Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos The round kick in Krav Maga: old way vs new way. Pros and Cons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Hey guys. here is a short video on the round kick in Krav Maga. I talk about the difference between the older way of throwing it and the newer way some instructors are teaching. This video is just my opinion on the subject and is an expression of just some things I have been thinking about.
    FYI….most of my videos are not planned out. I dont script them or choreograph them. Hell in most of them I am cold and not stretched out or just finished teaching 4 hours of classes. I just teach off the cuff and try to explain some concepts you might not have been exposed to so thats why my videos may not be super dynamic or exciting like some others.When our DVDs come out they will have a a lot more dymamix physical examples of what we are teaching. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCSXtCnZY8

kmyoshi

Re: The round kick in Krav Maga: old way vs new way. Pros and Cons.

When you’re hitting with the ball of the foot, do you ever catch yourself jamming your toes? I’ve kicked a few times using the “old” technique and find it uncomfortable when training with shoes off… I’ll give it a shot with shoes on. You’re not suppose to flatten your feet is that correct (hitting with the top of the feet)?

bear34

This has always confused the hell out of me and I might still be interpreting the information wrong, but, I believe that the IKMF teaches both techniques. One is called diagonal, the other horizontal. It unfortunately is poorly demonstrated in the P level DVDs.

michaelmall

I never like the Muay Thai kick because you have to drop your kicking leg hand to produce the power in the kick..After seeing a guy in the Ultimate Fighter throw the Muay Thai kick and get clocked,ended up with a broken jaw..
    I have no malice for Muay Thai it has it’s place….

Wondering what today’s biomechanics research is going to show when it comes to the leg’s bones, the muscular ligaments and foot placement right down to the toes will show ?

notsophil

quote KevinMack:

Hey guys. here is a short video on the round kick in Krav Maga. I talk about the difference between the older way of throwing it and the newer way some instructors are teaching. This video is just my opinion on the subject and is an expression of just some things I have been thinking about.
    FYI….most of my videos are not planned out. I dont script them or choreograph them. Hell in most of them I am cold and not stretched out or just finished teaching 4 hours of classes. I just teach off the cuff and try to explain some concepts you might not have been exposed to so thats why my videos may not be super dynamic or exciting like some others.When our DVDs come out they will have a a lot more dymamix physical examples of what we are teaching. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCSXtCnZY8

I honestly think round house kicks are useless.Unless you have an head kick I just don’t think the risk is worth the reward.Kicking someone in the leg or in the ribs might hurt them a bit but if the attacker is truly aggressive he might grab your leg and take you down. Even if the round house kick hits its not gonna do anything more then sting your attacker. It’s risky even if you have a high kick.

I say just go for the ground and call it a day.

don

quote KMyoshi:

When you’re hitting with the ball of the foot, do you ever catch yourself jamming your toes? I’ve kicked a few times using the “old” technique and find it uncomfortable when training with shoes off… I’ll give it a shot with shoes on. You’re not suppose to flatten your feet is that correct (hitting with the top of the feet)?

We sometimes teach different ways of executing the same kick depending on what you’re wearing for footwear (among other factors). E.g. front snap kick (e.g. sneaky groin kick) – in class with softer shoes on or bare feet, practice using the lower part of the shin; if wearing duty boots or other heavy structured footwear, you can toe kick (at various lower targets) and let the boot do the work.

don

quote michaelmall:

I never like the Muay Thai kick because you have to drop your kicking leg hand to produce the power in the kick..After seeing a guy in the Ultimate Fighter throw the Muay Thai kick and get clocked,ended up with a broken jaw..
    I have no malice for Muay Thai it has it’s place….

It may be natural to drop the kicking hand to counter balance and/or develop power for the kick but with practice, you will be able to keep the kicking hand up and still deliver effective round kicks. If you’re attacking or advancing, there’s always going to be a little vulnerability or opening somewhere. If you fight, there’s always going to be Some chance that you will get hurt or lose.

don

quote notsophil:

I honestly think round house kicks are useless.

Suum Cuique.

Unless you have an head kick I just don’t think the risk is worth the reward.

All up to you. YMWV.

Kicking someone in the leg or in the ribs might hurt them a bit but if the attacker is truly aggressive he might grab your leg and take you down.

Sure that’s possible but so is ending the fight by damaging the opponent’s leg or ribs.

Even if the round house kick hits its not gonna do anything more then sting your attacker.

LOL. Maybe you have “legs like trees” or maybe you’ve never sparred/fought against anyone who could legitimately kick.

It’s risky even if you have a high kick.

As I alluded to above – there is “risk” in EVERY physical altercation – there is “risk” in EVERYTHING you do/attempt in a fight.

I say just go for the ground and call it a day.

Which is great until you get stomped or rat packed or worse by the buddies of the guy you took to the ground – among a plethora of other reasons why “going for the ground” as a general rule (“calling it a day”) can be a very Bad Idea.

catapult

quote Don:

It may be natural to drop the kicking hand to counter balance and/or develop power for the kick but with practice, you will be able to keep the kicking hand up and still deliver effective round kicks.

I like the way John Whitman describes it. You keep the elbow bent and the hand generally up near the face but the hand position isn’t rigid and you do an elbow pump for balance and power.

http://www.kravmagaalliance.com/level-6-blog/hand-position-during-front-kick/

notsophil

I meant go for “the groin.” not ground lol

notsophil

quote Don:

Which is great until you get stomped or rat packed or worse by the buddies of the guy you took to the ground – among a plethora of other reasons why “going for the ground” as a general rule (“calling it a day”) can be a very Bad Idea.

If an attacker is coming at you with the intent to take your life, do you think you’re better off going for a round house kick (high risk/low reward) or a groin shot (low risk/high reward). Sure round house kicks look cool and can be effective if you’re sparring with someone or if you’re in a mma match.You get to square up and trade blows.

But if you’re in a true fight, someone coming at you on the street with the 100 percent intent on killing you, there is no time to square up..Im not saying it can never be effective in a real fight because it can.But the groin shot is safer, quicker, easier, and more painful (id take a shot to the leg/ribs over the groin any day)

kmky

quote notsophil:

If an attacker is coming at you with the intent to take your life, do you think you’re better off going for a round house kick (high risk/low reward) or a groin shot (low risk/high reward). Sure round house kicks look cool and can be effective if you’re sparring with someone or if you’re in a mma match.You get to square up and trade blows.

But if you’re in a true fight, someone coming at you on the street with the 100 percent intent on killing you, there is no time to square up..Im not saying it can never be effective in a real fight because it can.But the groin shot is safer, quicker, easier, and more painful (id take a shot to the leg/ribs over the groin any day)

if the groin kick is there, sure i’d go for the groin, but the angle isn’t always right. a good solid kick right above the knee or in the nerve can take the leg away, or a kick to the liver/kidney can stop a fight also.

sch-thurston

Interesting thread. As I’m now on the “mature” side of 40 the idea of a round kick above my own waist height is now firmly in the realm of fantasy. 25 years ago when I did some karate it was in the toolkit, but no more. They are also a lot slower to happen these days. I’d like to think that wearing jeans is the limiter, but no. Anyway, as some of Kevin Mack’s other videos demonstrate well, the option of going low then high then low then high is very, very useful. I can round kick very well to a knee or a calf, and a split second later even my old carcase can be throwing a punch combination, perhaps to be followed up by an advancing side kick at chest height if the opponent backs away… My point is that even though they aren’t my fave kick to do, they can be quick and effective, so they will remain in my repertoire even as my body gets stiffer and stiffer. And if that means only low roundhouse kicks, so be it. There’s a guy I spar with occasionally, mid-sixties at a guess, and he sticks me on my butt regularly with a well-timed sweeping round kick to my front calf if I even think about moving backwards. He can’t kick above my thigh and he’s got 6″ height on me. He’s been an inspiration.

Re. the ball of the foot variant, it’s without doubt my fave bailout kick. Groin’s a great target but a knee will do. It feels so natural as a way to make space and get offline. So I make sure and practice both variants whenever the opportunity arises.

kmyoshi

quote notsophil:

Groin is definitely a better target than say a round house to any part of the body. I spar with higher level guys and get my round house kicks to their body (torso) caught and they end up sweeping me. So lesson learned is: don’t do round house kicks if you can help it. A front kick with ball of foot (offensive) or with the heel (defensive) is a great tool for creating distance and probably the only kick I would do besides the groin kick. However, you can only groin kick if the target is available (like anything really…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: