Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Krav Maga defense against the RNC?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

Is there a KM defense against a fully sunk in standing rear naked choke? I know the bar arm defense and carotid. Reason I ask is that I just got blasted in an MMA forum about how Krav Maga is worthless and the techniques will get you killed.

don

Re: Krav Maga defense against the RNC?

That’s funny considering how often guys get RNC’ed in MMA training and competition – MMA doesn’t have a foolproof defense either.

kms1974

It’s funny how they say that when many of the techniques used in MMA are used in Krav Maga. We fight in the street and on the battlefield, they fight in the ring. So who are they to criticize

maddogmean

I just got another response of “you can try on of the defenses learned in BJJ if you knew it. ” I’m curious how effective such a defense would be if a woman was being attacked by a man or a smaller defender against a bigger attacker. Trying to peel off someone’s hand isn’t going to work.

don

lol For BJJ, ditto what I said about MMA. Size/strength is always a factor (and can be a tough one to overcome). All else being equal, it will help smaller defenders if they move faster, are nastier/meaner/dirtier, use tools to try to even up the odds, apply their efforts using more of their body (weight/strength/etc) against smaller portions of a larger opponent’s body, keep training, and never give up. As you know, a “sunk in” RNC can be Very/Extremely Difficult to get out of, especially if the other person knows what he/she is doing – you may have less than 3-4 seconds to do anything and if you have to think about what to try, you probably missed your window (if there was one).

maddogmean

Thanks for the help. That’s kinda what I figured.

kevinmack

why train for point Z when you should be training for points A-Y.

resqr1

The absolute defense for an RNC is to draw your gun, place it anywhere against your assailant’s body and pull the trigger. I guarantee they will let go.

The same goes for a knife across their arm…

maddogmean

quote KevinMack:

why train for point Z when you should be training for points A-Y.

I hear what you’re saying. But as a Krav student, I understand that there are no absolutes in real life. If it hits the fan, and I end up in point Z…having a defense in the toolbox would be beneficial. I actually was in a level 2 class and we were running through all level 1 chokes. Half the class were attackers and the other half defenders (eyes closed). Another upper level student put a RNC on me to see what I would do. It was perfect because I didn’t expect it. I kinda panicked because I haven’t learned a defense. The carotid choke defense wouldn’t work. I ended up alternating groin strikes and elbows to the mid section. I know if he really put it on, I would have gone to sleep.

don

A “rear naked choke” and a “carotid choke” are basically the same thing. How you apply them, i.e. hands and arms positioning, can vary. If you find that an RNC is being applied with the secondary hand/arm “locking in” the choking hand/arm (i.e. you weren’t able to tuck your chin and plucking on the choking hand/wrist is not creating any space) you’re going to have to somehow undo/attack the hand/arm that’s reinforcing or locking in the hold and then the primary hand/arm. As you said before, it’s usually not going to be easy and some hands/arms configurations are easier to counter than others.

maddogmean

Thanks for the help. What started as an all out attack on Krav actually turned into a cordial discussion about Krav and traditional disciplines. Don’t think I changed any opinions, but it was an honest exchange.

t-krav

The infamous BJJ teacher Kurt Osiander might say something like this to defending against a fully sunk in RNC “Bro, you ****ed up a long time ago and now you’re gonna have to work real hard to get out of this – and you might not”

don

quote MadDogMean:

Thanks for the help. What started as an all out attack on Krav actually turned into a cordial discussion about Krav and traditional disciplines. Don’t think I changed any opinions, but it was an honest exchange.

Good to hear. 🙂

don

quote t-krav:

the Infamous Bjj Teacher Kurt Osiander Might Say Something Like This To Defending Against A Fully Sunk In Rnc “bro, You ****ed Up A Long Time Ago And Now You’re Gonna Have To Work Real Hard To Get Out Of This – And You Might Not”

Lol!

tech94

I have simply reached back and stuck a finger in an eye and pulled at the ear. Only done in training so no malicious intent to actually gouge the eye or rip ear off but did make my training partner let go. Don’t know how effective it would be on the street, but that was my instinct

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: