Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Can’t get pass the white belt level and now I can’t sleep

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: Can’t get pass the white belt level and now I can’t sleep

If I were in NY and I had the time and $$, I would have Marcelo Garcia, the Atienza brothers, and Nick Sacoulas, etal on my must train with list… 🙂

clearcombat1

quote MadDogMean:

When I started KM, I was out of shape and very little MA experience (middle school TKD). It took me about a year to pass level 1 and about a year or more for each level after that. I saw plenty of folks pass me up. After I felt ready, I took the test. It was never about the level, but being confident in my technique. I’ve been sitting at my current level for a few years now. I don’t feel ready for the test yet.

I thought briefly about trying out other MA’s, but ultimately stayed in KM. KM by design is easier to learn, retain, and execute than other traditional MA’s. I felt that I would get the most out of spending my time and money in KM than MMA or BJJ.

You seem determined to succeed in KM. Put in the training and you’ll be fine.

Krav is good, but to really test yourself, you might want to get into beginner MMA. This is a little more advanced and will make you a better fighter a lot faster. The impact conditioning alone will improve 10 fold. Even if you get hit it wont bother you until maybe the next day.

crash20

Ok here is an update to my journey from white to yellow belt. After the massive failure of my first workshop, where they tell you, you can go on to test or not several things happened. One they changed some of the procedures so that the workshop was easier to get into and took place more frequently. Second I kept going to classes and did my best to ignore everyone as one white belt after another passed into the hard to reach yellow belt zone and I became known as the veteran white belt. Also now to take the workshop you have to be recommended by an instructor. So everytime someone asks when I will take the workshop including the instructors I said I am not ready. Not too long ago an instructor recommended me. One day I started feeling a little confidante and asked to sign up for a workshop. Don’t get too excited the results from the workshop were that he felt that I was close but there were a few things he thinks we still need to work on but maybe by the next testing I maybe ready. So at last some progress. In my head the problems are. One the head lock from the side. It is a move I can do sometimes with certain people but not all people. I have trouble with three people imparticular two are very tall and large and then tend to go limp and down as soon as my finger is in place across their nose and they go down before I have time to take the last step and put them down between my legs. The third person is small and wiry and all over the place and is down almost before I’m near her. The response I get is always that is on you, you don’t have control, which I get because clearly I don’t. The next one is the shoulder pull from the rear, as I turn to punch I fall off balance. I can’t seem to turn into a wide enough stance to keep my balance and do the strike. The third is basically the same the choke from the rear with a push after I cross over and turn around to face the attacker One I am off balance and two my feet are not facing fully the attacker and three I am not line up to his center properly in order to deliver the final hammer strike. There are other problems of course but those are the main ones from what I can tell. Any help as always is appreciated.

cinnamongirl

Headlock from the side is a funny one for me too. Sometimes, I can get it right on and my attacker is on the ground, and sometimes it doesn’t go as planned. When that happens, we’re told to keep going with the attack – which usually means to keep hitting to the groin until you can get your hand in position to crank the head back. For choke from the rear I found that making sure to step on an angle when I’m turning around helped my feet land in the right spot – not sure if that makes sense – it’s hard to describe without showing you. For those techniques, see if you can have an instructor watch you do it, they should be able to see where you are going wrong and help you out.

Keep working Crash – you’re almost there!

kmky

quite often the result is not getting the elbow “locked” down on the back of the hand crossing the face – the result is your force moves backwards instead of down when defending the headlock. if they fall before you can deliver the hammerfist, then kick them, drop a knee into their ribs, just like cinnamongirl said “keep attacking”. check out john whitman’s demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ETZjUAmJY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jG3iI7Y2k

not moving the feet when defending choke from behind with a push is a common problem. again, john whitman’s demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_8cykdDZqA

good luck with your training

quote Crash20:

Ok here is an update to my journey from white to yellow belt. After the massive failure of my first workshop, where they tell you, you can go on to test or not several things happened. One they changed some of the procedures so that the workshop was easier to get into and took place more frequently. Second I kept going to classes and did my best to ignore everyone as one white belt after another passed into the hard to reach yellow belt zone and I became known as the veteran white belt. Also now to take the workshop you have to be recommended by an instructor. So everytime someone asks when I will take the workshop including the instructors I said I am not ready. Not too long ago an instructor recommended me. One day I started feeling a little confidante and asked to sign up for a workshop. Don’t get too excited the results from the workshop were that he felt that I was close but there were a few things he thinks we still need to work on but maybe by the next testing I maybe ready. So at last some progress. In my head the problems are. One the head lock from the side. It is a move I can do sometimes with certain people but not all people. I have trouble with three people imparticular two are very tall and large and then tend to go limp and down as soon as my finger is in place across their nose and they go down before I have time to take the last step and put them down between my legs. The third person is small and wiry and all over the place and is down almost before I’m near her. The response I get is always that is on you, you don’t have control, which I get because clearly I don’t. The next one is the shoulder pull from the rear, as I turn to punch I fall off balance. I can’t seem to turn into a wide enough stance to keep my balance and do the strike. The third is basically the same the choke from the rear with a push after I cross over and turn around to face the attacker One I am off balance and two my feet are not facing fully the attacker and three I am not line up to his center properly in order to deliver the final hammer strike. There are other problems of course but those are the main ones from what I can tell. Any help as always is appreciated.
    crash20

Thanks cinnamongirl and KMKY both, responses and videos were both helpful. It does seem to me that for the headlock from the side my problem is getting in tight or close enough so that when I have them they remain under my control and locking down the elbow. I’m still not sure if the elbow should be down to his back or down to my side or a bit of both. Also the youtube demo from KMKY mentions another problem. it in fact sounds like he is going to give an answer but then it gets cut off. That is when I bring they attacker down occasionally I go with him. So the next question for this one is how to keep my balance as he goes down in order to deliver the next strike which for us is a foot stomp to the face. The choke from the rear with a push I am for sure stepping at an angle as I am pushed forward. The questions are is it too much or too little of an angle and watching it I am now wondering if the foot I crossed over should be turning at the same time somehow. In fact I think that is it. We stand in neutral we are pushed forward we cross over our left leg to the right at a 45 degree angle, left hand protects the face right hand goes across the top of the head with no space and turning all the way around pass his hold and then when lined up deliver the hammer strike. However when I do it I just realized that my left leg that is crossed over is the only leg turning. So maybe you are suppose to turn the right foot somehow at the same time, maybe in fact rather than a pivot an actual pick it up and take a step. The last one is the shoulder pull from the rear. I have not found a video for it but as I am turned around with the shoulder pull I lose balance. Any ideas on that one? Thanks guys it is hard to ask these questions in class all the time. So many people have questions and we are all running around trying to get a roll in or a few min with the punching bag or whatever, it helps to have somewhere to ask these questions.

crash20

It is done my friends the yellow belt quest is over. I tested this afternoon and it went well enough. I am a yellow belt. Thanks for all of your help.

cinnamongirl

Congrats Crash! :woohoo:

oldkmdude

Congrats, Crash! Every test I’ve taken (5 so far), I tell myself – “there’s no way I can get through another one of these.” And then I do. And you will, too. Keep training hard.

magpie

Hooray! Way to go, Crash! We all knew you could do it! Welcome to L2!:beer:

crash20

Thanks for the congrats everyone it is two days after the test and I’m still floating. I’m trying to enjoy it because the way my brain works I am already starting to freak out over the next stuff, you know what classes do I take how far behind the other yellow belts that I started with will I be. How am I going to find the money for the pads the gloves and so on. In fact I start over time again this week in the hopes that I will make up some of the money. How do I deal with the previously injured leg and my disorder that I mentioned in another thread. Right now I’m trying to remember how to tie the belt. They explained it in the ceremony but I was in my head going over and over again hey you did it you passed. So anyone know of a good video that shows the correct way to tie a krav maga belt properly.

kmky

we don’t use belts at my school but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGtVHKJIfa8 has a step by step for a traditional belt.

also, quit comparing your progress to your classmates’ progress. everyone learns at different speeds, just ask yourself if you know more than you did before.

and also, congratulations.

magpie

We don’t use belts either, so I’m of no help there.

And yes, don’t worry about where you are in comparison to others. I used to do that, and all it did was stress me out and leave me feeling discouraged when I felt like I hadn’t done my best in class. There are people at my KM school who took the L1 test with me, and have already made it to L3 because they can go to more classes per week than I can.

I currently have 50 out of the magic 60 classes under my belt, but actually plan to wait to test for L3 until I have 75 or 80, because I want to be more confident with my techniques. By that timeline, I will have spent a year at L2, but I decided that was OK after one of my instructors said that HE spent a year at L2.

I’ve also decided that my whole KM journey is like a marathon I ran 10 years ago. It took me a little over 5 hours and plenty of people passed me up…but eventually I got to the finish line. 🙂

As for the gear, I got (new) stuff on Amazon and ebay for pretty good prices. Title Boxing also has a lot of online discounts. The great thing is that once you buy the gear, you’re pretty much set for L2 and L3.

Congrats again, Crash…and just take the journey a step at a time.

crash20

Thanks everyone can’t tell you how important the support I get here has been. My school is becoming more and more supportive as we all become more comfortable with each other. I have not cracked my way into their forum yet, so far most of the things I post there get no responses, unlike here. So you are all so right about the comparison thing. I took my first yellow belt and up class the other night. It is a pad work class. This is perfect for me since I have no experience in punching and kicking outside of the classes and since I have a condition that suggest I not take repeated blows to the head. They started it about two weeks before my yellow belt test and actually spoke to me about it before hand. It was great so hard I was afraid I might pass out. I usually get leg cramps at night between the classes my job working in a nursing home and walking and running for trains for my hour and 15 min commute to work everyday. This has been under control lately with lots of water stretching and Magnesium supplements. However during this class that involved endless kicking I started to cramp up. This was wednesday and I am still sore now. At any rate the guy I was training with is one of those people that just eased his way through to yellow belt. Don’t get me wrong he deserved it, he is good every kick nearly knocked me over and I am twice his size, but he got a lot of corrections, it was then I heard you guys and realized we are just all on our on paths with this stuff and I really have to keep myself focused on my own journey. So that is an end to my usual wall of text as someone referred to one of my posts the other day. Here now is my wall of questions, I need to buy more Gi pants. The school has their own and prefer us to buy from them but the are 60 dollars and I use them often enough that I don’t have time to hang dry them and they shrink. I noticed that they have patches so I am thinking of buying a few and putting on a patch. Anyone know of a good place and by that I mean affordable place to buy Gi Pants.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: