Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Colorado Krav Maga Promo Video

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    admin-d45
    Keymaster
    guerriere

Re: Colorado Krav Maga Promo Video

I like the emphasis on the body’s reaction to fear. Showing weapons defenses when you don’t actually learn them for over a year is a little bit of an oversell though. OTOH how many people were inspired by stuff Bruce Lee did in the movies then had to spend years getting to that point (if ever).

bradm

Why should you have to wait for over a year to learn weapons defenses? I think the chances of getting attached with a knife or gun is just as common as getting attached with a choke – maybe more so in this day and age.

giant-killer

I suppose it’s because they are building up to it. You would use similar blocks for defending a hook punch or a knife attack for example, so you learn to train for the simpler attack first.

Makes sense, but, I agree, for those who are primarily interested in SD, it might be worth considering introducing weapons defenses earlier, in special weapons classes that everyone could attend and that solely focus on technique and scenario drills. I think a lot of people would like those.

jamesh-d30

Regarding the video; Credit where credit is due, we actually liked Jerrets promo video so much we built on that idea! Thanks Jerret!

About weapons defenses: you can learn Krav Maga Weapons Defenses as soon as you start training in Krav Maga! If you begin training at one of our schools today, and there is a handgun defense seminar tomorrow, you’re in! To be honest, you may not be very good at the ENTIRE defense right away, especially if you don’t have any striking experience, but you can learn the techniques and drill them under stress right away.
    Bottom line Guerriere, speaking for ourselves, we don’t over sell anything. What you see is what you get. I can’t tell you how many times i’ve stayed after a level 1 class to work with someone i just met in class on an advanced technique because it’s what they fear the most, it’s why they joined KM, or it’s how they were attacked in the past.
    We don’t want anyone to have a false sense of security about thier ability in high risk threats, but it would be immoral to withold the information IMHO. If they really want/need it now, we give it, with a warning about the risk and the need to practice to proficiency.

bradm

JamesH,
    Sounds like you run one of the best Krav Mage programs in the country. Too bad you are not in the Orlando area.

As for Weapons defense training. I trained in Krav Maga for over three years – reached level-3 before moving from Atlanta to Orlando. We seldom got any weapons delf defense training. When we did is was a special gun defense seminar our chief instructor held. Hardly enough to get proficient. And knife defense – nada. When asked why we didn’t get more weapons defnese training, the answer was: ” weapons defense training starts at level 3 and level 4.

This queston has been brought up on this forum in the past. I’m not going to research the post to quote them, but other Krav instructors have also posted and stated that weapons defense doesn’t start until higher levels of training are reached (level-3/4). If you provide weapons training early on at your school, I think that is great. If KMWW has changed the curriculum to include weapons training starting in level-1, that is even better.

giant-killer

I think it’s still the same, weapons officially start at LV4 (according to the KM book written by John and Darren), but sometimes some weapons techniques will be taught in LV3.

I think training in KM for three years and not having done any weapons techniques is sad. It makes sense to start with the simpler stuff first, especially if you are training someone who has never taken any fighting or self-defense classes before (and may not even know how to punch), but ideally they should be able to get into weapons defenses within a year or so (about 3-4 month until yellow belt LV2, 3-4 until orange LV3, then about 8 months or so until green, but some weapons should be taught in LV3).

Would also be good if people, who are interested in learning weapons right from the start, or are more advanced but want to spend more time on really getting good at these techniques would have an opportunity to do so, maybe through special weapons only classes. There was some talk about maybe implementing those, would be great, especially since there are usually a lot fewer advanced classes than beginner’s classes and thus less opportunity for advanced people (or anyone else) to train in these techniques.

jamesh-d30

BradM let me clarify;
    We don’t teach weapons defenses in Level 1 or 2 classes, but there is ample opportuntiy to learn them through seminars (as you stated), personal training, or simply asking an instructor.

We also hold a few “All level” classes a week where you might work a class that invloves 360 degree defense (L1), 360’s with Counters (L2), and then Knife Defense against overhead stab (L4). Of course it’s important to make sure the fundamentals are sound before raising the stress level and difficulty, but HEY…It’s Krav Maga!

bradm

JamesH,
    Thanks for the clarification. Again, sounds like you run a great training center.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: