Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Re: AR-15’s

quote markx3:

After looking at http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c6-q9-Colt_Rifles.aspx# believe it or not it was the MT6400C going for $1000 new. I know it sounds too cheap since I’m used to seeing them much higher. One of the reasons I didn’t buy it was because I didn’t like the short and fat hand guard.

I was watching a video online about the Ruger SR556. The guy was saying how the SR556 shot 20,000 rounds without cleaning or jamming. IF this is true, how would that be less quality than a Mil Spec gun?

Does anyone know how many rounds Mil Spec guns are supposed to fire without problems?

That’s a great price, that particular carbine is directed at the civilian market and does not have a collapsable stock nor does it have certain desirable fire control components. It is not an M4, it simply has the M4 profile. Colt recently went through a lawsuit in regards to the M4 badging, so this is their way of marking their territory so to speak. The short, fat handguards are designed that way because in it’s original full auto configuration, the barrel would get extremely hot.
    Milspec refers not only to the materials and manner that the weapon is manufactured, but also to the fact that there are actual scientists on location to insure that barrels and bolts are mpt’d, shot-peened, and high pressure tested. This is done with each component, not just with “batches”. The quality is also insured at each assembly point by an actual certified technician, not a laborer. After completion, an actual engineer will randomly rip apart a pallet, pull a gun from the middle, and then shoot it and abuse it until it fails. I’m sure the Ruger did go that many rounds, I have an M16 a1 that I put about 12,000 rounds through without cleaning. I just kept it lubed. But can it handle being dropped, kicked, run over, etc? Much more goes into Military acceptance than mean rounds between failure. The Ruger has numerous patents on it’s piston system, time will tell if it’s the real deal. As good as the HK piston gun is, it’s having abuse problems. LAPD SWAT has decided to stay with their M4 rather than to transition to th HK like some other units.

markx3

Thanks for the info Jeremy! Let me know when you’re ready to discuss optics for this new toy!

quote markx3:

Thanks for the info Jeremy! Let me know when you’re ready to discuss optics for this new toy!

I’ll bet an EoTech would look great on that gun…or check eBay for a used Aimpoint, a buddy just picked up a slightly used m3 pretty cheap. Or, if you’re feeling frisky, I like the Aimpoint micro t or h1 with a LaRue mount.

markx3

Stupid question time but…

I’m looking for something red-dot-ish.
    Not too expensive $400 ish since I’m not going to shoot much.
    Something that will work at about 150 yards max, and be able to use with both eyes looking through it.
    Made in the USA or at least from a friendly country 🙂
    Is there something that fits all the above AND can work with or without batteries?

quote markx3:

Stupid question time but…

I’m looking for something red-dot-ish.
    Not too expensive $400 ish since I’m not going to shoot much.
    Something that will work at about 150 yards max, and be able to use with both eyes looking through it.
    Made in the USA or at least from a friendly country 🙂
    Is there something that fits all the above AND can work with or without batteries?

All the optics that meet ALL of your requirements are over 400. The Aimpoint micro can be picked up for a good deal sometimes and the battery lasts like 10,000 hours. The leupold prismatic doesn’t need a battery but is pricey…..The best option would probably be a used Aimpoint compM3, lots of run time on a battery, fairly inexpensive since they released the compM4. Trijicon makes some pretty good stuff too, maybe take a look at some of their reflex optics.

munster

I tried to qual with the aimport and after trying to zero the damn thing it threw it off and put on the EoTEC that worked ok but I still just cant get over using iron sites. Which is what ill be using for my upcoming deployment to the sandbox esp since my armorer hasent given me new handguard to mount my ir pointer and surefire…..so good ole 550 cord and ducktape will be applied down there if that doesnt get done and nothing beats all that (iron sites, 550, and ducktape). Imagine if that guy that invented all that knew what other uses were instore for his product. lol

What’s an aimport? I know of no serious meat eater that is using iron sights by choice, but hey, you are in the Air Force….stop spending all of your money on beer and go by yourself a proper railed forend, you’ll have enough stuff to worry about if the SHTF. And for gods sake, check your spelling and grammar when you post. It’s bad enough people know that I was your instructor, I don’t want them to think I let illiterates through my program. Goofy kid, don’t do anything stupid.

munster

*aimpoint lol and you guys knocked me in the head so much that you guys are probably to blame for my illiterate ways lol remind me to thank you and show you some love next time I see you.

Good info on this thread.

I have a plan jane Rock River. Dont really have money to put into, need more ammo.

To me having enuff ammo/mags is more important that anything. I would rather have a hammer that a AR with no bullets.

I really just plink with it, or shoot a varmits-yotes.

I wanting to take a carbine class. We might be instead of a bachelor party for my buddy.

freelancer

quote :

And for gods sake, check your spelling and grammar when you post.

errrr. Jeremy…

quote :

stop spending all of your money on beer and go by yourself a proper railed forend…
    quote markx3:

Well I bought mine for a few reasons.

A) To look hella cool in my safe 99.9999% of the time
    B) To shoot it once a year if that
    C) In case all hell breaks loose

I’m sure it will work fine for all three. 🙂

rofl2 Too funny. I put together a kit a few years ago from model 1 and a DPMS lower. Nearest outdoor range is across the border in MO. By the time I drive there, shoot for a couple hours and drive back it gets pretty pricey. Last two times I shot the damn thing was indoor with a .22 conversion kit from Ceiner.

PS. Jeremy what’s your prefered zero. At first I did 100, then I tried the 50yd zero and ended up sticking with that.

freelancer

I should modify that last question. I first zeroed an aproximation like we did so many years ago in the Army; 25m for a 300m zero, though it was actually 25yds. Then I zeroed for 100yds and ended up reading an article about “improved battle sight Zero” which I settled on as it was more. Conducive to my range shooting.

quote Freelancer:

errrr. Jeremy…

PS. Jeremy what’s your prefered zero. At first I did 100, then I tried the 50yd zero and ended up sticking with that.

Good catch! I actually found another one, but I’m not about to roll on myself!

For general purposes, I prefer the 50 yard zero. It has become the de facto standard throughout the industry. I use it on all of my duty and personal carbines. I know of one high speed outfit that prefers the 100 yard zero and I have used it in the past, but the 50 yard zero keeps the round +/- 2 inches out to like 270 yards.

russell

ive talked about it a few times but now its done! my first ar

s&w lower
    model 1 sales lpk
    utg 6 position stock
    command arms modular grip
    extended mag release (with a punisher logothumbsup)
    delton 1 in 9 crome lined m4 contour
    yankee hill mc5 flash hider/agressive end break
    utg free float quad rail with covers
    4 rail gas block
    nc star scope(for now)

all together it cost less than 800.00 and is exactly what i want

see pics here

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=212704931

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

drooooooooool

leam

If you want opinions on quality proven through use, check out your local USPSA 3-gun competitions. http://www.uspsa.org/ Most USPSA folks put more rounds downrange in a match than many LEOs do in a year, and Mil-Spec does not mean “works every time”. 🙂

On the other hand, remember that USPSA is a sport/game, so there might be some geegaws on those blasters you might not want or need.

Leam

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: