Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

Wise? Haha. Recently discovering beer? Nah, I was probably like sixteen at some highschool party.

anonymous

Beer-loving teenagers should come to live in Germany. Beer and wine are legal to drink at sixteen. The rest of it at 18. 😀

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Treachery? Against whom? By the way, I thought you were older, too, you seem to be one of the wiser guys on the forum. But only recently discovered the good taste of beer, huh?

I agree with GK, definately a good guy to talk to. Treachery like flattery will get you everywhere, Age hurts 😆

clfmak

The \”age and treachery\” comment was mostly directed at this guy:
    http://www.ncfightclub.com/throwdown/7/ClydeVsCamus.wmv
    The guy with the orange shirt.

anonymous

Damn, can’t watch it. 😥

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

The \”age and treachery\” comment was mostly directed at this guy:
    http://www.ncfightclub.com/throwdown/7/ClydeVsCamus.wmv
    The guy with the orange shirt.

how do you know Clyde? He’s a 6th or 7th kenpo guy under Larry Tatum

clfmak

I met Clyde that day. I sparred a little with him, but there was no video. He’s extremely good.

g-v

Ditto on the age thing, C…thought you were older. 😆

I like your superman punches, front kicks are good, your conditioning is in good shape, and you’re clearly comfortable in there. Your sidekicks leave you too exposed, though. Your opponent could have capitalized on that on several occasions.

That Clyde fellow looks to be one dangerous dude. Would have liked to see a longer clip of him.

unstpabl1

Clyde is a real interesting guy. I’ve only met him once or twice at Larry Tatums’ for the few months I trained there. Talked to him a bit online. He is a hard core kenpoist. He looks at the system as self defense and as outspoken as he is, he always has been willing to show what he knows and talk to all about it. Even posting his phone number on line. I respect him and found him really acessable

clfmak

Re:

quote \”G.V.\:

Ditto on the age thing, C…thought you were older. 😆

I like your superman punches, front kicks are good, your conditioning is in good shape, and you’re clearly comfortable in there. Your sidekicks leave you too exposed, though. Your opponent could have capitalized on that on several occasions.

That Clyde fellow looks to be one dangerous dude. Would have liked to see a longer clip of him.

Those are the sort of techniques I throw at \”probing range\”. Usually that stage doesn’t last for as long as it did, but it was working pretty well so I kept doing the same stuff. Although I am vulnerable during side kicks, usually I’m countered and taken down during round kicks that I leave out long enough to grab.

Here’s some longer clips of Clyde doing his thing:
    http://www.ncfightclub.com/throwdown/7/ClydeVSchris2.wmv
    http://www.tenchijindojo.com/Throwdown/Clyde_v_Shinbushi_1.MP4
    http://www.tenchijindojo.com/Throwdown/Clyde_v_Shinbushi_2.MP4
    http://www.tenchijindojo.com/Throwdown/Clyde_v_Chris.MP4

unstpabl1, have you had the opportunity to spar Clyde?

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CLFMak\:

[

unstpabl1, have you had the opportunity to spar Clyde?

Hey C, how are you buddy? To answer your question No. I was only there a short time, ended up having to do a play and didn’t go back to train for various reasons. I’ve talked to him a few times and he always went out of his way to accomadate and make you feel welcome. Also I watched him teach and he teaches Kenpo with an edge that most schools don’t have at the moment. He has many detractors in the kenpo community because he’s outspoken and extremly loyal to Larry, but he always put it out on the mat. Besides Larry’s kenpo is great. Larry also has a guy who’s sparing amazed me Daryl Liner. His fighting doesn’t look like MMA or kickboxing it looks like kenpo. Having the CMA background you do, I think you can Visualize what I mean. I’ve seen a few Parker kenpo schools and Larry Tatums students always seem to be at another levelAre you training anywhere or playing ronin. Have gloves will spar?
    mike

clfmak

I train with some highschool guys sometimes. Like a month ago I saw them sparring at the local rec center and I joined them. Anyway, one of them recently made a video montage of their matches and I’m in it a few times doing some weird stuff (the part where I’m kicking with one hand on the ground is not poor balance or falling, its a savate thing I’ve been playing around with):
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1986663432

I do have a place to train, but I’m always looking to spar with people of various different backgrounds. I keep a small gear bag with my kempo gloves, mouthpiece and some basic first aid stuff in my car, so you might say have gloves will travel. I’m actually in the process of setting up some training with the wrestler in the first video. I’ve been thinking about fighting at the Gathering of the Pack coming up, but honestly I think they’re on a whole different level than me and I don’t know if I want to be beaten with a stick.
    I’m always interested to see sparring that is good AND doesn’t look like MMA or kickboxing. Marc Denny talks about how modern MMA is young and has not assimilated all the possible structures that can work. In 1994 people might say that leglocks are useless in real fights because they aren’t seen in the UFC, but in reality they just hadn’t been seen yet. This is how Marc views kali/silat regarding the cage. I think this applies to other styles too, including kempo. The sparring is still a very necessary part of training, though.

unstpabl1

If you ever want to come up to L.A. Nick \”Pappydog\” teaches in A park in N. Hollywood for like 10 or 15 dollars. I can put you in touch. He’s a good guy. I think his website is bloodsport.com. Great Sticks. If i can help let me know
    i like the idea of working out with wrestlers

g-v

Re:

Haha, those guys are so totally intimidated by him, lolz. Action dammit, wanna see some action. Anybody put up some resistance to the dude? I gotta say, he looks scary as hell. 😆

CLF, I don’t like those side kicks with toes pointed down primarily coz I find that they commit your (your, mine, in the general sense) dead side right there in front of your opponent. Although, great if your intent is to follow up with a spinning back kick, back fist, whatnot. Otherwise, I prefer kicking with the ball of the foot, toes up, as it always presents your body forward, facing the dude you’re fighting.

clfmak

I view the side kick like the follow through on a thai roundhouse kick that spins you around. In theory, spinning in a circle gives your back to your opponent. In practice, if you spin, you are not close enough for your leg to hit, so your opponent is not close enough to strike you/take your back in that brief time. With a good side kick, if it is close enough it will knock them backwards, if it is not you’re using the increased range to your advantage by putting the foot down.

The lack of action against Clyde was largely due to sidekicks. By keeping his hands down and standing sideways, he would present his face as a target, and if you tried to punch it you’d get kicked in the ribs or liver.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: