Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    phlegmon27

Re: Bursting

quote seeq_QC:

Funny, bursting was one a few of the early techniques that i could do intuitively. I guess i kinda visualize the my left leg being on a skateboard and my right leg performing a pushing action. Hope it helps.

thumbsup

I like the skateboard thing.

I find it helpful if I go off someone blowing a whistle, instead of on my own. My students seem to do better as well. If you determine the timing yourself the tendency is to lean, anticipate, etc. I try to relax, breathe, leave the room, and just GO when the whistle blows. Eventualy the leaning and anticipation gets drilled out of you.

brentw

To the last of my knowledge the technique review board consisted of
    Darren, Pascal, Bluestein, Kelly, Waldman, Margolin, Matt Rommond, Junior Merkle (I know I’m missing a few here) and they were meeting monthly going over every single technique with teaching methods.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

+ Sam and Amir. I don’t know that Amir is officially on it but I do remember working with Darren and having him say “I was speaking to Amir about this technique’

ryan

Not sure why it matters, but…

Darren
    Michael
    Jon
    Kelly
    Dave
    Howard
    Sam
    Marcus
    Junior
    Jarret
    Jarrett
    Matt

jstrauss

I guess who’s on the committee doesn’t really matter. What honestly matters to me more than who’s on the committee is whether or not the committee is discussing current techniques. I train at KMWW Sherman Oaks, and, of course, I respect every single instructor there and I know they’re worth their weight. I’m just concerned about keeping the learning current, as was mentioned with the gun defense earlier.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote jstrauss:

I guess who’s on the committee doesn’t really matter. What honestly matters to me more than who’s on the committee is whether or not the committee is discussing current techniques. I train at KMWW Sherman Oaks, and, of course, I respect every single instructor there and I know they’re worth their weight. I’m just concerned about keeping the learning current, as was mentioned with the gun defense earlier.

Thank you for voicing your concern but I guess maybe Iím a little confused and donít understand what your concern actually is regarding learning ìcurrentî techniques?

Maybe start a new topic thread and we all can discuss it more in depth?

ryan

Amir and Mitch, too.

kirsten

If your lucky enough to train at SO, I would do what CJ’sDad said and talk to Jarret W. about it. He is approachable and can help you maybe better than we can explain on the forums. I can tell you from where I stand, on the law enforcement side- KMW’s techniques are relative to threats and attacks that we see today. Hope that helps.

tomtrauma

Jumping in this instead of starting another all too similar thread…

Trying to work on my burst. Seems like an explosive movement of both quads and calves, so would heave squats, lunges and calf raises with emphasis on explosive positives be the way to increase my speed?

Thanks for any input,
    T.

coda-vex

In my humble opinion; If your already incorporating some sort of lower body exercises keep going with it but I don’t know that starting some specialized workout for bursting is necessary. In crossfit we do a lot of squats, lunges and deadlifts which develops explosive power to a degree.

Moreover I’d say if you want to work on your bursting then… work on your bursting.

leejam99

just because its new or “current” doesn’t make it better. if it aint broke…

quote leejam99:

just because its new or “current” doesn’t make it better. if it aint broke…

Hi all, I know this is an older thread and the comment I have quoted here wasn’t exactly put here yesterday, but I felt compelled to offer a bit of an apology.

In my saying “old Krav” methods (my first reply to this thread) I in no way meant those methods were invalid. I was honestly just putting the concepts into chronilogical order. One is older than the other. So if the way I worded that came across as insulting, please forgive that.

As Itay put it when he explained it to me, and I have heard Moshe repeat many times, “good lochem (fighters/operators) lost their lives using ‘that’ method and so we had to change it”.

Just because it failed those circumstances does not mean it would fail all. However, when the Israeli gov’t puts over $1 million (US equivelant) into training a single operator and nearly as much each year keeping ’em up to speed, a single failure in the field which results in a loss, means the technique needs replaced.

Train hard – Live well.

CC

kirsten

Here in the US, it has saved countless lives in LE (if we are still talking about the same technique)… I suppose we need to look at more than just the techniques, but also the enviroment in which they are to be used.

quote Kirsten:

Here in the US, it has saved countless lives in LE (if we are still talking about the same technique)… I suppose we need to look at more than just the techniques, but also the enviroment in which they are to be used.

Agreed.

The cases to which I referred were a combination of collateral damage caused by the redirection of the gun upon it’s being grabbed by either 1) flinch reaction causing it to be fired (sometimes hitting lochem, sometimes hostage, sometimes innocent bystander, etc.) or 2) the “bad guy” pulling the gun right out of the “defender’s” hand by stepping back and yanking really hard. A person’s single hand against the momentum and strength of an alert or determined attacker just isn’t always enough especially when adding the force of being hit by the “defender” which tends to add to the “bad guy’s” backward momentum. Then the attacker just unloaded the weapon at anyone that could be shot.

Krav Maga is such a diverse system; since it is based on principle and not techniques alone. There is something good with most of the variations. Even those which really should not be called Krav Maga, because they do not adhere to any of the principles, have some good in them.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: