Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kvmorl

Anybody done Kenpo at same time as Krav?

Would it be hard to keep both styles separate without bad habits forming?

unstpabl1

Re: American Kenpo

CJ’s dad is a black belt in PAK..I dabbled in it a bit. Garddawg is a BB in an earlier version of PAK. I think his students may have trained in both seperately..krav one night, AK the next, but his version is grittier than the 24 tech system of PAK..not as stylized

I don’t think its a good idea to do both. Their are similarities, but its better to pick one as your core system, get what you need out of it, then look for whats missing in the arsenal…Krav is the more Reality Based system of training. AK has set patterns that are complicated..its a solid system and fundamentally sound, but not alot of improv type training, though that may depend on the instructor

kvmorl

What’s the P stand for (PAK)?

This Kenpo instructor comes from Paul Mills teachings.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

P stands for Parker at least where I come from. “Ed Parkers American Kenpo” Essentially the founder of American Kenpo and the root of the family tree.

But I digress

Study them both, theres nothing that says that you can’t, just differant ways to deal with the same problem.

It really boils down to you and what you can do buddy. 😉

unstpabl1

quote kvmorl:

What’s the P stand for (PAK)?

This Kenpo instructor comes from Paul Mills teachings.

If I recall corectly Paul Mills teaches a 16 tech per belt system and has modified from the last Cirricullum Ed parker schools used as layed out in Infinite Insights…I forget what volume…Kenpo is a house divided so people will either love or hate his version…I kinda of liked what I saw of it online…I live in LA so its very Parker/Tatum style…i think his version is less complicated more combative, but thats my uneducated opinion

I’d also defer to CJ’s Dad on the subject of training as he has more expirience in both systems.. and as i said they mix it nicely at Garddawgs school

kvmorl

I have never done any type of MA before Krav and i know technically it isn’t.

I tried their basic core class, I immediately noticed the huge difference in physical demand compared to Krav, it much less demanding, I did find similarities, one of them was the beleif it should take no more than a few 2-3 hits to take care of the threat, preference on low kicks and concentration on vulnerable points. This was their very basic class and only showed core movements, i will try their self defense next. I did find interesting and useful things.

To me it was more technical and concentrated than Krav on speed. Again this was a very limited class and this is just my quick impression.

One interesting sorta funny thing and i don’t know if this also common in other Kenpo styles, they refer to our Jab hand(left) in the right handed fighting stance as the power side/hand, so when they said hit the pad with weak side (right) the instructor was holding pads immediately said a “Ohh” “you do boxing” i said “no why”, “well that weak side has power” i told him i do a bit of another self defense system and that’s our power side, he smiled.

I don’t like going to other systems/instructors with the mentality what i do is the best yada, yada type, I go with empty cup mentality and don’t like to mention other MA until instructor knows I’m willing to learn his style.

He did offer me more classes to try and something i really like is they are small classes,all adults, no contract, sign up fees and you can pay cash per class or monthly.

Next SD class is next week, eager to try it, but I feel I should keep Krav as core system so far specially with fitness benefits and simply brutal effectiveness.

unstpabl1

Kenpo is about speed and target selection, Mills is a handgun quick draw artist and very fast. He has vids on his website and youtube, so do his students

Power side was always right side in my training. JKD does strong side forward which I like the idea of as weapons training goes strong side forward. Kenpo is definitly more technical than krav. You’ll learn alot from it

I had a problem learning a L1 choke the other day and going to knees. I keep freezing up because I see the temple open or the throat or a takedown so I can kick him in the head…I’m not a advanced martial artist, but I spent alot of time learning about different arts, most only look at one and think it solves the problem..it doesn’t usually,just it closes their minds

You’ll learn great footwork in kenpo and using pivoting and shifting to generate power. It all comes from the stance work. the Mills instructors may be a little more Upper body focused for speed, but it all starts at the feet

hope this helps

quote kvmorl:

I have never done any type of MA before Krav and i know technically it isn’t.

I tried their basic core class, I immediately noticed the huge difference in physical demand compared to Krav, it much less demanding, I did find similarities, one of them was the beleif it should take no more than a few 2-3 hits to take care of the threat, preference on low kicks and concentration on vulnerable points. This was their very basic class and only showed core movements, i will try their self defense next. I did find interesting and useful things.

To me it was more technical and concentrated than Krav on speed. Again this was a very limited class and this is just my quick impression.

One interesting sorta funny thing and i don’t know if this also common in other Kenpo styles, they refer to our Jab hand(left) in the right handed fighting stance as the power side/hand, so when they said hit the pad with weak side (right) the instructor was holding pads immediately said a “Ohh” “you do boxing” i said “no why”, “well that weak side has power” i told him i do a bit of another self defense system and that’s our power side, he smiled.

I don’t like going to other systems/instructors with the mentality what i do is the best yada, yada type, I go with empty cup mentality and don’t like to mention other MA until instructor knows I’m willing to learn his style.

He did offer me more classes to try and something i really like is they are small classes,all adults, no contract, sign up fees and you can pay cash per class or monthly.

Next SD class is next week, eager to try it, but I feel I should keep Krav as core system so far specially with fitness benefits and simply brutal effectiveness.

kmman

I apply principles in Jeet Kune Do to my Krav Maga (actually the principles are quite similar anyway) so I suppose you can do this with all martial arts.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote :

You’ll learn great footwork in kenpo and using pivoting and shifting to generate power. It all comes from the stance work.

I agree 100% not to mention the first time they say “use hammer fists with your combatives” and you bust out with “thundering/raining hammers”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: