Go Back   Krav Maga Worldwide™ Israeli Self Defense Forums > Krav Maga Worldwide Forums > Student Lounge

Notices

Student Lounge OFF TOPIC FORUMS - A place to talk about anything but Krav Maga

Old 12-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Seraphs Coal

Default Steven Segal interview

In this months "Blitz" mag they do an article with Steven Segal, this is in the Australian one that I have so I am not sure if its published in the international Blitz mags sold in other countries or not, I suspect it would be though. Anyway here is one of the questions he was asked and the answer provided, the whole article is good and well worth a look if you can find it!

Blitz - "After Anderson knocked out Victor Belfort, he said the front kick he used to win the fight was taught to him by you. This really reintroduced you to MMA fans. However, there were also a lot of people questioning the validity of that. They wondered how an Aikido Instructor could teach a Muay Thai guy a front"?

Segal - Anyone who says that does not know anything about my life. First of all, I started out in karate many years before I started doing aikido. I've been around the world studying from kung fu masters, Muay Thai masters, tai chi masters... I've been doing Mixed Martial Arts for 40 years! So whoever says that really doesn't know anything about me.
Seraphs Coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Seraphs Coal

Default Re: Steven Segal interview

Here is the link to the actual front kick incident mentioned - http://vimeo.com/22345665
Seraphs Coal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
resqr1
Force Training Division

Segal is an ass!!!!

Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
resqr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
lions2011

I highly doubt that Segal knows anything outside Akido!!

Certaintly not Muay thai and nothing about MMA
lions2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
wds2

I don't see how it's so odd he did teach Silva that kick. I'm sure Silva knew it beforehand, but there's no reason to think he couldn't teach Silva nuances of it.

Especially since Silva verified that.
wds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
CJs Dad
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds2 View Post
I don't see how it's so odd he did teach Silva that kick. I'm sure Silva knew it beforehand, but there's no reason to think he couldn't teach Silva nuances of it.

Especially since Silva verified that.
I don't think it's BS either, its a VERY basic thing. So when they were training he said "make sure and use the front kick" well - duh anyone who's been around any MA long enough has a lil common knowladge of the basics.

But hey, thats just me.
CJs Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
JewishFitness1976

Well Steven Segal has been studying various martial arts for 40+ years now from the very best instructors. I would love to have that kind of training as I am a " training junkie ".

Stop complaining & hit the gym and start learning.

Si vis pacem para bellum

If you want peace, prepare yourself
for the war

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
JewishFitness1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
catapult

Looks like legit training to me.... Silva wouldn't waste his time with someone he didn't think could help him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEEd8jVfycg
catapult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Don
Force
Instructor
Force Training Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions2011 View Post

What makes you so sure?
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
KMKY

He is a 7th Dan Black Belt in Aikido. He and others have said that he has black belts in ****o-ryu karate, judo, and kendo. He has trained with Dan Inosanto and the Machado brothers also from what I have read.
KMKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
michaelmall

I was taught the front kick from a Tae Kwon do instructor, doubt he learned it from Segal...I remember in the 80's that they used a front kick in PKA along with other kicks that are not used now..
michaelmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Roxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions2011 View Post

Well i dont think so that he knows.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
unstpabl1

On set stories about him are usually negative. Judo Gene told us the choke out story at Valley Martial Arts a couple years back. Funny stuff. He had an Aikido school near me years ago and I knew a couple of his guys. they swore be his reality based training and they were tough guys. There is a vid of him testing students for BB on YT and it looks pretty hardcore. Even more so compared to what you see in most Aikido schools.
unstpabl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
libra66

So would his missus, he'd only object if it was north of the border. If it was daan sarf then it'd be a traditional thing like setting fire to your gran's whiskers at christmas or norbetting the book maker oop north.
libra66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
unstpabl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs Dad View Post
I don't think it's BS either, its a VERY basic thing. So when they were training he said "make sure and use the front kick" well - duh anyone who's been around any MA long enough has a lil common knowladge of the basics.

Sean, thinking that Anderson was Muay Thai and push kicking and Seagal looked at it and said why not front kick. Silva did and all of a sudden you started seeing or notice more front kicks and guys getting caught because they were thinking push kick.
unstpabl1 is offline   Reply With Quote