Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Choke with a push, page 69

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Okay, let’s have some technique questions about the book:

One quick question about the choke with a push from behind as shown on page 68 and 69:

I remember we used to do – or at least allow for – a quick hammerfist to the attacker’s face during the turn, before the elbow would be coming down to clear the hands. It’s not mentioned here. Is this still done as a possible alternative, or has it been scrapped (because of the danger of not clearing the attacker’s hands completely if the arm is coming down slightly for the hammerfist)? Personally, I never much liked it, because I felt it might compromise my defense, but I remember it being done well by some (Amir used to do it, I think).

canaan

Indeed, this technique is different from that which I teach.

Here what I teach in my school.

Photograph 1 and 2: OK

During rotation, I use a a hammerfist with my left arm (in the attacker’s face).

And my left leg is in front of my right leg (I don’t step back and I don’t pin hands). I am finally in a position of guard (right handed) where I can continue to connect the attacks.

Giant Killer, I think this technic is good. It’s only a good variation where the defender prefer to step back so that he could have a better balance.

johnwhitman

Nice question and observation!

We chose not to show the hammerfist for exactly the reason Giantkiller states. For beginners, the hammerfist often interferes with their ability to make a clean defense. However, once you have trained for a while, you should feel free to add the hammerfist if you like.

As for the step: we generally teach it with the step first, assuming that the push is very strong. Then we tell students that if their balance is good they don’t need to step. However, I would rather have them train first against a strong push where they need to step and establish balance.

canaan

Thank you for this answer.

Is what to seize the hands is essential? I notice that you make the same thing during \”choke from te front with a push\”.

johnwhitman

It isn’t important to catch the hands.

From our perspective:

In the push from behind we do it because the defending arm must come down anyway, so why not try to trap his hands? If it fails, we are already making counterattacks anyway, so there is no problem.

In the push from the front, the important part is to bring your elbow down so that his arms do not interfere with counterattacks. If you can actually trap his arms, good! But again, the counterattacks are far more important than trapping his arms.

giant-killer

So, for choke with a push from the front it wouldn’t be considered incorrect not to trap the hands? I remember we used to do this in steps and after the hands had been cleared, the right elbow came down and the left hand came up to trap, simultaneously, then the counters followed (the way it is shown in the book). Is that no longer a required part of the technique (basically optional)?

As for the hammerfist, I guess the pro would be a quicker counter, but the con would be the possibility of going for it before the hands have been cleared and losing the defense. I guess your timing would have to be good to make it work, but if you can do it, it’s not a bad counter, because you also have the momentum of the spin. Amir could do it really well.

johnwhitman

From the front, you should definitely try…again, the goal of the downward elbow is to clear his arms so you can counter more effectively. Clearing the arms down and trapping them go hand in hand (pardon the pun), so why not try?

From behind, I never teach it at the beginning. I tend to do it myself if it \”feels\” right, but I don’t emphasize it. I think the overhand right and/or the knee that follow will be much stronger.

giant-killer

I was also thinking a bit from a belt test point of view. If someone didn’t trap the arms during their test, would it be considered incorrect and would he not pass as a result? I think that’s the way it used to be, way, way back.

psyops

If the attacker really commits and the defender properly executes the spin the attacker will be lost and there are an assortment of follow ups that can be used.

johnwhitman

Agreed.
    The defender cannot dictate the speed and strength of the attacker’s attack. If he commits with so much momentum that he flies by you, we wouldn’t penalize the defender for that. We WOULD look for the defender to find appropriate counterattacks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: