Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Anna Kournikova – Krav Article

• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by g-v.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    kmtakinkm

My wife turned me on to this article. Nothing like free publicity, especilly from a superstar.

… not sure what it means by \”he has won six Krav Maga world titles\”?

Is Moti part of the KM Worldwide system? I could not find it on the locations site.
    ———————————

GOOD SPORT: MARTIAL LAW

Anna Kournikova Gets The Workout Of A Lifetime – And Banishes Her Stress – With Krav Maga

By Anna Kournikova With Additional Reporting By Hillary Kerr

I like seeing girls kick ass (Yeah, baby!). From Jennifer Garner cleaning clocks on Alias to Charlize Theron smashing her enemies faces on Aeon Flux, it’s practically impossible not to feel admiration for these women rocking a mean judo chop. I was intereted to learn that both women (along with countless others) prepared for their fight scenes by learning Krav Maga, the hand-to-hand-combat method developed by a boxer named Imi Lictenfield in the 1930’s. Krav Maga is used by not only the Israeli Defense Force but also many members of the FBI, LAPD, and NYPD. Basically, it’s a form of self-defense based on intuitive moves that are relatively easy to learn.

I studied with Moti of Miami’s Moti Horenstein’s Karate and Kickboxing Academy. In brief, Moti is hard-core. He’s been training since the age of five, was on the Israeli Special Forces, and has won six Krav Maga world champion titles – so I knew i was in very capable hands. everything is performed barefoot, which was a hugh change for me because I’m always in sneakers. To start, we ran for 10 minuites and did traditional warm-ups such as two sets of 20 push-ups, two sets of 100 crunches, and splits to stretch.

Next, we moved to punches and kicks. I ended up getting an incredible allover body workout because i was always on my toes, dancing around while focusing on swinging my arms correctly and coordinating my kicks. The rhythm comes naturally to me – it’s actually very similar to tennis because you have to be alert to what the other person is doing and then react to it – and I loved gettin all my aggression out. My favorites were the spinning kicks, which are fabulous for your butt, and the low, medium, and high kicks, which work your quads, and zap love handles. Unlike karate, which takes years to master, the results of Krav Maga come quickly. You’ll notice a difference in yourself, mentally and physically, after studying twice a week for a few months.

Of the various workouts I’ve done for ELLE, this is definitely the best stress reliever. Every inch of my body was engaged, from the muscles in my feet (steadiyng myself without shoes) to the top of my shoulders (from doing jabs and hooks). I also learned some self-defense. Say you’re at a club and some drunk idiot snatches you by the wrist. Grab his thumb with your free handand pull back sharply 90 degrees. If you yank it while while rotating your trapped wrist away from your body, he’ll let go – and hopefully he won’t try that on any other unsuspecting women. A few lessons do not an expert make, but I did pick up a lot of handy tools from Moti. All I can say is paparrazzi, keep your distance!

Moti Horenstein’s Karate And Kickboxing Academy, (305) 935-1855
    http://www.mhka.com

chicochi

Hmm…. I wonder who is responsible for all those typos? Anna or the \”additional reporter\”? 😉

Interesting she says they practice barefoot. Is this common?

ryan

Moti, to my knowledge, teaches Hisardut.

These two were on the Today show this weekend, and the demonstration they did was not good. While they referred to Krav Maga, and they presented Moti as a Krav Maga instructor, I didn’t see any Krav Maga in what they were doing. Also, in this article, Anna states, \”everything is performed barefoot\” and \”My favorites were the spinning kicks\”. Neither of these things are indicative of Krav Maga training.

johnwhitman

No, he’s not.

This is another example of what we are fighting so hard against.

Moti Horenstein is an extremely talented fighter, and he has a lot of experience in Hisardut, another Israeli system. But suddenly it’s all about Krav Maga. Why not brand Anna Kournikova and Hisardut? Why not brand Anna Kournikova and Moti Horenstein?

The answer is that it’s easier to brand Anna Kournikova and Krav Maga…why? Because we put all the effort in.

chicochi

Is she getting paid for this endorsement? She doesn’t usually do things for free.

swornenemy

If the media can’t report on something simple like this in an accurate manner, imagine what they screw up (regularly) on the important news!

stillticking

As John mentioned, it’s real easy to claim that you are doing KM or anything else if there isn’t strict trademarking enforced. This seems to be especially true with martial arts and those looking to make a quick buck off of other peoples hard work.

One thing I look for when confronted with such are hints that what someone is doing might not be true. There was mention of the barefoot training and the spinning kicks. There was also a mention of being the World Krav Maga Champion. Is there such a thing? My impression was that due to the nature of KM, it wasn’t suitable for competitions.

anonymous

Self-defense as a stress RELIEVER????? 😕 😉

Anyway, if Anna Kournikova does it, it must be great… 🙄

leftie79

She also mentions that she \”also learned some self-defense. Say you’re at a club and some drunk idiot snatches you by the wrist. Grab his thumb with your free handand pull back sharply 90 degrees. If you yank it while while rotating your trapped wrist away from your body, he’ll let go – and hopefully he won’t try that on any other unsuspecting women. \”

Does she even mention getting choked from the front/back/side, bearhugs, headlock etc? Just something I noticed.

swornenemy

Or maybe, it should be \”what if someone attacks one of your 3 bodyguards?\”

I wouldn’t mind sparring with Anna, a little ground work. You know what I’m talking about.

g-v

Re:

quote \”raving sultan\:

I wouldn’t mind sparring with Anna, a little ground work. You know what I’m talking about.

I think so. You wanna show her your ‘oh’ face, right? Oh, oh oh. 😉

philst

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Self-defense as a stress RELIEVER????? 😕 😉

Yes! After a long day of little trolls barking at me in the office, a good Krav session is one of my favourite ways to unwind. Saves me turning to booze.

As for groundwork with Anna… 😀 … I need to get out more.

kravmdjeff

While the piece obviously perpetuated a lot of misconceptions about Krav Maga, I do believe that any press is good press. It actually brought some people into our doors, where we were immediately able to clear up the wrong info and show them what KM really is. I’d rather have a conversation with an interested potential student about the Anna piece than not have the conversation at all.

anonymous

Really, Phil?

Hmmm, somehow the thought of a 300 pound prison escapee dragging me into the bushes and \”molesting\” me while holding a knife to me throat, just doesn’t sound very relaxing to me…. 🙁 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: