Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Hey, you guys see that basketball brawl? I thought it was interesting to watch. Seemed like the right punch was the weapon of choice. I also noticed that several people ended up on the ground and the attacker could have easily mounted them, if he hadn’t been held back. So, grappling training IS important!!!!(‘:D’) (Can’t get enough of those smileys…(‘:shock:’))

Anyway, what were your observations about that brawl? Did that come pretty close to a typical bar fight situation?

Just trying out the new forum….

clfmak

Has anyone else noticed that the bear slap and in elbow are common tools of choice in basketball fights?
    I was surprized about how much footage they got.

caliwt

Man, I have been dieing to talk abbout that on this forum, but the forum was down!!!!!

First, I think Wallace’s double throat check that started it all was awsome! Lifted Ashton right of the floor.

Second, Yes, everyone does a right cross/hook or suicide hook. Wide open centerlines!!

Third, My other favorite is when O’neal runs across floor, jumps, and hit’s the wrong guy! Hit’s him so hard that O’neal falls down too!!! This is something we cover in EBMAS, that when you hit hard, all momentum can go innto target, and thus you drop straight down due to gravity. This means when you hit you always need a stable footing. O’neal shows this exactly!! I have heard of flying kicks put flying Punch? Ha Ha 😆

In all it was sad that Ashton went into the stands. The fool who threw the ice should have been detained and banned from the arena but Aston lost his cool. Also, the guys that came down onto the court and got in Ashtons face also should have stayed in their own seats, they escalated the whole thing.

But what is up with the Fans throwing so much food and drink on everyone, that was pathatic!!

juslearnin

Well actually O’neal fell to the ground because the floor was wet. Yes he threw a hard punch but it was more cuz the ground was wet. As far as the fight went to the ground so grappling is good to know, well not really. In a mass of people like that you better get back up and most grappling does not train getting back up as much as they train getting better position on the person you are fighting. I think the brawl is a good example of why you should know how to stay on your feet.

When you are dealing with a mob mentallity you are dealing with something that is going to get out of control. People are feeding off of eachothers energy and take it too far. As much as we want to say well I would have done this or tht in the heat of the moment most people will get caught up and that is something that we need to respect. Not that it is right or wrong just that it is what it is.

anonymous

I just mentioned that grappling thing, because John had started a thread as a joke about grappling training not being important.

Sure, you want to get back up, but that’s where grappling training can be helpful. Otherwise you’re going to have some guy on top of you and won’t know how to get him off you.

I wonder if o’Neal hurt his hand when he punched that guy. They always say that hitting someone that hard could easily break or hurt your hand. But I guess he’ll have a few months to let it heal now!! 😆

Gotta go make stuffing now……………

clfmak

Basketball players use some interesting techniques in the fights I’ve seen. Ones I’ve seen in other fights:
    jumping elbows (coming down or across from shooting or defending)
    jumping slap (theoretically hitting the ball, but I’ve seen it land right on someone’s face)
    backhand elbow
    uppercut to jaw (saw this one when two players confronted each other)
    bear slap to head or neck
    haymaker
    in elbow to jaw

I think some of these come as natural reactions to someone who plays basketball a lot. For instance, in pivots and shooting, the backhand elbow becomes an obvious extension. The bear slap comes from slapping the ball, I’d say. This is just speculation, but I’d say that if you do some activity like that enough, you start to develop some instinctive habits.

You’ve never heard of the flying punch? Did you see the Achilles Flying Sword Thrust in Troy? Take away the sword, and you get a really awkward but intimidating flying punch.

caliwt

Ya, that was a sweet thrust in Troy, but he also kicked backwards with leg at same time, so I lump that one in with French Pugilism (Savate Old School).
    Mostly ment people usually kick when they do a running jump start to an attack. (In Troy he did walk into a jog, dodging spears and stuff, but I think he did it against Paris(?) without the run during a duel):D

and O,neal may have slipped in the drinks and ice, I agree with that. Watch it in the slow motion, he does loss alot of forward travel after the hit. Still makes stance and footwork seem real important.

guerriere

Re: Basketball Brawl

Hey, GK! Like my new nick?

I listened to a lot of the commentary about that & it strikes me as odd that it’s considered a serious penalty for a guy who’s got a bajillion-dollar contract to sit out half a season hanging out in his mansion for something that would put most people in prison. How come it’s not assault when an athlete pops someone? That first strike on the court ought to be considered an assault too. It’s a workplace, and in any other work place there would be charges! Where I work you’d be fired on the spot for hitting anyone, or even trying. You wouldn’t get a suspension for a first offense, either.

As for the technicalities, who has a longer reach than a basketball player? Some of my teachers have said \”if you’re short…\” and I bet most of the men in class tune out — and none of them is basketball height.

simhamukha

Basketball Brawl

Eh, I’m not so sure. It is bizarre to have something come flying out of a crowd at you in a situation like that. Really triggers a strong fight or flight response (knowledge painfully acquired as a bartender…)

I don’t think it was basketball’s finest moment, either, but basketball is different than it used to be. Someone called it their \”favorite contact sport.\” There is a certain amount of \”in your face\” attitude that you have to bring to the game (and be able to back up!) if you are going to win. It is much more physical now and these guys routinely work in all kinds of strikes and kicks in the course of normal play.

We are not expected to carry physical and mental aggression into our workplaces as these men are, so I am not sure it is a fair comparison. I think, though, that someday soon sports are going to be played in protected environments. I am amazed that all that’s happened so far is a little trash being thrown at players.

ryan

The thing is, Artest was not defending himself against the fan who threw the cup–he was in no danger, and he was acting in revenge. It’s funny that he didn’t want any part of Ben Wallace, who initially shoved him.

simhamukha

That is different from what I understood. I thought he snapped because of the debris being pitched at him and went after one of the fans who was doing that. I would have to agree, since it sounds malicious, that it was a case of assault. I guess if the prosecuting attorney’s office doesn’t bring criminal charges against Artest, the victim has the option of filing a civil lawsuit. I hope he does…

andre

He will probably file a civil suit, he was even seen hinting to it, and tried to avoid saying anthying to reporters that might hurt his case. However, he has to his record several drunk driving and assault charges.

ryan

The problem is (for Artest), the guy he attacked is not the guy who threw the cup. He made that guy a rich man.

andre

I know, I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I’ll take a black eye for a fat wallet 🙂
    The guy that actually hit him, egged him on when he jumped into the stands to go after the innocent guy, then proceeds to pummel him on the side of his face.

anonymous

Hey Guerriere/ viola player!!

Nice new name. What does it signify?? La guerra? The fearless warrior? Anyway, nice to have you back!!

In this brawl, I think the fans are also, if not more to blame, especially the guy who threw the cup. Artest had just been shoved, but chose not to fight, instead he lay down, trying to calm down, when that guy threw that cup. It hit him in the chest, but could have easily hit him in the face, in which case it could have broken his nose or injured his eye or something. So, I can see how he was getting mad. Sure, he should have controlled himself, but it’s easy for all of us to say. The bad thing is that he punched the wrong guy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: