that can kill in one strike. If you find a good program and teacher, you can be successful. It does take a few years of dedicated training daily to realize its full potential.
wen1859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
bear34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen1859 View Post
Iron palm works, and it is possible for a person to develop power that can kill in one strike. If you find a good program and teacher, you can be successful. It does take a few years of dedicated training daily to realize its full potential.

No disrespect intended, but that is the most ridiculous bull**** I have heard since Michelle Bachmann debated Rick Santorum. Thanks for the laughs.
bear34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
wen1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear34 View Post
No disrespect intended, but that is the most ridiculous bull**** I have heard since Michelle Bachmann debated Rick Santorum. Thanks for the laughs.
If I were you I wouldn't believe it either. Fortunately I am not you and I have experienced it directly. I have been around martial arts for close to 40 years, and have only met 5 people with that ability. I felt their power. It goes through you like nothing else. So don't believe me, it doesn't matter to me. It's not a necessary skill to have any way.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
Metta World Krav Maga

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen1859 View Post
If I were you I wouldn't believe it either. Fortunately I am not you and I have experienced it directly. I have been around martial arts for close to 40 years, and have only met 5 people with that ability. I felt their power. It goes through you like nothing else. So don't believe me, it doesn't matter to me. It's not a necessary skill to have any way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LphoXa5gII
Metta World Krav Maga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
wen1859

Thanks, that's funny! I will use it on someone else later. :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
Metta World Krav Maga

Smile Re: Iron palm training

Metta World Krav Maga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
wiccaman

Notwithstanding the fact that I'm very much a KM aficionado I pretty much hero worship WE Fairbairn so I take his 'advice' that if you ever punch you should be on a charge (as there's a very big risk you'll damage your hand and not be able to use your rifle).

I will occasionally punch to soft targets (side of neck, liver, kidneys etc) if that's the best option at the time but generally I'll stick to palm strikes, hammer fists etc. It's safer and I can hit a LOT harder that way than I can punch.

The only advantage I can see with a punch is the extra few inches of range and if I'm at that distance I can probably kick him anyway.

Now, just wished I'd known all that before I spent 10 years punching buckets of hot sand 4 hours a day before breakfast.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #15
Seraphs Coal

Its no doubt quite different to what is being discussed here, but the Wing Chun one inch punch tactic seems quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItMU...BWfFtrOlB8nRQQ
Seraphs Coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
KMyoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphs Coal View Post
Its no doubt quite different to what is being discussed here, but the Wing Chun one inch punch tactic seems quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItMU...BWfFtrOlB8nRQQ

That looks more like a push/shove if anything.
KMyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
catapult

Yeah, it's more like a one foot punch with a shove follow through.

Even when a shaolin master does it, it's more like a 4 inch punch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wxe3u-K8H8

That said, that's one tough little dude and he generates a ton of power on the crash test dummy. But there's nothing superhuman about it. The only strike they compared to other martial artists is his straight right to the head and he generated about the same power as an elite boxer according to the tester.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
KMyoshi

Interesting, so me hitting a heavy bag with my bare knuckles and using palm heel strikes will harden (condition) it? (serious question).
KMyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
JewishFitness1976

Would anyone like arthritis in their old age ?

Si vis pacem para bellum

If you want peace, prepare yourself
for the war

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
JewishFitness1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
ari-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyoshi View Post
Interesting, so me hitting a heavy bag with my bare knuckles and using palm heel strikes will harden (condition) it? (serious question).

Palm heel strikes will harden it, if you don't overdo it (unfortunately, most people don't know when to stop) and give your body a chance to rest and rebuild. It's just like muay thai fighters training their shins on a pad. Fist hardening, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated since it is not a single smooth striking surface.

It's not magic. It only appears to be an "ancient Chinese secret" probably because kung fu instructors didn't want their students to overdo it and possibly injure themselves.

Dit da jow is basically Menthol and Methyl Salicylate and helps with pain/inflammation. You can get the same thing from Bengay or Icy Hot so you don't have to get ripped off by some voodoo herbal practitioner.
ari-free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Contact Combat

I Have, But then i also train in Kung Fu
Contact Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #22
Contact Combat

there is way more than one way to train to train in iron palm, for instance there is the direct method, the hundred day method, the partially indirect method, the internal method, i can break rocks, cement blocks, and various other items and the training i have done will not give me arthritis, we trained the tendons, muscles, and the bones so a masters hands look totally normal and yet we can crush items that a untrained person would break his/her hand on. iron palm is very powerful and a good suppliment to any martial arts, but be advised to train with extreme caution, the best way i have found to train is the 100 day method, this will allow you to break a normal house building brick, but you train twice a day, you will need dit da jow, or another type of healing oil, to put on your hands so that you will not damage yourself, and then there is a multiple usage striking techniques that you do on a bag normally filled with beans or sand, and then later you will progess to iron fillings, or ball bearings, or even small rocks, but countinued training on a sand bag will give you the same results as iron fillings and so forth, but the time spent training will be longer, but never train without a oil or liniment of some sort and you MUST use the liniment before and after training.
Contact Combat is offline   Reply With Quote