Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Anyone watch Human Weapon:Pankration last night?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mara-jade

That was a great episode. We’re bigitme ancient history lovers and hearing about the 300 made it all the better.

I kinda thought one of the first moves they showed kinda reminded of straight punch with advance.

These shows are great but $25 an episode?? Geez maybe for 2 but dang.. history channel already selling the episodes to ship in October. 😯

blindfold

I thought it was great also. I missed the first 10 minutes of it though.

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”blindfold\:

I thought it was great also. I missed the first 10 minutes of it though.

Did you check their schedule? It’s be shown several times 🙂

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Episodes&content_type_id=54992&display_order=3&mini_id=54986

maskedkat

We caught the end of it, enough to see the big guy rack up quite a few penalties for dirty fightin’. That is some tough s**t! Outfits a little goofy, though.

mara-jade

Greek clothing so not surprised myself 🙂 . Yeah, Bill got smacked around a bit but according to the points, he was close (20 vs 18 at the end).

gp

I enjoyed watching this show. Nice historical background information and how the Greeks are reviving the art. I loved the conditioning drills those guys went through… just like it was back then.. great stuff!

It was a good fight at the end. I didn’t understand why the referee waited for Bill Duff to smack that guy’s head into the mat the third time before he gave him a penalty…

blindfold

I didn’t really think of those as penalties. More along the lines of excessive brutality. I would have given points for creativity. The punch to the face was a penalty situation though. If he hadn’t had 6 points of penalties he would have won the match.

kenvljr

Next week is the episode featuring Krav Maga

giant-killer

Can’t wait. 😯 Already saw a funky gun technique in the preview they were showing, but it was only a few seconds long, so one couldn’t really get a good feel for it, however it didn’t look like one of ours…

mara, instead of shelling out the 25 bucks, why not use a common device entitled \”VCR\”, or better yet a DVD burner? Same difference, minus the 25$ and no waiting for it to ship, can’t lose. 😀

I like the show, too, the only thing I would have liked to see more of would have been a few more exotic techniques, even if those weren’t the most fundamental of the style. For example, they were showing a double leg takedown, shoulder lock and leg lock as if they had never seen one of those in their lives. Yet those are very common techniques in other arts as well, so I would assume most viewers (not to mention the hosts) of the show would be very familliar with them. How about showing some moves that likely few viewers have seen before, so one can learn something new?

But it was still interesting, I liked the front kick with the heel. So Krav Maga next week, huh? The suspense is rising to the boiling point (as the Germans say)… 🙂

clfmak

Re:

quote \”blindfold\:

I didn’t really think of those as penalties. More along the lines of excessive brutality. I would have given points for creativity. The punch to the face was a penalty situation though. If he hadn’t had 6 points of penalties he would have won the match.

There are specific rules against the things he did and they mentioned them ahead of time. I didn’t like how he would justify his fouls by saying how it would work in a real fight. That’s totally irrelevant in a pankration match.

mara-jade

GK – Yeah, I know..just a PITA to do that sometimes 😀 . I do have a DVD burner 🙂 . Just hate having to weed through the commercials and stuff.

Yeah, some of the moves were like ‘um, this is new?’ for those of us used to seeing stuff like that. Definitely watching the KM one.

So far I wouldn’t mind having the savate and pankration episodes. We’ll see how good the KM one is.

giant-killer

How about just pausing the tape/DVD during commercials? Maybe a bit of a PITA, but well worth it and it’ll save you some cash. I don’t know, why spend 25$ on something you’ve just seen for free?

leejam99

I was surprise to hear that all the techniques being used now were created/revived using the wall paintings and historical art…..not from a direct practitioner…. did I hear that right?

It seems like that can open it self up to lot of different interpretation of the original art/techniques. One of the instructor on the show was introduced as a kickboxing expert/trainer (the guy that was showing front kick).

I guess my point is if this is true, how true can the techniques be from its original form/art. I just found that to be surprising and odd.

giant-killer

True, but maybe they also have descriptions of fights from ancient texts, to at least get a bit of a better understanding? I suppose you couldn’t know for sure and so there would be a number of things open to interpretation and this form of pankration is thus really only the modern version.

By the way, saw the Escrima episode last night. Has anyone tried that takedown where you cross the opponents arms and then flip him over? Looked pretty cool, but I wonder how effective it would be in a fight.

clfmak

Modern pankration is mostly recreated from other existing arts like wrestling and muay thai, thanks to Jim Arvantis and mu tau.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: