Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums brand new, western MA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hammy48

I am from western MA and have taken one class at Brian McDonald’s academy and am now taking classes at MAI in Canton, CT. I really like Krav so far! I have some Judo/wrestling background. I was wondering how many (hypothetical or real or w/e) Krav Maga trained people end up with their fight on the ground… you always here these staggering statistics about how many fights end up on the ground, and I wonder if that changes if you know Krav. Seems to me that in Krav the goal is that the person is 😛 by the time they hit the ground. I am thinking a while down the road I might take some BJJ… just wondering what you guys think of all of it. Thanks!

mara-jade

Re: brand new, western MA

Welcome Hammy!

I don’t have any stats for you but really it’s gonna depend on the situation. I’m sure in your classes you’re learning being on the ground is THE last place you wanna be.

I’ve read here people can do well in KM whether they’ve had prior martial arts experience or not. Complimenting KM with something else you can certainly do if you wantthumbsup

Best of luck in your training:wav:

hammy48

thanks! That is basically what I thought… it is hard to run from the ground… even if you are on top and have surpassed their guard (so long as they are conscious!); and striking and then running seems to be the basic principal of Krav.

mara-jade

The ground is the last place you wanna be BUT if you end up there, get the heck out of there as quickly as possible! KM does provides techniques for groundfighting, so you’re not left wondering ‘NOW WHAT’??

I’ve loved my training and I just hope I never have to use it.

hammy48

yeah, likewise. I had a hellll of a lot of fun at my first Krav lesson, and do not anticipate ever having to use it. I am going to college in a really bad part of a bad town. It is always nice to know that if something ever did happen to me or the people around me that I would be able to help.

kmky

most grappling arts will tell you that 85+% of fights end up on the ground, a study done the la police department supports this claim, but that study was about police who are detaining a suspect. you can find other studies that claim less than 33% of assaults end on the ground. they typical assault is over in less than 2 minutes (one way or the other). Coast to Coast Crime Statistics state: 10 out of 10 assaults involve a weapon(s), being outnumbered, being physically outclassed or any combination of the above.

personally, i enjoy doing bjj – but i learned early in Krav class that as soon as I would go for a submission, my instructor would have two or three more people jump in and attack me. it is very difficult to pull off an armbar when you are getting kicked in the head.

i have noticed that if the fight goes to the ground it is typically because i take it there, so in answer to your question “does this change with Krav” my experience would indicate that it does, but at the same time, i believe that it is always to your advantage to increase your skill set with bjj or muay thai.

hammy48

alright cool. That was basically what I wanted to know. yeah, duh! what criminal is going to assault a group of stronger guys by himself! I guess we prepare for reality. The only time that really happens is with thieves. They tend to be small (often drug addicts, and small and skinny because of it) and often steal from groups. Thanks again for the knowledge!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: