Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    xyber

Re: Any other gun nuts?

Not a gun nut (yet). Just purchased my first firearm… a HK. That HK gallery is really nice.

quote xyber:

Not a gun nut (yet). Just purchased my first firearm… a HK. That HK gallery is really nice.

Which HK?

xyber

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Which HK?

I got an HK P30. 😀 I’m very happy with my choice too.

I was looking at a Sig 226 .40 and a S&W MP. I even thought about the a CZ. The CZ was felt good but I never shot it so i could not comment on it really. I liked the Springfield XD features, but I didn’t like the way it felt when shooting.

markx3

Talk about a gunaholic, after buying the sr556 and not even shooting it, I’ve been now looking online at the xdm9 because of all the neat features and the price. I’m probably going to control myself and not do it. However the one thing I don’t like about it is the MADE IN CROATIA on the side of the frame. I think I would feel guilty if I bought it since I just bought the sr556.

russell

quote markx3:

Talk about a gunaholic, after buying the sr556 and not even shooting it, I’ve been now looking online at the xdm9 because of all the neat features and the price. I’m probably going to control myself and not do it. However the one thing I don’t like about it is the MADE IN CROATIA on the side of the frame. I think I would feel guilty if I bought it since I just bought the sr556.

dont worry about the croatia thing, its a wonderful gun, ive sold plenty, and never a complaint, i think all the great guns come from europe, glock,h&k, walther,sig, cz

the xd line is a great line, but if you like ruger try the sr9 it has a 17 round mag,poly frame,double action stryker fired,with a trigger and thumb saftey, add a fobus holster a third magazine,and a fobus mag pouch and youve got a hell of a carry gunthumbsup

markx3

That doesn’t look like its for me. For starters, the first time I view the pistol online at the site, there’s a big factory recall warning. Not good.

russell

quote markx3:

That doesn’t look like its for me. For starters, the first time I view the pistol online at the site, there’s a big factory recall warning. Not good.

here’s the skinny on the recall, a lawyer for ruger said that since the glock has the trigger spur, the ruger should also, nevermind the fact that the gun had a thumb safety, thats why the recall, even if they had a recall, all the guns in the store now have been modified to the new trigger(with the spur) and remember one of the gun safety rules….keep your finger OFF the trigger till your ready to shoot, and you wont need the trigger safety at all

my ruger p-85, had a recall on it in 89, one (yes ONE) gun fired when someone put the hammer drop safety on, ruger recalled ALL p-85s to add one feature to it, after that they changed the name to the p-89and that gun stayed inproduction till just this year, it was replaced by the (drum roll please)….the sr9

all makers have had a recall at one time or another, i’m just glad the makers admit to a mistake and fix it( i have a friend with a ppk with 007 in the serial number,and he’s afraid to send it back for the walther safety recall, he thinks someone at s&w will keep it and send him another one)

good luck on whatever you decide

and if you decide on the xdm its a great gun, if you decide on the ruger its a great gun

Hey Guys,
    I have shot both pistols and for their intended purposes, they are both fine. Some things to think about are factory and small part support (Springfield has had mixed issues as far as support for the XD). Don’t be alarmed about recall notices for firearms, they are extremely common. The difference is that American companies call them what they are, while European companies usually hide behind “upgrade” notices. Even the “Elite” Euro manufacturers Sig and HK have had “upgrades”. Glock has them every couple of months, and then they just “shade the truth” to the end users. I really don’t care what they call them as long as they fix the problems. They are machines, they will break.

markx3

Hi Jeremy,

In your opinion, what is the intended purpose of the XDM series? I would think it could be used for duty carry, home defense, range time, etc.

Are handguns also listed as mil spec and non-mil spec quality? If so what’s a mil spec handgun? Sig 226, 92fs, Colt 1911, etc?

quote markx3:

Hi Jeremy,

In your opinion, what is the intended purpose of the XDM series? I would think it could be used for duty carry, home defense, range time, etc.

Are handguns also listed as mil spec and non-mil spec quality? If so what’s a mil spec handgun? Sig 226, 92fs, Colt 1911, etc?

With any serious law enforcement/.mil hardware there is a large domestic roll out as far as manufacture and support. Sig, Beretta, and Glock all manufacture at least portions of their firearms in the States. For military grade weaponry this is because there are laws that require it, for LE guns, it’s because there is high turnover and huge logistic issues (three months ago, I called Glock and told them my department needed 10,000 striker assemblies for a newly identified issue. They had them to us in three days, along with 5 factory armorers. Very few companies could pull this off). When Smith and Wesson debuted the M&P line, it was accompanied with a huge push in armorer schools and factory tours. This put the industry on notice that they were serious about the pistol. Those of us in the industry expect there to be problems with any system, it’s how the companies position themselves to deal with these issues that indicates their viability as a true duty grade weapon. This is one of the reasons that the XD is not a serious LE contender. The Ruger is new, so time will tell. Both guns are marketed to the armed citizen rather than a professional level end user. Round count and conditions are much different, not to say that the guns couldn’t (in most circumstances) do the job (I rather like the Ruger), just that the companies are positioning them differently. Ruger is known as a “Fudd” gun company and the XD started life as the H&S 2000, so both have a steep hill to climb as far as industry perception.

freelancer

Not really a gun nut but I have a Beretta model 96 (.40) and an AR. Wish I could shoot more. About all the shooting I’ve done lately is with a Beretta airsoft pistol in my garage practicing drawing and focus shooting drills LOL!

quote Freelancer:

Not really a gun nut but I have a Beretta model 96 (.40) and an AR. Wish I could shoot more. About all the shooting I’ve done lately is with a Beretta airsoft pistol in my garage practicing drawing and focus shooting drills LOL!

You will be surprised just how much this will help your live fire practice. I wish everyone would do this!

freelancer

I’ve found it useful, although my neighbors (both ex-marines) walked by the other morning and saw me shooting the other morning and started laughing. Ya they ended shooting too after about 5 minutes.

Here’s a picture of the airsoft pistol and the real thing. I tried to find one that matched as close as possible so I could get my hand position and grip consistent. It’s a gas pistol with removable magazine but does not have a working slide, which they do have for sale. I think the thing cost me 50 bucks.

My local range (like most civilian ranges) won’t allow quick draws or rapid fire, so really this is the only way I can practice holster draws and any sort of movement. I mostly work stance, hand position, movement, rapid draw and fire (2 or 3 rounds), and speed vs. accuracy at ranges from 6 to 12 ft. The targets I print off the computer.

All in all a cheap alternative to the range and very flexible. Also interesting after doing some burpies or crossfit workout trying to controll my breathing.

mara-jade

quote Jeremy Stafford:

You will be surprised just how much this will help your live fire practice. I wish everyone would do this!

Yeah, it really does – Pete’s place uses Air Soft gurns at their indoor gun range. It helped me out with my practice as getting to a live range at times isn’t closethumbsup

aviatordave

I guess I’m lucky as far as ranges goes. There’s one not too far that does allow full-auto (but oddly, no rapid firing other than full auto). There’s another one that has several all concrete outdoor bays, one of which is a head to head drill. There’s a post with 6 steel plates held horizontally that can pivot 180 degrees from side to side around the post.

You each start with 3 six or eight inch plates on your side and 3 on the other side with your pistols either on the table or holstered. Once you start, the goal is to swing all the plates to the other side at the same time. I think it’s maybe 5 or 7 yards away. The really tricky part is that it sometimes doesn’t swing with even a direct hit from a 9mm or 45 unless it’s out near the edge, so they may take more than one hit.

I love that bay, you can learn to fire accurate doubletap pairs, and to switch quickly from target to target. Once you can get accurate pairs that hit the plates, it’s very close to a mozambique drill as well with a pair on one target, then a single or another pair on another target. You’re allowed to reload as well, so you can practice speed reloads also. It’s the only range I’ve seen something like that, I wish they all had one.

I got to do it after hours one time with my MP5, but that took all the challenge out of it since the other guy only had a .45. Three or four bursts and I was done. :):

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: