Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > Welcome Forums

Notices

Welcome Forums Welcome to the official Krav Maga Worldwide Forums ń come introduce yourself!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Shipwreck

Default Haven't started but HIGHLY interested!

Hey everyone,

I have decided that I want to take the plunge and dive into the world of Krav Maga. I live in Tucson, AZ and am looking to train at the Ultima Self Defense center here.

I would just like to know more about what to expect and how awesome this stuff really is.

Thanks in advance

-Shipwreck
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
TacticalTimmy

Default Re: Haven't started but HIGHLY interested!

Take the plunge and enjoy the ride! Its pretty awesome, I would expect to get worn out.
TacticalTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Shipwreck

Thanks. I expect to be worn out. I want to get back into shape like I was in the Navy.

They are offering it to me at $94 a month for unlimited classes at any of their 3 locations so I definitely want to take advantage of it as much as possible. Plus the 'real world' application, to me, seems a hellofa lot more practical than the normal martial arts.

Now out of curiosity, is there a 'belt system' like in the other MA's or how does it work?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
stuartf

There is a rank system. Most organizations call them by level numbers/belt colors, though some use patches. At my school we get a t-shirt with the level advancement that has the level printed on the sleeve in the color corresponding to the belt but no literal belt is given.
stuartf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
TacticalTimmy

Just remember that Krav is only a skill set; you have to have the mindset to SURVIVE. Sometimes that means not "winning" the fight by running away, or avoiding the fight altogether.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
stuartf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimmy View Post
Just remember that Krav is only a skill set; you have to have the mindset to SURVIVE. Sometimes that means not "winning" the fight by running away, or avoiding the fight altogether.
Running away or avoiding the fight altogether is "winning" as long as you "go home safe."
stuartf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
TacticalTimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartf View Post
Running away or avoiding the fight altogether is "winning" as long as you "go home safe."
That's why I made the distinction between winning and surviving lol
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Shipwreck

Does anyone have any recommendations for books or anything to help get me started? I hope to be starting soon (within the next week or so) but I also figure that any extra information (as long as it's good) can't hurt.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
TacticalTimmy

KMWW has some krav maga books published already, they're a good start.

Beginners book: http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Step...8051037&sr=8-2

Complete book: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-...8051037&sr=8-1

Advanced book: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Belt-Kra...8051037&sr=8-5

David Kahn: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Krav-...8051037&sr=8-7

The book by David is also good, I own all of the previous except the advanced/black belt book. If I were you I'd go with the book by David Kahn and the beginner's book first. Both will help you enter the Krav Maga world with a proper mindset.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Shipwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalTimmy View Post
KMWW has some krav maga books published already, they're a good start.

Beginners book: http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Step...8051037&sr=8-2

Complete book: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Krav-...8051037&sr=8-1

Advanced book: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Belt-Kra...8051037&sr=8-5

David Kahn: http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Krav-...8051037&sr=8-7

The book by David is also good, I own all of the previous except the advanced/black belt book. If I were you I'd go with the book by David Kahn and the beginner's book first. Both will help you enter the Krav Maga world with a proper mindset.
Hey man thanks a lot! I'll definitely check those out. I'm getting super excited about it cause my wife is also going to be doing the classes with me too.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
mara_jade
Welcoming Committee

Welcome to the forum!

Yup, the books are great but be aware some things have changed since they were written. I've read all the KMWW books. These didn't exist until after I already started KM.

It's also important to get tweaking from an instructor and not rely soley on the books. They're great references but don't replace being in class.

Congrats on getting wifey to join. One month of trying out classes and knowing I could hit hubby, I was IN
- San Antonio Center's Mock Airplane Motto
Disneyland, but more violent - SashaTheStrange explaining KM to a friend
Know who you are and what you're capable of. Walk away if you can. Run away if you must. Defend yourself if you have no other choice.- Instructor Steve Tornovish
mara_jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
lions2011

to Shipwreck.
Well... Krav Maga is a street survival system that teaches you how to deal with many common situations. Such as all kinds of chokes, grabs, headlocks, hair grabs and much more. Shows you proper escapes for these moves. Both standing and ground. Also Krav has a huge arsenal of combatives from Palm strikes to boxing punches, groin kicks and hammer fists to head butts. Higher levels deal with defense against Knives, Guns and long guns. I am just starting to learn weapon stuff and never thought I would like it.
I still recommend you take some basic boxing or Muay thai classes to further enhance your striking or even BJJ to learn more about ground fighting. I think Krav works good alone but much better when combined with some MMA stuff. Krav does have some ground stuff but mostly escapes and strikes and hardly any submissions. If you are young, have time and extremely devoted then combine Krav with muay thai or something.
Also you can use Youtube or google as a powerful learning center to learn other moves not really teached in any system like simple finger breaks, throat chops and web strikes. Pretty fun
lions2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
lions2011

I have been doing KRav for 1.5 years now and started Muay Thai last summer. I find this to work well together. I have not done any bJJ yet.
Key is having the time and not getting injured lol
lions2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Reuven

Default Where to Practice Krav Maga?

I am going to Israel for the summer and I would like to know the best places to look for Krav Maga training for a bout two months and the cost range if known. Thanks to any that help.
Reuven is offline   Reply With Quote