Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > General KM Related Topics

Notices

General KM Related Topics Post general comments or questions about Krav Maga here

Old 09-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Nighteyes

Default Hebrew text for a tattoo

Not sure if this belongs in here or the student lounge, but can anyone confirm that the Hebrew text below does actually say "Krav Maga" in Hebrew?

I'm seriously considering getting something similar to that if/when I pass my P1 grading. Oh and, Hi by the way. :D
Nighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
KMCat

Default Re: Hebrew text for a tattoo

FYI

From the link below:

Quote:
... The prohibition of tattooing is found in the Torah: "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28). ...

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/prac.../Tattoos.shtml

The article goes on to say:

Quote:
... In our day, the prohibition against all forms of tattooing regardless of their intent, should be maintained. In addition to the fact that Judaism has a long history of distaste for tattoos, ...
KMCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
saruotoko
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMCat View Post
FYI

From the link below:

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/prac.../Tattoos.shtml

The article goes on to say:
True enough....but not everyone that studies Krav is of the Jewish faith and we should be respectful of others. Beyond that, I do know several Jewish people that have tattoo's......

I hope someone who can translate Hebrew will answer his question.

Peace,

Mario
saruotoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Nighteyes

I did a lot of research last night into the Hebrew Alphabet and am pretty certain that is what it says. Hebrew is an abjad: Almost no vowels in its alphabet. Krav Maga is one of the exceptions though. The 'first' letter you see is actually the 'a' of Maga. Hebrew is, apparently, read backwards.

So, reading from right to left, the first letter is a K, then an R, then a V for Krav; the next word is formed with the M, then the G, and finally one of the few letters that can be used to symbolise a vowel as the final A. Like below:

- A -- G -- M ---- V --- R -- K
Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
Don
Force
Instructor
Force Training Division

I think if I were to get a KM tat, it would probably be something along the lines of the circle KM logo...
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
Nighteyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I think if I were to get a KM tat, it would probably be something along the lines of the circle K...

Dude, strange things are afoot at the circle K... ;)

Actually, that's not a bad idea, just having the K and the M. Also, I was thinking if I was to have all six letters, I could have just one letter done to mark every grade I pass. All six would take me to Graduate/Instructor level...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #7
Don
Force
Instructor
Force Training Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post

Dude, strange things are afoot at the circle K... ;)

Actually, that's not a bad idea, just having the K and the M. Also, I was thinking if I was to have all six letters, I could have just one letter done to mark every grade I pass. All six would take me to Graduate/Instructor level...
hahahaha
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
smokelaw1

As a Krav studying Jew with tattoos (that sounds like intentional rhyming, but it was not), I intend to get the logo when (IF) I get my black belt. I was thinking I'd get it at brown, but I think that with the ultimate goal being black...I should wait for it. Then again, I just want more ink.

PS- I am not POSITIVE, but that spelling looks good. If you still need the help, shoot me a PM, and I'll double check with an Israeli I know that would be very sure.
"Hey, that disarm would work a little better if you liquify his face or smash his groin first"....where else can you hear this, and instead of being shocked...you think "Hey, that's a solid point you've got!"
smokelaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Nighteyes

I may just go for the letters K and M. I'm bored at work and just sketched this on a notebook:

Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
KMMAN

I was going to get the chinese characters for Jeet Kune Do....good thing I did not because I later found Krav Maga......although I think the philosophies of both a very similar.
KMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Nighteyes

Here's what I've done so far. :)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #12
KMMAN

That's actually pretty cool
Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
iMike

The spelling is correct in Hebrew, but why would you want a tattoo that no one can read? :D
iMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
KMCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike View Post
The spelling is correct in Hebrew, but why would you want a tattoo that no one can read? :D
I've seen way too many tattoos I can't read, and don't in fact want to....
KMCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #15
KMMAN

I cool Krav Maga tattoo would be a tattoo of a bruise.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Brand0nZer0

Quote:
I did a lot of research last night into the Hebrew Alphabet and am pretty certain that is what it says. Hebrew is an abjad: Almost no vowels in its alphabet. Krav Maga is one of the exceptions though. The 'first' letter you see is actually the 'a' of Maga. Hebrew is, apparently, read backwards.

So, reading from right to left, the first letter is a K, then an R, then a V for Krav; the next word is formed with the M, then the G, and finally one of the few letters that can be used to symbolise a vowel as the final A. Like below:

- A -- G -- M ---- V --- R -- K
Do they read from right to left? If one were to get this text tattooed on them would it appear in this order to the reader?
Brand0nZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
liquidpremium

Yes, that is the correct spelling and yes it is read from right to left. The last letter is not a vowel. It's the letter "ayin", which is somewhat silent. I say somewhat, because Hebrew speakers from Arab countries tend to pronounce the letter strongly, but others will just slur over it.
liquidpremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #18
KravMDjeff
Instructor
Force Training Division

FYI on the Leviticus passage...ancient pagan cultures would cut themselves, brand themselves, and tattoo themselves as a sort of blood sacrifice to any variety of deities. So if you're concerned about the religious implications of a hebrew tattoo (which, I understand many people won't be), rest assured that the passage is intended to prevent the worship of idols, not to say that there's anything wrong with tattoos per se.

Praise be to the LORD my rock, who trains my fingers for battle, my hands for war.
Psalm 144:1
KravMDjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
udjat

I am going to get a Tat for Krav as well.. A single black band for each level Passed on my upper forearm or calf. Now that I passed level 3 - its time to get it done.
udjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
markx3

Do we want to start posting pics of the tats on the forum?
markx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #21
Future SWAT

Quote:
Not sure if this belongs in here or the student lounge, but can anyone confirm that the Hebrew text below does actually say "Krav Maga" in Hebrew?

I'm seriously considering getting something similar to that if/when I pass my P1 grading. Oh and, Hi by the way. :D

Hehe.Just make sure that is what it says before you brand yourself.I have a BADBOY tattoo.I have badboy written in chinese written around it or so i thought....It actually says badson lol.While i could get it fixed since son and boy are the same but boy has a extra symbol after it making it easily fixable.I have opted to keep it.Kinda of a reminder of how ****ty i was to my parents when i was young and wild.
Future SWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
liquidpremium

I can confirm it. I speak fluent Hebrew and served in the IDF. You are right to be concerned before doing anything permanent. Get a second opinion at an Israeli store near you, the Israeli consulate or a synagogue.
liquidpremium is offline   Reply With Quote