Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Anybody check out this month’s BB Magazine?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kmsf

Was just wondering if anyone besides me caught that Bas was wearing a pair of Krav pants in a picture on page 128. He’s kneeling but if you look hard at the insignia you can tell. This was last year at some Pride event in LA.

anonymous

I’m not sure I caught that picture, but In think Bas often wears Krav shorts in pictures. I know I’ve seen him wear them many times.

An article I thought was interesting in this month BB magazine was the reprint of a story they first published in 1966. It was about this old Japanese (or Chinese, not sure) master, who would work out with his students in the bitter cold for a week. It would be snowing and they didn’t have blankets at night, had to meditate for hours in freezing temperatures, train barefoot in the snow and then, half frozen already, stand for hours almost naked under an ice cold water fall. I think this was supposed to build their mental toughness and they were quite proud of the fact that each time they tried this \”only\” about four to five people suffered serious frost bite.

Gee, I’m glad the NTC is located in sunny California. ‘8) Although I guess we could go up to the mountains and give this a try… 🙄

la-revancha

You can see Bas in more Krav gear in his Big Books of Combat.

armor-all

I’ve been to a few Bas seminars over the past year at Ryan Hoover’s school in Charlotte, NC, and I believe Bas wore a pair each time.

kmsf

Those are times and places where it would be common for him to wear them, I was just refering to some non- Krav function that he wore them to – So I thought it was worth mentioning.

guerrero

Hey Giantkiller,

If I recall correctly, that article you cited dealt with Mas Oyama. I studied his system, Kyokushin, 20 years ago in NYC. It was an extremely macho system, with an emphasis on toughness and power. While I loved the art at the time, I realized after branching out that its efficacy was severely limited.

One key point was that in sparring, direct shots to the face were not allowed. As a result, a practitioner tended to keep his/her hands low. After moving to CA and training in Shotokan, I really got peppered in the face for awhile until I adjust accordingly.

Now, of course, I’ve moved on to the more eclectic and practical arts, such as KM!

Oh yeah, to keep this post on target – I really dig Bas!

clfmak

Mas Oyama was the guy who used to fight bulls back in the day (there’s an old video clip of it on the internet somewhere). Kyokushin matches are fun to watch- they often use flashy kicks. Does anyone know if this style has been put to use in MMA?
    Which segues to Bas I guess (to keep it relevant). Yay for jumping splits to four sides!

aflt

FYI, for kicks and giggles. Although I believe Mas Oyama may have also done things like that, the article was about Gogen \”the Cat\” Yamaguchi, who was the head of the Japanese Goju Kai system. He was also a hard-core type, who instituted free sparring in karate, as opposed to the formalized, ritual sparring forms that had existed before – at least according to many oral histories, with some written collaboration. Yamaguchi passed away perhaps 15 years ago, give or take a few.

Very much like Mas Oyama’s system, the training was tough, with numerous reported serious injuries and a couple of deaths. Of course, this was in Post WWII Japan, where expectations, society, and lawyers were rather different than here in the US.

Today, of course, many Goju Ryu and/or Goju Kai schools have been watered down, both to attract a larger student base as well as avoid litigation. However, many of them still place a heavy emphasis on body conditioning, fitness, and effective, realistic H2H combat training.

anonymous

Yes, the article I was referring to was about Mas Oyama. I’m not sure if Gogen Yamaguchi was also mentioned, or if that was yet another article. This one was a reprint from 1966 and in the issue out now, I believe it’s already the March edition.

That seems odd that they would do such intense training in ice cold temperatures, but then not work on protecting the head. Sounds like wrong priorities. 😯

The article also mentioned training in streams and the ocean, against the pull of the water (keeping your base, moving in your stance or even sparring while at the same time fighting the currents etc). That actually sounded interesting, I could imagine that doing that would help develop strength and balance. Doesn’t have to be in freezing temperatures, though, could be done on a nice summer day! 😉

aflt

Interesting. I was thinking of a more recent history article that was in BB, as well as some rather famous (at least in MA circles) photos of Yamaguchi standing under a waterfall in shorts. I can’t speak with much authority about Oyama’s system, although observation of fighting styles during sparring matches and such support your statement. Goju, on the other hand, works very hard at protecting the head, and attaching it, along with other vulnerable points.

The other training you mention is indeed fantastic for developing balance and core strength – but I agree with you. It should be done in a warm ocean with sunny skies 😀 Fortunately, I’m currently stationed on Guam, where the ocean temperature is always 82 – 85 degrees, so outdoor practice can be alot of fun 😀

aflt

By more recent, I mean than 1966. I think the article about Yamaguchi appeared (or was reprinted) sometime in the late 90s. Then again, it may not have appeared in BB at all, but in one of the other MA magazines, such as Classical Fighting Arts or Budo Masters. I really can’t remember. . .Sorry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: