Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    co611

Does anyone know any good drills to use when trying to teach students how to “burst in”? There seems to always be a few who don’t understand how to go from 0-100 in 1 step….

michaelmall

Re: Bursting

Foward and back jump.first you jump on your lead foot then back on your
    rear foot .

uncleruckus

Welcome to the forum… I have a related question. During movement drills I notice my balance isn’t all there. When the instructor calls out a direction I find I have to shift my weight just a little to the opposite side to get a good plant so I can burst out in the given direction. I think my movement is fine otherwise, just that fraction of a second it takes to shift my weight bugs me because I know I can be faster. Is this normal or am I missing something?

leejam99

key is that you have to keep your weight on the balls of your feet and flow like a butterfly…sting like..well you know the rest.

keep your back heel off the ground and use that as a spring. if you have both heels on the ground, it will take that much longer for you to move because naturally you have to roll from heel to the ball of the foot in order to move.

dunc

Dear Uncle Ruckus.

I get that.

It’s all about C of G I think, especially if, like me, all the weight is above the belt.

I found getting a bit lower helped, and opening out and widening the stance slightly. Now, I can thrust in any direction with more power as I’m not overbalancing at the start of the move. (which will make your body turn down the power a bit to compensate).

Really, looking in the mirror, and making sure my upper body stayed upright (viewed from the front) and central all the time seems to be the trick.

Just like house building in an earthquake zone, the key is a strong foundation.

dunc.

more wag,
    less bark.

PS, I’m only a level 1 mind you, hope to join you soon.
    west LA.

jesse

The drills we usually have to do in class involve your partner holding a focus mitt about two arms lengths away from you. You have to burst from standing neutral position and punch it. Ryan, often uses this to get us bursting well before we work on defense against a “haymaker” or “overhead stick swing”. What I always ask my partner to do is be totally hard on me about giving away that I’m starting. The temptation that I’ve seen myself and other succumb to is to lean forwards and slowly topple until you can kick off and go. A good partner won’t let you do anything slowly once you start moving. No fancy feet, no leaning, no crouching slowly.

seeq-qc

Funny, bursting was one a few of the early techniques that i could do intuitively. I guess i kinda visualize the my left leg being on a skateboard and my right leg performing a pushing action. Hope it helps.

dkatman

quote seeq_QC:

Funny, bursting was one a few of the early techniques that i could do intuitively. I guess i kinda visualize the my left leg being on a skateboard and my right leg performing a pushing action. Hope it helps.

I am with you on this. But I often find I need to make sure I bring that back leg with me. I think I also equate it to the skateboard kick and have to remember to explosively keep that foot with me so I am not left in a long stride instead of a complete burst.

Dave

seeq-qc

Thanks for completing the thought! thumbsup

quote DKatman:

I am with you on this. But I often find I need to make sure I bring that back leg with me. I think I also equate it to the skateboard kick and have to remember to explosively keep that foot with me so I am not left in a long stride instead of a complete burst.

Dave

One way, I like to use, to help eliminate or at least lessen any telegraphing of the burst is to practice from neutral stance. In it’s essence, as has already been mentioned, bursting is for those moments when you must go from 0 -100 instantly. No one is more at 0 than when in between steps – one of the basic principles for the use of training from neutral stance with any technique. Plus, speed is predicated on opposing muscle groups learning to flex/relax as needed. Just like in a punch if the bicep flexes (even a little too much) while the punch goes out, it fights the tricep which results in a slower punch extension. The reveres goes for recoil of the punch, too much tricep gets in the way of the bicep doing it’s job to the fullest. So, it took all that to say this – sorry, being neutral stance makes it easier to be fully relxed at the beginning of the burst. Not to mention it’s much more likley to be the case in real life.

CC

tko99

quote Cottonwood-Combat:

One way, I like to use, to help eliminate or at least lessen any telegraphing of the burst is to practice from neutral stance. In it’s essence, as has already been mentioned, bursting is for those moments when you must go from 0 -100 instantly. No one is more at 0 than when in between steps – one of the basic principles for the use of training from neutral stance with any technique. Plus, speed is predicated on opposing muscle groups learning to flex/relax as needed. Just like in a punch if the bicep flexes (even a little too much) while the punch goes out, it fights the tricep which results in a slower punch extension. The reveres goes for recoil of the punch, too much tricep gets in the way of the bicep doing it’s job to the fullest. So, it took all that to say this – sorry, being neutral stance makes it easier to be fully relxed at the beginning of the burst. Not to mention it’s much more likley to be the case in real life.

CC

I am having trouble with the advancing straight punch as part of the gun defense from the front. I can burst laterally and such… but right now my problem is that I am hopping as I advance with the straight punch. Don’t know why I’m doing that. I used to be able to do the advancing straight punch right from a neutral stance. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I feel like a pitcher who developed a bad habit and need a minor adjustment to correct that bad habit but I can’t pinpoint the bad habit/bad mechanics 🙁

Thanks in advance!!

quote TKO99:

I am having trouble with the advancing straight punch as part of the gun defense from the front. I can burst laterally and such… but right now my problem is that I am hopping as I advance with the straight punch. Don’t know why I’m doing that. I used to be able to do the advancing straight punch right from a neutral stance. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I feel like a pitcher who developed a bad habit and need a minor adjustment to correct that bad habit but I can’t pinpoint the bad habit/bad mechanics 🙁

Thanks in advance!!

Hi TKO,

I wish I could help you, but in our Krav Maga we train specifically to concern ourselves with collateral damage, using our techniques while exhausted, while wearing a heavy pack, and so on…. We don’t use the the old methods of grabbing the firearm while using the straight punch. Itay began developing what we do while he was the lead tactics instructor to the Israeli Border Police Hostage Rescue Unit (YAMAM). So the above concerns were integral. It would not look good if the hostage rescue team used tactics which led to a hostage being shot because they got muzzled during a disarm. He was LOCHEM for 20 years and took on the additional responsibility of lead tactics instructor after about 3 years. Soon after this he convinced his commander they needed to revise “everything” they were doing. After seeing his ideas, they adopted them. He still serves the IDF as a tactics trainer to several special operations units and as an advisor on high priority missions.

Itay prefers to stick more closely to the principle of going from defense to offense as quickly as possible. Since Imi initiated that principle, many have modified it to sound identical to JKD and insist in those being simultaneous. This is preferable in some circumstances, but not all. Where a firearm is concerned, Itay (and Moshe Katz) teach(es) to first put a barrier between the attacker and his ability to regain the ability to control the firearm. My mindset on the matter, is there is no better change from defense to offense than taking the firearm in the most efficient and effective manner and reducing the liklihood of their ability to counter it. All the while keeping those around me from being muzzled by the weapon and the other reasons I mentioned above. For these reasons, and many others, I prefer Itay’s methods.

For instance, when in the police academy many years ago, I learned methods of regaining the line of fire against a “bad guy” who manages to get a hand on my weapon. If police know how to do this, you can count on bad guys knowing it too. With Itay’s method it is much more difficult to do this because you use your body as the barrier to control the weapon. It makes it nearly impossible to regain control of the weapon and you can then use your entire body to effect the disarm instead of just your hand against his. I hope this makes sense.

We use bursting on knife attacks only.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.:dunno:

A couple links to videos showing what I mean:

Link 1 Link 2

Bew ell,
    CC

jstrauss

Which leads me again to the unanswered question I posted a few days back on another thread: how are the techniques KMWW uses updated, and who is the technique committee that discusses them?

quote jstrauss:

Which leads me again to the unanswered question I posted a few days back on another thread: how are the techniques KMWW uses updated, and who is the technique committee that discusses them?

Sorry, I can’t help. I don’t know anything about the inner workings of KMWW passed 1999-2000. I just haven’t followed them. I used to have lots of friends involved with them, now I have one or two good acquaintances with them but that’s all.

I’d PM Ryan Hoover. Good guy, knowledgeable and willing to answer reasonable questions.

CC

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote jstrauss:

I don’t believe theres any members here on the forums, I could guess but I’m not certain.
    JS your in Sherman Oaks, just walk up to Jarret Waldman and ask him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: