Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Come on I can take you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    farhan

Last night I was promoted to my first level 1 KM class. I decided to join right after my intro class. Talk about 2 hours of hell. The class was smaller in size and hence everyone got more attention and feedback from the instructor. I noticed my techniques were improving and my confidence was building.

But there was something else building along with all this. I have always been a very non-violent person. I avoid confrontations. But since taking KM I have this ëcome on I can take youí syndrome developing. I am not implying that I started picking fights, but itís this weird voice inside me that tells me that I can take care of myself.

Did anyone else experience something similar?

kravone

Re: Come on I can take you

I believe it was Spiderman’s Uncle Ben that said, “with great power comes great responsibility.” Seriously though, I am sure many of us have experienced something very similar and it seems to be a normal human reaction. I also believe, the genesis may be one of vulnerability in your past that you now feel you can overcome. Whatever it is, you should certainly be very responsible with your newly developed skills to protect yourself and those around you. Remember, KM is a self-defense system (one that turns your attacker into your victim…HooRah!!). Always be in control of your emotions and “flip the switch” when you have to spring into action. Walk in peace!!

farhan

Your right, I am sure it has to do something with the past. I was raised to walk way from violence.

magamike

It’s perfectly natural. If you practice fighting all the time you are going to become more confident that you can fight if you need to. That’s good. Krav and the constant Bas workouts make me feel the same way. I now spend most of my week punching or kicking a human or something designed to simulate a human. Now how is your brain not going to be affected by something like that?

I never get overconfident about fighting, though. I’ve been in enough fights to know that no matter how skilled you are, you can still get busted up in an adult fight. It’s ugly. You can kill or be killed just from the blunt force trauma that two adults can dish out – trained or untrained. Then there are the law suits and criminal charges that can follow, of course.

jjbklb

I hope that I’m never put in a situation that requires using the self-defense skills I’ve pcked up.

Having said that,manys the time when I’ve wondered,’what if’……what if I was attacked.
    Would it go down the way we practice in class…or would I be unlucky enough to get ‘cold-cocked’ & not be able to respond.

I think everyone has experienced this to a degree, and to a degree it is good. Confidence and the way you carry yourself will get you out of a lot of sticky situations before they ever even start. Criminals are looking for soft targets, not someone who looks like they can handle bad situations.

That being said, overconfidence can literally get you killed. Whenever I feel my head swelling a little too big, I have plenty of friends to spar with that I know will beat the humility right back into me.

dckm

i experience this and i walk around with a certain swagger about myself that says “i will NOT be anyone’s victim”. fortunately i haven’t had to use what i know but still, i often size people up when i go out and ask myself “if this huge guy attacked me what would i do?” ANSWER – Kick his ass!
    the reality is people can smell fear on you. now that you’re in krav the fear’s leaving and confidence is taking it’s place. that’s good.
    keep training and improving your skills and your posture and confidence will shoot through the roof. i’ve only been in km 3 months but women have noticed a difference in how i carry myself, and i must admit, i like it.

kazak4x4

My trainer always talks about your own surroundings and size up your opponents. He asked us to size up regular people in regular surroundings (store, bus, street, etc) as an every day practice. Check each person, size them up, find weak points in them and how you would approach the situation if it rose up.

I find myself doing it more and more as I take more Krav and my confidence is growing too fast as well. I hope I am not put into the situation where I have to use Krav and I hope my confidence doesn’t run in front of me, as I am sure you felt the same way.

I think part of Krav teachings is how to be humble and not be a victim. My trainer just got back from California where he spent a weekend training with John Whitman. My trainer described him as someone you will never think holds a threat, but we all know what the truth is.

farhan

Something interesting happened last night. Specially with respect to the topic.

My wife also takes KM with me. Yesterday she went to Walmart and realized that she was more aware of her surroundings. She had never noticed people that way before. She knew where every one was around her with respect to where she was standing and was contemplating different scenarios, as to how to defend if a stimulation arose.

stickfig13

I would say that KM has given me more respect for dangerous physical confrontations. It makes you realize that no matter how big and bad you are, there is always someone bigger and badder.

It doesn’t make me think I can take on anyone. It makes me realize that avoiding the fight is a better option.

magamike

quote stickfig13:

I would say that KM has given me more respect for dangerous physical confrontations. It makes you realize that no matter how big and bad you are, there is always someone bigger and badder.

It doesn’t make me think I can take on anyone. It makes me realize that avoiding the fight is a better option.

Yes, everytime I partner up with one of the bigger guys and he’s delivering just devastatingly powerful elbows to the pad on my chest I can’t help think what that would do to my teeth if he landed that square across my face. It definitely helps keep you humble.

geary

I think those of us who do partake in activities like KM are forever cursed to live the life of anticipation. However, this does give us the edge, (theoretically) that when something does happen, we will be prepared.

Before KM, I was already trained in fighting, had been in countless fights and was already very strong. This gave me a sense of confidence when I walked around or went anywhere. I would often think, I am pretty sure I am the baddest mofo in this place.

With KM, I have humbled significantly and now I often find myself thinking, I may not be the baddest mofo here and if that mofo has a gun, I am going to have to go on the defense and now I know how…..

I do not think cockiness is healthy but confidence is….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: