Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military small joint manipulation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

Hello everyone
    I’m not in law enforcement or military (although I’m thinking about it after college) but I’d like the opinion of some people that have more experience than myself. In most old style martial arts (and many new ones as well) its very common to break holds by grabbing and/or breaking the fingers, or targeting the wrist with joint locks. Does anyone have real experience using these types of techniques (I know the two are entirely different, but still)?
    I have actually used wrist locks in real life (and to good effect), but never against a really agressive person.

godzilla

Joint locks…

I have experience with joint locks and find them very effective!

Try to go to one of Dr. Yang’s Chin Na seminars. Do a web search. Just sign up for Level One Chin Na and see what you think. It’s well worth the money and time to spend the day learning these great techniques. If you think you can incorporate them into your fighting practically than continue to study.

The joint locks we used in my Krav classes seem basic compared to Chin Na… but my experience allows me to make my partners drop the gun or knife very quickly. Also, I can hold someone still in a wrist or arm lock while kicking them in the face. Hehehe… all fun stuff!

I can’t see how learning joint manipulation can hurt… it can only help!

Godzilla

clfmak

I actually have a few years of continuous practice with chin na. What I was really wondering was whether or not the small joint manipulations targeting the fingers and thumb will really work on someone who is under an adrenaline rush. Are you in law enforement?

godzilla

Nope, not in law enforcement. But I do feel in high adrenaline situations an opponent can be brought to his knees immediately with a good Chin Na technique. Itís probably more a matter of being able execute the move. If all else failsÖ. Practice your combatives!

theironman

Applicability

Small joint manipulations work on semi-compliant individuals, but you get only one shot at it. Definitely less is more in that situation.

Against a more agressive subject, you need to use larger appendages and gross motor-type of movements. Fine motor movements such as finger locks and wrist locks don’t work against someone who wants to fight you. That’s where distractions and such come into play.

kirsten

I am a DT instructor but I have never used any of the joint manipulations on the road. I teach my guys only what I am required to with regards to those techniques. The state requires a few hours of refreshers with those every 3 years. The rest of our training is the stuff that matters… KM Law Enforcement skills! I have never heard of a joint lock saving someone’s life but there are countless stories of KM saving cops lives!

I felt that my time at the academy would have been better used on other things. Like transitioning between weapons, kicks, punches, retention, ground work, et cetera. I use those more than the other.

If they are not compliant, I don’t use joint manipulation to make them, I use my tools. If I have to go \”hands on\” I use a greater force than arm bars… Just my opinion however.

Best of luck!

alan-brad

Re: small joint manipulation

Does small joint manipulation involve the penis and testicles as well?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: