Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Bear hugs and hair grabs?? necessary??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

I really enjoy the choke defense and find the pluck system to be brillant. However, I don’t really see the point in why the system spends so much time in teaching you dozens of defenses for B-hugs or Hair grabs. This seems silly and maybe best only suited in a women’s self defense class. The system has about 10 bear hug defenses and 4 hair grabs. Does this really need to be addressed and be such a corner stone in the middle levels.?? Most of the choke defenses are in level 1 and could easily be forgotten if not practiced but they dont seem to be in the higher levels.

Also, I think teaching you all these trivial and silly kicks at the higher levels is not very effective either. The slap kick, upper cut kick, side kick, etc… Seems that they could spend more time on more vital things. Nobody would use these kicks in a real situation and they are complicated and hard to develop. My take??
    I am not sure if I will want to move past level 2

kevinmack

Re: Bear hugs and hair grabs?? necessary??

Side kicks and back kicks are pivotal techniques for knowing how to deal with multiple attackers and are not that hard to learn.
    Bear hug defenses teach you the principles and techniques for dealing with any sort of grab and grabs/hugs/clinches happen in almost every violent encounter.
    Don;t look at the system with such a myopic view. Learn the system and its techniques as well as the principles and the reasons for them.

mara-jade

quote lions2011:

I really enjoy the choke defense and find the pluck system to be brillant. However, I don’t really see the point in why the system spends so much time in teaching you dozens of defenses for B-hugs or Hair grabs. This seems silly and maybe best only suited in a women’s self defense class. The system has about 10 bear hug defenses and 4 hair grabs. Does this really need to be addressed and be such a corner stone in the middle levels.?? Most of the choke defenses are in level 1 and could easily be forgotten if not practiced but they dont seem to be in the higher levels.

Also, I think teaching you all these trivial and silly kicks at the higher levels is not very effective either. The slap kick, upper cut kick, side kick, etc… Seems that they could spend more time on more vital things. Nobody would use these kicks in a real situation and they are complicated and hard to develop. My take??
    I am not sure if I will want to move past level 2

You’re making conclusions based on your limited time in KM. For every belt test you take, you are REQUIRED to test on the prior levels besides the one you’re testing on. For a Level 3, test you’ll be tested on all moves in 1, 2 AND 3. So saying that you don’t spend time training on what you learned before is incorrect.

As for the kicks, my understanding is other systems do use them and it would be a disservice to not expose students to them. Would you use them in a fight? I can’t say as though I’ve learned them, I haven’t used them yet. In my 7 years of KM, one thing I’ve learned is NEVER say NEVER. There have been moves I’ve wondered in the past ‘but why’ and guess what. That ‘but why’ move came out of me.

Krav teaches to do defend yourself all around your body 360 degrees. One move a student may end up using more than another. Why limit your toolbox?

Practice some more and give it time before you jump the gun.:wav:

carpecanis

Bear Hug techniques are definitely necessary. The bear hug itself isn’t the dangerous part… afterall it’s a hug. It’s what the attacker is planning to do afterwards that you have to worry about. Perhaps he’s going to pick you up and take you somewhere, or throw you down some nearby steps. Maybe he’s got some wrestling experience and is planning on slamming you onto the concrete. Could be he’s just going to hold onto you so his friend can more easily stab you in the neck. Whatever he’s planning to do, it ain’t going to be fun and you don’t want to wait around to find out what it is.

Admittedly, hair pulls are less of a problem for men with short, or non-existant hair, but someone might still grab your ear, or the hood on your jacket. Even if you’re not too worried about someone yanking on your crewcut the drills themselves help to reinforce the instincts to have an instant and aggessive response to any sort of attack.

lions2011

I guess it would be cool to know how to escape a bear hug or hair grab. Right now I need more work with choke defense lol
    I am going to move onto level2/3 in the fall. I do qualify already for a test but I Rather wait another 5 months. What is the rush I say.

unstpabl1

Your insights are so amazing and to think that you’ve come to all these conclusions in a few months just boggles the mind

Think what’ll happen if you ever start sparring:dunno:

have you ever thought about writing a book or opening a school. heck you got what 3 months or so of experience. I think you’ll do greatthumbsup

lions2011

to Unstop. I have trainnd more than 3 months . I just joined here 3 months ago on this web site. I am no means an expert but I have trainned in other martial arts as well.

Not sure what your background is but I dont really care.

Have good day.

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

to Unstop. I have trainnd more than 3 months . I just joined here 3 months ago on this web site. I am no means an expert but I have trainned in other martial arts as well.

My bad and I also forgot about that complicated bjjthumbsup I apologize for selling you short

Lions, you will find these relevant once you are in Israel especially if you have a job where you have to go across the arabic wall as part of your soldier’s duties with the IDF or on the corporate side on business for Israel then you will understand why bearhug escapes are necessary. Gilad Shalit tried his best to escape from the arabs but there were simply too many of them and he had a narrow window of opportunity to escape.

My suggestion is listen and take the lessons in from the KM instructors because they may one day save your life. You say you do not care about a martial artist’s background but you would care and wish you had paid attention in class if you were to be G-d forbid kidnapped by the arabs because you are Jewish.

Would you say the same things you are saying to Ran Nakash who is the head of the IDF military KM school ? ( or at Bahad 8 ) or even to Imi Litchenfeld or David Ben Gurion when he was forming the Israeli army ?

Think about these things because Krav Maga may one day become a very important part of your escape from the arabs if you are in Israel or even here in the U.S.A.

There are plenty of crazy arabs that will do horrible stuff to Jewish people. It may not seem real to you right now but many of our own people are suffering at the hands of the wicked arabs.

lions2011

I will learn bear hugs.. Seem like fun. I agree.

To Unstop. Not sure what your problem is… Really don’t care. I suppose your a Black belt Krav guy and MMA figther or just a big fat couch potato.

Oh and I did boxing in College. So you sold me short again. rofl2
    :box:

admin-d45
    Keymaster

Gentleman – Relax

lions2011

I agree ADmin. We are all on the same team….. :tantrum:

kevinmack

Ran Nakash hasnt been a IDF KM instructor for years now.

unstpabl1

quote lions2011:

I will learn bear hugs.. Seem like fun. I agree.

To Unstop. Not sure what your problem is… Really don’t care. I suppose your a Black belt Krav guy and MMA figther or just a big fat couch potato.

Oh and I did boxing in College. So you sold me short again. rofl2
    :box:

rofl2Old fat Muay Thai guy currently. i get your enthusiasm, but if you don’t get what my “problem” is (your word not mine) then you haven’t been reading or comprehending the responses to your posts, which could be because I told you in them what I trained in and what I didn’t;):

You’ve dismissed a lot of instructors attempt to help, then started another thread on the same or a similar theme to explain the merits of krav, the training and the quality of other students. I am not attacking you, but it implies a great deal of experience or arrogance from a white belt

I however think your very sincere and excited about training and want to be the best you can be. maybe your not aware of how your posts are coming across. The net can be a biatch to communicate on because its about preception and there can be a fine line between comining off as sincere or a know it all with limited training

Guys here are very giving of their time. On a loy of forums you get blown off till you prove your worth and earn respect. in a way thats life. we earn our reputations on a daily basis. I look forward to your future posts, because you bring a lot of enthisiasim to the board and interesting points of discussion, but as Bruce Lee said we all need to empty our cups before we can learn anything new. It is a human weakness to look for whats wrong with something, when they should be looking for whats right with it and make it work for us. Nothing is perfect

Good luck with your training

mike

If you look for whats wrong you’ll find it. if you look for whats right, you’ll improve

lions2011

OK Unstop. I dont mean to come off as Arrogant because if you meet me in real life I am extremely down to earth.
    The last 10 years I have not done any martial arts and now I have so much fire to learn and catch up on lost time. I am very impatient.
    I will try to be more open minded then.. my fault.
    Yes i am a white belt but I could test out in May but I am going to stay in level 1 until Fall I like it so much. Not to sound arrogrant but are level 1 class has many level 2 moves mixed in.
    Then its on too bear hugs and side kicks. I am 35 yrs old and I hope by age 40 I will be pretty lethal. I will be taking up Muay Thai soon and then maybe BJJ next year.
    Pretty enthusiaed for a 35 year old man. Did I mention tennis is still by best sport.
    I appreciate your insight and knowledge in the world of Krav. And my future posts will not be as dissmisive.
    Are level2/3 class has alot of ground defense too that I am looking forward too.
    Take care for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: