Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics any military members doing krav?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phoenix

I’m currently stationed in Korea right now and I’m wondering if there were any other military members out there who are doing Krav and somehow training on their own or know of someone to train with. I’m at level two, but I was supposed to take the test to get to level 3 before I departed.

It’s definitely hard trying to train on your own and I’m not really interested in some of the other martial arts the gyms and bases offer.

Thanks,

ppct-dti

I am a US Marine and I love attending my Krav classes. It is too bad you don’t have any classes there in Korea, but here is an idea that may work for you.

Find a group of soldiers in your unit that you are tight with and who would want to train; I know what is like to be deployed so this shouldn’t be too difficult.

If you have your old curriculum book with you then you are in a good situation, if not try to get someone to send it to you or contact your old school to see if they will send you one and if both of those options fail then contact me and I will send you my old one.

Buy the DVDís and watch them very closely. The DVDís are really nicely produced so relearning old techniques and learning new ones from them should be easy but remember take notes. This will keep your technique sharp.

Now to include/teach your friends, I suggest doing this in the same manner in which you were taught. Think back over your training, remember how the class format was, the time your instructor had the students working on this technique or drill. Remember all those punching and flurry drills your friends will love them.

It may help you to develop lesson plans and a schedule; this will keep the training moving in the right direction.

One last hint, although this is not Krav, use the teaching acronym EDIP as a guide when teaching the techniques, broken down EDIP means = Explain the technique (break it down into its parts beginning, middle, and end) Demonstrate the technique at full speed then at a slower speed so your fellow soldiers will see all of its parts, then have your fellow soldiers Imitate the technique (start with the beginning, then have them imitate the beginning and the middle, the have them imitate the whole technique), then have them Practice the technique until they have it down. This is pretty close to Krav, except in Krav they demonstrate the technique first at full speed them move into the explanation phase.

You never know, you may find teaching a rewarding experience and come back and want to become a Krav Instructor. Your unit training Officer my even take an interest. Regardless one of the best ways to really learn is to teach. Trust me, you will find yourself learning just as your friends will. Your skills will stay sharp and you can come home and take that level 3 test. As long as you don’t misrepresent yourslef as an official Krav Instructor, I am sure the NTC will not have a problem with you setting up this kind of a training group. Good luck and god bless.

Desert Storm
    Iraq Freedom 2003

aflt

I know an individual stationed at Osan who is a Krav Law Enforcement Agency certified instructor, who would love to find someone to work out with. What service and where are you stationed at? Let me know if you want his name. I believe his one year remote ends in June.

phoenix

To both posters, thanks for your response.

I think getting a group of soldiers who might be interested in training and learning together is a good idea. I think the soldiers I have will be interested in it. It will give us a new opportunity to focus on something other than common skill training for a short time.

AFLT- could you pass along the name of the soldier who is here at Osan AB. I am also stationed at Osan AB (small Army Detachment) and it would be great to get an opportunity to possibly train with a certified instructor if he/she’s willing. Could you e-mail me possibly and give your POC a heads up before I e-mail him/her? I’d hate to come out of the blue with a request for some assistance.

Thanks again.

aflt

I’ve emailed him and asked his permission to tell you. Can you please provide your email address so I don’t violate Privacy Policy stuff by posting his information on an open forum??

Also, remember he’s certified as a Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics instructor. That means he has a good grasp of the basics, but probably not as extensive as a certified KM instructor, especially since everything he learned had to be applied in a Use of Force model. As cops, defensive tactics are lifesavers, and are designed to buy time to access higher force options (i.e. baton, pepper spray, firearms) – NOT necessarily to defeat the enemy using only personal combatives. Just wanted to be clear so that you wouldn’t have unreasonable expectations about his overall skill level.

phoenix

AFLT:

Thanks. You can just click on my e-mail icon at the bottom. He can e-mail me at that address. Not a problem about level of Krav training. I’ll probably have to do refresher training since I’ve been out of it so long. It would just be fun to get back into it and train and possibly learn new things that would be applicable for the military too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: