Home Forums Private Forums Instructors & Licenseeís Instructor Forums Combat Functional Training

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bull1189

This comment from Ryan in another thread got me thinking:

quote Ryan:

There should be little “cardio”. Maybe some to start class, increasing the heart rate, etc., as part of the warm-up, but the bulk of the fitness training should be combat functional.

So, to Ryan, or anyone else, for that matter: What are good combat functional exercises to integrate into training?

For me, I spend a lot of time working on exercises that build up my students’/my core (a lot more now than I used to :rolleyes:), and some work with doing things like push-ups explosively, squats, etc.

But I guess I’m looking for new and different ideas from folks on that. I like to mix new things into my classes and I also am very keen on focusing on our overall goal/mission to train people in a way that supports getting them home safe.

What do folks here do that works well for them?
    Mike

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Combat Functional Training

Moved into instructors forums 😉

bull1189

Oops,
    I meant to post it there in the first place.

Technology-challenged. That’s me. :D:

garddawg

Part of the problem with fitness is people don’t or are not willing to define terms. Go into a fitness center and ask them what they mean by fitness and they will not have a very succinct or good answer. So lets define terms. When you say you are building up your students core, what exactly do you mean?

bull1189

Good point gd. I focus a lot of attention on strengthening abs, obliques, chest, legs. The following exercises get used a lot:
    Push ups and variances of push ups, such as spiderman pushups, popping up and over a small striking shield to the other side, etc.
    Crunches and variations of crunches (push up with legs and trunk, hold pad between feet and do crunches)
    Flutter kicks
    Bicycles
    I don’t know what you call it, but partner lies on back, other partner pushes his/her legs down towards ground and different angles.
    Plank
    Side Plank
    Squats and jumping squats
    Lunges
    Burpees

For me, I guess the “core” is the core muscles used in movement and explosive movement, and also the muscles that must be there to support your self defense and fighting technique.

The list above is not the only exercises we do, but it does comprise the majority of them (eg., I do a lot of things to support quick movement such as hopping over ropes). I’m looking for ideas that focus on supporting developing a student’s abillity to fight or defend him/her self better.

Any suggestions?

ryan

Garddawg and CF are great references. I am also fond of http://www.rossboxing.com. Also, if you come to fall camp, Shannon Hiromasa will be leading a workout on this very thing. 😉

garddawg

Okay Sean just delete me if this is to much for this thread. This is an instructors forum so I hope this can be a dialogue.

So most people who talk about core strength talk about strengthening the muscles in the mid section of the body, and that is a good place to start, but I think they are missing the boat, especially when they are prepping for a fight or war (I would argue life as well but that is another topic).

To hit hard we have to transfer the power generated from the muscles in the legs and hips into the upper body. To generate power muscles have to contract against a rigid object. The biceps contracts across the elbow joint and moves the forearm. If the humorous is broken what happens, not such a powerful contraction.

So here is where most people miss out when talking about core strength. To transmit the power from the legs into the upper body we have to pass it through the hips into the spine and out into the shoulders/arms etc. So core strength needs to be defined not by having strong abs, but the degree in which you can weld the hips and spine in to a single functional unit. Core strength equals mid line stabilization.

bull1189

quote garddawg:

So here is where most people miss out when talking about core strength. To transmit the power from the legs into the upper body we have to pass it through the hips into the spine and out into the shoulders/arms etc. So core strength needs to be defined not by having strong abs, but the degree in which you can weld the hips and spine in to a single functional unit. Core strength equals mid line stabilization.

Good, this is what I want more information about. What can I do to focus more on this, or what resources are there to take a look at. I am pretty zealous about writing out the different and new exercises I learn at phase training, or any other training I go to, but I want more of a focused approach along these lines to doing things with my class as well as myself.

Thanks for the link Ryan, I’ll check it out.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote garddawg:

Okay Sean just delete me if this is to much for this thread. This is an instructors forum so I hope this can be a dialogue.

Actually Jeff I don’t moderate this forum Kelly does but I hope this thread spurs more conversation on the subject.

It’s a good topic and one I think many instructors can benefit from.

garddawg

Good resources

http://www.CrossFit.com (crossfit beginners at http://www.CrossFitBrandX.com )

Ross Boxing noted above is outstanding

http://www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com

If you have access to barbells
    Deadlifts
    High rep Deadlifts
    Cleans
    Snatches
    Overhead squats
    are great. If you don’t have access to barbells you can do most of these with sandbags.

If you have access to Rings and other gymnastics equipment
    Planches,
    Levers
    Handstands
    Pistols
    are great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: