Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    ds314

I heard that the Bas Rutten 28 Workouts are pretty good. Do any of you all there do these workout’s on a regular basis or at least tried the workouts? Any thoughts? Currently I attend Krav classes 3 times a week and work out with weights 3 times per week. I also jog 3-5 miles a day usually 5 days per week. If possible I would like to shorten my workout times if I could receive the same benefit or more compared to what I do now.

DS314

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

YES!!! There are many of us who do the Bas work out religiously!

t-j

The Boxing, Thai Boxing and MMA Workouts are good if you mix it up. For eample: shadowbox 2 rnds, heavy bag 4 rnds, focus mits or BOB bag for remaining rnds, etc… If you just shadow box the whole time you won’t get the full benefit. Make sure you mix it up. I believe it is 10 x 2 min rounds or 8 x 3 min rounds per workout.

Now to the “All Around Wourkout” CD. There are 2 tracks on this CD. One is a 28 min grind session that will definetly kick your butt. It starts out 2 min shadow boxing, 30 seconds push ups, 30 seconds ab work, 3 second jumping squats, 30 seconds neck exercise, back to 1 min shadow box… repeat (with nasty little treats spread throughout like 30 seconds of sprawls). The shadowboxing portion of this workout becomes your rest time. Just remember that like anything, you get out it, what you put in to it. You can spend 30 secs doing 3 pushups, or 30 pushups. I do this workout at least once a week, and as long as you push yourself you will never plateau.

The second track on the “All Around Wourkout” CD is meant for you and a partner. It starts with 2 minutes of kicking on a heavy bag, and then goes right into grappling for a few minutes. I have neve done this workout, so I can’t comment on the effectiveness.

Hope this could help you out. I definetly recommend the CDs. They are very effective if used correctly.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Even if you just do them at home in front of a mirror it’s a great way to work form in a regimented fashion.

Sometimes especially when you’re a beginner it’s difficult to know what to do. Its like the first time you walk into a gym and see all the weights and machines your like OK I’m here.. now what.

The Bas CD does really help to give direction to your workout. I think that’s the reason many of us who have trained for years still use them, especially to train alone. It takes the guess work out of it and it’s like having a private lesson with someone calling out the combos.

I play hooky from work all the time during my lunch break to do 20 minutes of Bas.

Step 1 – I’ve admitted I am powerless over my addiction to Bas workouts –
    Step 2 – Came to believe that the Bas workout could restore me to sanity –

ds314

Thanks you for your responses. I’m looking for something challenging, so it sounds like I will not be disapointed if I order the set.

DS314

kvmorl

I believe also one of the Directors for BAS is active on these forums…

My instructor highly recommended it as well, I will be ordering a copy soon.

la-revancha

Yes, Bas all the way. Aside from CV, technical, power, its also good cutting weight method for tournies. Sure beats treadmills and running with 3 sweatshirts on.

quote T.J.:

I believe it is 10 x 2 min rounds or 8 x 3 min rounds per workout.

The second track on the “All Around Wourkout” CD is meant for you and a partner. It starts with 2 minutes of kicking on a heavy bag, and then goes right into grappling for a few minutes. I have neve done this workout, so I can’t comment on the effectiveness.

It’s actually 7/3 min rounds. Some of my MD/NY buddies on the east coast started doing track 2 of all around W.O. last summer. Harder than just the combos and sprawls, IMO.

Oneness keeps enticing us every few months with news of version 2.0. SPEAK UP, MAN!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote La Revancha:

Yes I’m a Bas Junkie!

And how many rounds of Bas did you do yesterday 13?

la-revancha

Again, guilty as charged.

Yeah, that was for starters. There was more.

I’m hurting today, but only 1.5 lbs. over!!

stevetuna

The Bas workout sets are as good as it gets. You will not be disappointed. Plus, you’ll soon be amazing your friends with your imitations of Bas.

kvmorl

I have a question about the BAS workout. Do you need gym equipment, weights, bag ect… to do a complete workout? I was looking at crossfit and that needs Olympic weight sets.

t-j

If you do the “All Around Workout” it calls for bicep curls as an option. If you don’t have dumbells, you can do a neck exercise. He explains how to do them on the demo DVD.

For the other 3 (boxing, thai, mma) you don’t necessarily need a heavy bag. Throw the punches with speed and power and you will definetly get a workout. If you don’t have a mirror, hang up a paper plate, or something you can focus on, and throw all the punches at the target to work on accuracy so you are not flailing.

Other than that, all you will need is a towel and water. Enjoy!

t-j

On a side story…

I used to train at Bas Rutten’s Elite MMA Gym in Thousand Oaks. I came in for open gym and saw Bas was getting ready to give a private lesson to a pro fighter and his friend. I believe the pro was getting ready for an upcoming fight at the Playboy Mansion.

Bas asked if I wanted to warm up with them, and I initially declined saying I wasn’t paying fot the private and didn’t want to interfere. Bas said, “Fine, if you want to be a pussy.” *note to admins: Bas said it, I didn’t make that up*

So… I did the warm up with them. We did 3 min MMA rounds (punching kicking, and sprawls). After 2 rounds, the Pros were sucking wind and had to stop to rest. I kept going, not because I am tuff, but because I was used to the workout and i don’t ususally start dying till round 5 or 6.

Bas then explained to them that he uses the workout as a warm up to gauge their fitness level. He told them they needed to work on fitness by saying something along these lines, “Look, that guy is fat and not a pro fighter and he isn’t dying!” while pointing and winking at me.

Moral: If Bas is going to call you “Fat” in front of pro fighters, I guess that’s the most flattering way to do it.

johnl-d11

I do the 28 min workout everyday while on vacations… Just enough room in a hotel room, then follow it up with 6 rounds of the boxing/KB/fighting so its around a 45min workout.

The 1 min kicking/2min grappling is pure hell. We went through 6 rounds one night at school and we were all gasping at the end. Good times.

kvmorl

Like DS i’m looking for something to supplement in between Krav days(3). Do you think the “All around workout” is the best option? Trying to cram it in schedule for 30-40min, is that feasible with the “all around workout” or is “boxing workout” better suited?

thanks for the responses…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: