Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Kickass Quotes About Training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    thunder

Hi, I’m kinda new on here so I thought I’d start a thread 😀

I was just wondering if anyone on here want to share any inspirational or funny quotes about fighting, martial arts or overcoming challanges in general. I saw a thread like this in a MMA forum and it had alot of positive feedback, which is strange but awesome for a MMA forum. I’m also a poet so I enjoy collecting quotes. When I’m having a bad day and I don’t feel like training, I find it helpful to read through my collection. Doesn’t always work but it’s helpful. These are some of my favorites from there and from other places. Enjoy…

\”Do today what others won’t, so tomorrow you can do what they can’t.\”

\”Only those that risk going too far will ever know how far they can go.\”
    -TS Eliot

\”There is no greater glory for a man in all his life than what he wins with his own feet and hands.\” -Homer (the poet, not the cartoon)

\”The highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he gets for it but what he becomes by it.\” -John Ruskin

\”The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at the times of challange and controversy.\”-MLK

\”Pain is temporary, quitting is forever.\” -Lance Armstrong

\”The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses- behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.\”
    -Ali (there’s a whole lot by Ali..this is one of my favs)

\”What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.\” -Nietzsche

\”Live to the point of tears.\” -Camus

\”Do one thing everyday that scares you.\” -Eleanor Roosevelt

\”It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\” -Darwin

\”Any act can be a prayer, if done as well as we are able.\” -George RR Martin

\”I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.\” -Harper Lee

And for you JKD guys (I’m thinking of you Jerome, if you are reading 😉 )
    \”You and your opponent are one. There is a coexisting relationship between you.You coexist with your opponent and become his complement, absorbing his attack and using his force to overcome him.\” -Bruce Lee

There are more but these will get it started…

Also because this is my first thread, I just wanna say thanks to CJ and everyone at Krav Houston for kicking my ass back into shape. 😈

leftie79

Thunder–I like your quotes…good topic 😀

I like the Lance Armstrong because all of us KM students (and people going through phase training) know exactly about pain and wanting to quit. The other one I really like \”do one thing everyday that scares you\” is kind of weird because there was a song on the radio (I don’t know what it was called but if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it) where this guy just says these quotes and life lessons with music in the back ground including the do one thing..It was an old song and I was curious when I heard it what the name of the song was. just thought i would bring that up since it was mentioned as an inspirational quote.

kmsf

I think you are thinking about the graduation lecture set to song about sunscreen. Always wear sunscreen.

rosie

Here’s one that one of the instructors here shared with me, an ancient Chinese proverb, if I remember correctly.

Deny your art for one day, and it will deny you for two.

Translation: don’t skip class.

jops

I like this story:

The Gift of Insults

There once lived a great warrior. Though quite old, he still was able to defeat any challenger. His reputation extended far and wide throughout the land and many students gathered to study under him.

One day an infamous young warrior arrived at the village. He was determined to be the first man to defeat the great master. Along with his strength, he had an uncanny ability to spot and exploit any weakness in an opponent. He would wait for his opponent to make the first move, thus revealing a weakness, and then would strike with merciless force and lightning speed. No one had ever lasted with him in a match beyond the first move.

Much against the advice of his concerned students, the old master gladly accepted the young warrior’s challenge. As the two squared off for battle, the young warrior began to hurl insults at the old master. He threw dirt and spit in his face. For hours he verbally assaulted him with every curse and insult known to mankind. But the old warrior merely stood there motionless and calm. Finally, the young warrior exhausted himself. Knowing he was defeated, he left feeling shamed.

Somewhat disappointed that he did not fight the insolent youth, the students gathered around the old master and questioned him. \”How could you endure such an indignity? How did you drive him away?\”

\”If someone comes to give you a gift and you do not receive it,\” the master replied, \”to whom does the gift belong?\”

jops

This one is good too…

The Fence

There was a little boy with a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, to hammer a nail in the back fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Then it gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn’t lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, \”You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won’t matter how many times you say I’m sorry, the wound is still there. A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.

Friends are a very rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us.

Addendum — Proverbs 12:18 (NIV) \”Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.\”

kravron

\”Comon boys! You wanna live forever?!?\” – Sgt York WW I

thunder

KravRon,
    Cool quote…it was in Conan the Barbarian also when they jumped from the snake tower…always wondered who first said it…

Here’s a couple more…

\”Everyone has a gameplan until they get hit!\” -Mike Tyson

\”A good BJJ guy and a bad kickboxer end a fight the same way…on their back.\”

Great quotes and stories…keep ’em coming and GO TRAIN!

leftie79

Yes, that’s the one. Thankyou KMSF.

jops

I pity the fool.
    – Mr. T

taikei

Mr. T

When I was growing up, my family was so poor we couldn’t afford to pay attention.

As a kid, I got three meals a day. Oatmeal, miss-a-meal and no meal.

Mr. T

kmtakinkm

Two I like.

\”Who dares Wins\”

SAS motto (British elite Special Air Service)

\”Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered
    those who are skilled in winning do not become afraid.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.\”

unknown (at least by me)

kmsf

Now that last one sounds similar to Sun Tzu (The Art of War) Or maybe it’s just another Mr. T quote 8)

la-revancha

For competition:

\”Out train them all.\”
    Dan Gable

Life situations:

\”It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.\”
    Emiliano Zapata

xkirian

\”The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win\”.
    Coach Bear Bryant

\”When faced with just one opponet and you opposes yourself…you’re outnumbered.\”
    Dan Millman

\”The difference between the hero and the coward is what they do with their fear\”.
    Cus D’Amato

\”When you’re visualizing what your opponet can do to you, your not visualing what you can do to your opponet\”.
    Tony Blauer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: