Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kmyoshi

I am under the impression that if you hit a heavy bag or do focus mitt drills or even spar with heavier gloves, you are conditioning yourself to have better endurance when you use 16 oz or lighter gloves. Does anyone use heavier gloves? Can anyone verify this theory? I am looking to condition myself for more endurance and speed.

I asked a guy at an OTM store and he said mostly heavyweights use bigger gloves and that I wouldn’t benefit much from it.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: 18oz or 20oz gloves

quote KMyoshi:

I am under the impression that if you hit a heavy bag or do focus mitt drills or even spar with heavier gloves, you are conditioning yourself to have better endurance when you use 16 oz or lighter gloves. Does anyone use heavier gloves? Can anyone verify this theory? I am looking to condition myself for more endurance and speed.

I asked a guy at an OTM store and he said mostly heavyweights use bigger gloves and that I wouldn’t benefit much from it.

I see shadowboxing with dumbbell’s in your future.

But seriously, light ankle weights on your wrists will do the trick.

quote KMyoshi:

Assuming this theory’s true (which why wouldn’t it be), I think at your size 18’s are the max you should go, but the difference between the 18 and the 16 in sparring and pad/mitt work probably won’t be huge. Also, if you do go with the 18’s, make sure that the benefits of increased endurance from heavier gloves outweigh any wonky habits/muscle memory you could potentially build from your muscles trying to compensate for heavier equipment. Remember, the 16’s (in addition to being pillowy for the sake of our sparring partners) are already designed to be somewhat heavy on our hands while still allowing for proper form and relative ease of movement.

In other news (off-topic), will be back tmrw, but seeing the orthopedist this afternoon which will determine if I’m in street clothes or can train.

t-krav

Here’s my understanding.

Not only do the 18 and 20 oz gloves provide greater protection for your sparring Partners face, but they are bigger and therefore increase the surface area of your guard – meaning that you get false sense of security of your defensive guard. Unless you are a super heavy weight that can’t control your power 16oz might be the way to go.

As far as conditioning – I did a ton of research on this a few years ago. The consensus of boxers and MT guys were that shadow boxing with weights would help condition the shoulders/lats but hitting the heavy bad with heavier gloves might actually make you slower.

I use 160z gloves for sparring (Ring2Cage IMF Gloves) and 10oz Bag Gloves for hitting pads and bags (Rival D30).

The other issue with using your sparring gloves to do heavy pad or bag work is it will make the padding harder as you hit the hard pads/bag – thus decreasing the protection for your training partner. If you do a lot of pad/bag work please invest in a dedicated pair of bag gloves.

On a side note – I can’t stand to spar with people that use Everlast gloves from the sporting goods store – they offer almost no protection for sparring. I’ve seen some MT and MMA gyms ban them.

kmyoshi

quote CJs Dad:

I see shadowboxing with dumbbell’s in your future.

But seriously, light ankle weights on your wrists will do the trick.

Good idea, it looks like this may be the best and most logical approach, thanks!

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Assuming this theory’s true (which why wouldn’t it be), I think at your size 18’s are the max you should go, but the difference between the 18 and the 16 in sparring and pad/mitt work probably won’t be huge. Also, if you do go with the 18’s, make sure that the benefits of increased endurance from heavier gloves outweigh any wonky habits/muscle memory you could potentially build from your muscles trying to compensate for heavier equipment. Remember, the 16’s (in addition to being pillowy for the sake of our sparring partners) are already designed to be somewhat heavy on our hands while still allowing for proper form and relative ease of movement.

In other news (off-topic), will be back tmrw, but seeing the orthopedist this afternoon which will determine if I’m in street clothes or can train.

Thanks for the tips!

How are you feeling? Missed you last week!

quote t-krav:

Here’s my understanding.

Not only do the 18 and 20 oz gloves provide greater protection for your sparring Partners face, but they are bigger and therefore increase the surface area of your guard – meaning that you get false sense of security of your defensive guard. Unless you are a super heavy weight that can’t control your power 16oz might be the way to go.

As far as conditioning – I did a ton of research on this a few years ago. The consensus of boxers and MT guys were that shadow boxing with weights would help condition the shoulders/lats but hitting the heavy bad with heavier gloves might actually make you slower.

I use 160z gloves for sparring (Ring2Cage IMF Gloves) and 10oz Bag Gloves for hitting pads and bags (Rival D30).

The other issue with using your sparring gloves to do heavy pad or bag work is it will make the padding harder as you hit the hard pads/bag – thus decreasing the protection for your training partner. If you do a lot of pad/bag work please invest in a dedicated pair of bag gloves.

On a side note – I can’t stand to spar with people that use Everlast gloves from the sporting goods store – they offer almost no protection for sparring. I’ve seen some MT and MMA gyms ban them.

I don’t work on the heavy bag as often as I should but I’ll look into getting some bag gloves as soon as I get a stand for the heavy bag I have at home. Do you by any chance feel comfortable hitting a heavy bag with a 10oz glove? How is the wrist protection? Does your knuckles get red at all? I know there is differences between a bag glove and sparring glove, but I’m still not too sure if it’s all a marketing gimmick to get you to buy more gloves.

Also good points on the false sense of security, I already feel this way with 16oz gloves.

t-krav

You have to wrap your hands if you are hitting the heavy bag. If you don’t already, learn how to wrap your hands well and that will provide protection for the bones in your hands and your wrists.

The Rival gloves I use for pad/bag works offer incredible protection.

The last suggestion I would make is to use an app like Fight Trainer (https://www.facebook.com/FightTrainer?ref=br_tf), the Bas Rutten 3 minute rounds MP3s, or some other app that calls out combinations for you. If you keep practicing with these (and maintain proper form) you will not believe how your punching volume and power will increase.

I use the Bas Rutten mp3’s for just plain blasting the bag and conditioning. The Fight Trainer app lets me increase or decrease the frequency of certain strikes as well as the cadence. So, Bas just calls out combos in FAST cadence and I try and keep up. Fight Trainer let’s me tailor a workout to something specific.

Whatever you do – don’t just hit the heavy bag without a purpose.

kmyoshi

I’m currently using some gel handwraps. It provides more padding for my knuckles but doesn’t provide as much wrist support as compared to a traditional wrap because there is less length in the wrap to go around your wrist. I use them under the 16oz gloves or the MMA gloves. I like them because I can put it on and take it off a lot faster than regular wraps. I also use them stand-alone if I don’t feel like using the big gloves.

Thanks for the app suggestion!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: