Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Carry-On Self Defense Accessories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    dom

Hey everyone,

First off, although this is my first post, I’ve been an avid reader of this forum for some time now.

As I am not a native English speaker, please forgive me any grammar/spelling mistakes.. 😉

Now as to my question: What kind of self defense accessories do you carry with you on a daily basis?

NB: I’m not a big fan of guns and knives mainly because of the legal impact their use may have and the restrictive laws here in Switzerland.

I’ve noticed that my krav instructor has a kubotan on his key chain. Any positive/negative experiences concerning these?

Any suggestions and/or personal experiences on self defense products you’d like to share? 😉

Greetings,
    dom

nick1911

Re: Carry-On Self Defense Accessories

It probably won’t be of much help to you, but personally, I carry a P3AT where I am legally able to. As I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm in public, this goes with me many places.

The military uses firearms because they are the end result of centuries of refining devices to stop the enemy in combat. As I believe self-defense situations are but a micro-chasm of war, I choose the same tools for the same reasons.

That said, it’s only a tool, with it’s own advantages and limitations. I think that often, the distances required to give you time to deploy such a weapon aren’t present in a self-defense situation. So, you switch to a closer range tool, like a #1 elbow or a groin kick. 🙂 For some interesting reading on that, check out the Tueller drill.

The most important tool you have though, is the one between your ears. Use it wisely. In my opinion, a fight avoided is a fight won.

dom

Thanks for your input, Nick, it’s highly appreciated.

However, being a civilian here in Switzerland it’s nearly impossible to get a permission to carry a firearm. And I’m also not too sure whether I would actually want to carry one with me.

Neither is a pepper spray what I am looking for.

That’s why the kubotan sprung to my mind when I was thinking of a carry-on accessory.

mara-jade

Can you get this? Not too big, easy to carry, can be blinding

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

rx8guy

Car keys work just fine as a self defense weapon. I carry them with me everywhere. But i prefer my fists elbows and knees.

djh70

I like Mara Jada’s suggestion, but if you can I would upgrade to the surefire E2D defender model. Like she said it can be blinding when shown into an attacker’s eyes and the front bezel is crenellated to do a little extra damage. Lights are always good to have and this one is fairly small.

kivalo

I was looking at these ( http://www.crkt.com/Elishewitz-Tao-Pen—Aluminum) recently, and was attracted to the concept for a number of reasons. First of all, deployment of a pen would be quick and easy if it were clipped on your pants pocket or shirt pocket. Strikes would be quick and effortless (hammerfists come to mind as well as quick jabs with the butt of the pen). Also, as much damage as you could do with a tool such as this, an attacker would not be visibly injured to an extent of which could get you in hot water with the law (i.e. you wouldn’t have chopped them to bits or shot em’ up). Don’t get me wrong, I love my knives, (I have a little collection budding) and I trust CRKT as a company as well. However, I would feel more comfortable using the blunt Tao pen as opposed to slicey-dicing an opponent : )
    Lastly, weapons and other items to be used as such are great when you need an edge in a defense situation – but in my personal opinion, knuckles and shins and elbows are more satisfying to methodologically pick an attacker apart with thumbsup

stevem174

I carry a “neck massage tool.” It’s a wooden rod with hard rubber caps on each end. It’s a similar size to a kuboton. I also always carry a ink pen with me.

I am always looking for improvised weapons of opportunity. I also carry other tools that you have already ruled out.

erile

You use your car keys for self defense?? never heard of that.. sounds interesting because i almost always have them with me.. Do you have some more information on this?

Using knees and elbows is only useful when you got a a lot of experience because its very easy to hurt yourself a lot in my opinion…

kirsten

Bic disposable pen.

don

quote Kirsten:

Bic disposable pen.

With the lettering/embossing filed off… ;):

paco

[quote=erile;51459]You use your car keys for self defense?? never heard of that.. sounds interesting because i almost always have them with me.. Do you have some more information on this? quote]

Check out the episode of Fight Science that deals with the human weapon, they cover using improvised weapons.

This one, or maybe this one, I dind’t have time to rewatch both videos to see which one.

Combat walking cane

I’d say a good, thick and heavy pen would be good, as well as any kind of blunt object like a Surefire. I have their G2Z and 6P Classic that would fit nicely as a blinder and a hitting tool. Some bright light goes a long way in the dark. I don’t know the availability or legality, but a Tazer C2 might be of use as well. I generally carry an FNP40 or 1911A1, but when they would be impractical or illegal to carry I run with the C2.
    Kivalo, thanks for posting the CRKT pen. I am a fan of CRKT for their M16 series, and I’m sure their pen is a good buy. When I’ve got 70 bucks to kill I may give it a try.

revobuzz

In the UK you have to be very careful what you carry.

The way our law is written means that ANY object carried with the intention of using it as a weapon is illegal. People have got in trouble for carrying kubotans here.

I carry a United Cutlery pen. It looks less like a weapon than the other defense pens that you can get.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: