Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    keeiii

Did Imi Lichtenfeld make Darren Levine sign a contract to learn Krav Maga?

I for one want nothing I don’t pay for. I did not take the free classes that were offered. If a school is short money they should try a bank loan, like any business. I believe the school and their students should invest in themselves, not people who for whatever reason decide to quit. Think like a Mentsh not a Chazer. Some think business is different. I donít. Everyone knows there is a line for right and wrong. In my opinion contracts are wrong. Is it really professionalism to make people pay for what they are not using.
    Or is it just legal?

guerriere

Well, I’m a musician, and I know that a lot of music teachers do this too. It’s just self-defense of the financial variety. If your teacher, whose time and skills are valuable, sets time aside for you, you should pay them whether you show up or not. They can’t get that time back, and they could have spent that time with another student who would pay them. Someone chooses their profession because they love it, but they also have to pay bills just like anybody else. Imi probably didn’t have to worry about bills anymore by the time he started teaching Darren, but I wouldn’t fault him for making him sign a contract, either.

I’ve tried to negotiate with brides who think my quartet should play for next to nothing at their dumbass wedding for a bunch of strangers because we \”love music.\” They don’t give the same crap to their seamstress, baker, or florist, but for some reason music is supposed to be free. ARGH! Once you’ve been treated that way, you’re more likely to look at a demand for a contract from the business person’s point of view. You’re not likely to change my mind, but I’ll play for your wedding…. for the right price!

wim

Re:

quote \”chguise\:

Unfortunately, that teaches the child that if it gets too hard they get to quit. My son has been in Karate for over two years now. There were times when he wanted to quit. He didn’t want to test in front of everyone, he didn’t like that mom was now teaching his classes. He’s testing for his blue belt this week.

The same whim that makes them join makes them quit. Children should know from a young age that life is about commiments. Quiting in cases of injury, or sudden time constraints, problems with school work, moving are all reasonable reasons to have to leave a program.

But just because a child doesn’t feel like it anymore doesn’t mean they should be alowed to quit. That’s just too easy.

And most schools offer a month try out before they require a sign up. If they don’t ask for one.

chris

(Quoting because it’s so far back)

Actually, you’re applying your problem to my argument. I never said anything about quitting because it was too hard. I’d never let my children quit anything because they felt it was too hard. However, I think extracurricular activites should ultimately be fun, and if my child’s not having fun learning martial arts who am I, and who is the instructor, to push him to do it anyways? I mean there’s just a huge difference between school, chores, and fun stuff. School and chores aren’t negotiable, but to me, martial arts shoudl fall in the \”fun stuff\” category. So, if It’s not actually fun, then what’s the point? I certainly don’t want to be pushed into doing anything that I don’t want to do. A one month trial would help, but the first month is usually quite easy to get through. It’s the fourth, fifth, sixth and so on that get tough for a kid to stay interested in.

keeiii

Wim
    This is the way I did it with my 3 kids. If they had homework or they were sick they did not have to go. Maybe an important party ok too. I would beg them to go. Then watch there faces and I would see if they were actually having a good time. They always did. We have always been fortunate to have great instructors. Who cared about my kids. It never seemed like it was just for the money. Class was always hard and fun. After class I would just ask if they had a good time and they would always tell me yes, with a smile. If they said no a couple of times, and wanted to quit, I would let them quit. Regardless of a contract. I do not believe in torturing my kids. I love them too much, and I want them happy.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: