Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Calories per KM session

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    farhan

I tried searching for this before I created a new thread.

I am curious if any one has ideas about how many calories are burned during a normal KM session?

magamike

Re: Calories per KM session

Excellent question! I have been trying to guesstimate that as well so I can adjust my calorie intake properly.

I found this link – check out boxing and aerobics listings:

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Looks like about 500 calories on average per hour for KM would probably be a good rule of thumb.

There are some activities that I know very well on this list and this seems to be a pretty good estimate for those. I think most people vastly overestimate how many calories they burn when exercising – especially moderate exercisers.

farhan

Good find. That was my exact issue. I didn’t want to guestimate and then base my calorie intake based on that guesstimation. According to this it would be around 863 calories for a 190 Lbs in the category of ‘Judo, karate, kick boxing, tae kwan do

zen4me

quote Farhan:

Good find. That was my exact issue. I didn’t want to guestimate and then base my calorie intake based on that guesstimation.

Unfortunately it is going to be a lot of guess work. Those calculations don’t take into account irregular conditions, body type, sweat rate (people sweat differently), etc. For instance, two people with the same (or close to same) height/weight/build, doing the exact same amount of work at the exact same rate will burn calories at a differently because of their body’s efficiency and other conditions too numerous to name (i.e., overall health, rate of metabolism, etc.)

The only way to figure out how much you sweat would be to weigh yourself pre-workout, strictly limit the amount of fluid you intake during the workout, and then weigh yourself again post-workout. To get a good baseline idea this calculation would need to be repeated several times with the same exact environmental conditions present each time followed up by doing the same exact workout each time. Much easier to do indoors than out at least.

Personally, I’ve always been curious about mapping my heart rate during a Krav class but don’t find the thought of taking punches/kicks/etc. to the chest while wearing a HRM appealing. I need to try and remember to put the HRM strap on while I’m doing Bas next time tho.

– Kelly

mauger68

I have wore a heart rate monitor during training before. I am 200-210 pounds and averaged about 700-800 calories per hour, depending on what we were doing that class.

lk

Couple of times I had my HRT on me during the class. My average was around 500 Cal per hour. Classes when I had it on were not very cardio intensive, we were working on ground fighting. It was a pain to keep chest strap and HRT in place. Sliding strap can contribute to measurement deviations.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: