Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Big City Crime in a Large but Not so Big City

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dangerousdon

So, I live in Baton Rouge, LA. Years ago it had a charm that was almost irresistible. Since 2005, the crime here has sky rocketed. Our murder rate is as high as Chicago’s of which approximately 75% are gang related. Lately, the area near Louisiana State University which has almost exclusively been a student dominated area, has become a hotbed of drug activity, assaults, and rape. It’s the last topic I want to talk about.

The one thing I love about Krav Maga is that the system ingrains in you awareness of your surroundings. I have tried to practice this most of my adult life. As a veteran who has been deployed to a combat area and as a current employee of the state police (I am however, not a law enforcement officer) I have seen and I hear about things most don’t. There have been a rash of rapes in the college area here. Some are publicized and others are not. Either way it amazes me how many young women and sometimes more mature women are out jogging by themselves after dark, or walking/staggering by themselves from the clubs/bars. I try to “educate” as often as I can, but it seems that most do not heed my advice.

Anyway, this isn’t so much a question, but just someone putting my thoughts down for others to see. It is just frustrating to see people throw caution to the wind. Many of these incidents could be avoided just by simply being aware of their surroundings and thinking before they go jogging alone at eight or nine in the evening. I wish I could take all these people and make them take even just a few Krav Maga classes.

maddogmean

Re: Big City Crime in a Large but Not so Big City

I hear what you’re saying. I’m one of two guys in a department of women. I pass on all the same advice. Every time there’s a women’s self defense seminar…I send out emails about it. I tell them…”if they keep having them…I’ll keep sending these emails.” It’s a scary world for sure…and I’d hate for someone I know to be a victim. 3 hours on a Saturday morning can make a big difference.

kevinmack

The way you worded that sentence and put educate in quotes comes across very creepy as if by educate you mean jumping out and grabbing them as they run alone in the dark.

Either way it amazes me how many young women and sometimes more mature women are out jogging by themselves after dark, or walking/staggering by themselves from the clubs/bars. I try to “educate” as often as I can, but it seems that most do not heed my advice.

dangerousdon

KevinMack – Oh, no…I didn’t mean anything creepy by it. I just meant that I offer my advice when I can. Most of the time I get the young girls rolling their eyes at me. But no, I don’t jump out from dark shadows or anything.

anddrrival

Public safety and rule of law is very vital in today’s world of crime.The life is very unsecured and security is the main issue worldwide.I just think that if the licensing issues of the guns are critically solved and all illegal things are considered as the core issue then the things could get better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: